By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Q2 FY results: 113,6m PS4s Sold, 45,9m+ PS Plus subcriptions as of September 30th, 2020. 107m+ Active monthly users.

Looks like Sony will make 8 billion for the financial year, impressive how they turned things around since 2010.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Farsala said:
PS4 HW following my trajectory, any sale past 120m will be a struggle.

The SW on the other hand is quite high, the profits will sustain the PS5 until it stabilizes.

PS4 has sold ~7,8m so far this year, and the holidays are comeing up.
Its sitting at ~114m units sold.

How much will the PS4 do in the holidays? enough to push it up around 118-119m?
How much of sales will instead go to the PS5?

Whats intresting will be how it sells next year (2021), when the PS5 has already launched.
Will it still be able to do 10m+ next year? They need to price drop the PS4 slim & Pro.... if thats to happend imo.
Still 130m+ is still basically set in stone imo (for the lifetime sales of the PS4).

Yeah qauterly Profits of $1bn leading upto a launch of a new console, is never a bad thing.

Sony's strategy has been PS5 first. So 120m at April, will leave anything after that at a crawling pace. I think Sony intends to stop shipping the PS4 by April 2022, or even before. If the PS5 is a success, then the PS4 is out the door soon. I don't think 130m is possible.

Really very good results. On this foundation, Sony will carry out a flawless generation change.

BUUUT ...
No drop in price, no ps4 pro slim, low shipping and low production.
130M won't happen anymore. 122-125M at best.

It´s still impresive especially with PS5 right about the corner.

Dont think sony are that blind. Im sure a ps4 pro slim is coming. most likely they are waiting until the last possible moment to maximize profits. But something like that would probably launch with the ps5 or at least announced.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

PS4 seems to be sustaining its sales quite ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Farsala said:
PS4 HW following my trajectory, any sale past 120m will be a struggle.

The SW on the other hand is quite high, the profits will sustain the PS5 until it stabilizes.

PS4 has sold ~7,8m so far this year, and the holidays are comeing up

PS4 has shipped 4.9 million this year so far.

It's currently down YOY 43%. It won't ship more than 9 million at best in 2020, probabily around 8.5 million, which would mean a bit over 117 million lifetime.

After that, PS4 won't go much father, being down 40-45% this year even with the COVID boost really should show that PS4 is dying fast.

Will surpass 120 million and maybe reach 125 million which is what i'm thinking honestly, though forget 130 million or more.

Ps Now update? Always curious to see how that’s doing.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Seems the PS4 is still doing good, especially on the software side.
I think PS4 will reach 120 mil, but not much beyond that. It's done in Japan, it's getting there in the US, while EU is the one holding it up.

This is the type of quarter you will want going into the next generation. Retention of the current userbase to come over to the PS5, courting new users with high quality software and not forgetting those with your prior systems so that they know that you are committed in investing in your ecosystem for the long term. With more aggressive pricing the PS4 could have been a 130-150 million machine if wanted but it seems that wasn't their end goal.

sales2099 said:
Ps Now update? Always curious to see how that’s doing.

I think the last one was in the realm of 4M, I was quite surprised with the increase

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."