By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft <3 Valve

UnderwaterFunktown said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Microsoft Gaming revenue 2020: 11bn USD.

Valve (estimated) 2017: 4.3bn USD.

That is as close as we can get.

That Valve estimate is from SteamSpy and only includes game sales, not microtransactions, DLC, the marketplace etc. which is probably a very large portion of their revenue. Hard to say how much ofc. Where exactly is the Microsoft number from?

Anyways from what I could gather they had around 9bn revenue in 2017 if we were going to compare the same year.

Financial report FY 2020

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

My hope would be MS one day acquiring Valve, once Gabe nears his retirement. Steam marketshare and revenue stream is exactly what MS is looking for. Effortless cuts in gaming purchases. Valve is privately owned and that’s exactly the kind of companies MS goes for.

For me, it would mean a significant narrative shift in the console wars. Steam users worst case Xbox allies. Best case Steam users are Xbox ecosystem gamers by default and that would go a long ways in strengthening us against Sony.

Integration between Windows Store and Steam. Valve back catalog games on Game Pass. Game Pass on Steam. A man can dream :)

MS certainly have the money and almost sure they also have the wish to buy Valver. And yes it is quite possible that at some point they will reach an agreement.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Blood_Tears said:
Even the mod in the empire thread said it was nothing. Geoff does weekly video calls pertaining to the direction of this year’s game awards and Spencer and Gabe was among the many guests on his platform. It’s under NDA because it’s about Geoff’s Game Awards show. Really reaching on this one and just a click bait thread. Nothing to see here.

Absolutely!

I mean, when was the last time Microsoft announced anything big at the Game Awards show, right?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

That Valve estimate is from SteamSpy and only includes game sales, not microtransactions, DLC, the marketplace etc. which is probably a very large portion of their revenue. Hard to say how much ofc. Where exactly is the Microsoft number from?

Anyways from what I could gather they had around 9bn revenue in 2017 if we were going to compare the same year.

Financial report FY 2020

Ahh, you have to dig deep in those reports but I found it. 11,5 bn in 2020 and 9,25 bn in 2017.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

those coordinates are of New Zealand indeed; so who knows?

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

Xbox will Team up with Valve.
You heard it here first.

Microsoft is not playing around these days.

So they were playing around before...?

Steam > Xbox

Let’s keep it that way

Ryuu96 said:

Don't mean to be a downer but it's likely nothing.

Geoff was hosting a generic Game Awards meeting with industry folk, Phil was apart of it, some fans were invited to the video call as well to ask Phil questions, Gabe popped in right at the end and answered some questions. It wasn't like Phil, Geoff and Gabe were the only ones there.

Regional Twitter accounts never tweet anything important, with maybe the exception of Xbox UK, if it isn't being teased by the main account it is likely nothing, the New Zealand tease is likely for a NZ launch event (as NZ will be the first place Xbox launches in). Gabe wants to move cause he's been stuck in NZ during this entire pandemic and maybe he's grown to like NZ.

I do think Game Pass will eventually make its way to Steam and who knows, maybe if Gabe decides to retire one day (not really convinced he's at that point yet) Microsoft will acquire Valve but not for a while and I don't think these teases mean anything.

Well he’s 57 right now. Normal age to retire is 65 but I don’t think he will wait that long given his personal wealth. Sometime this upcoming generation we gonna see what he chooses to do upon retirement.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

My hope would be MS one day acquiring Valve, once Gabe nears his retirement. Steam marketshare and revenue stream is exactly what MS is looking for. Effortless cuts in gaming purchases. Valve is privately owned and that’s exactly the kind of companies MS goes for.

For me, it would mean a significant narrative shift in the console wars. Steam users worst case Xbox allies. Best case Steam users are Xbox ecosystem gamers by default and that would go a long ways in strengthening us against Sony.

Integration between Windows Store and Steam. Valve back catalog games on Game Pass. Game Pass on Steam. A man can dream :)

Worst case is "Xbox allies"?.

The worst case is that a massive significant part of PC gaming is under MS control, and that's something I wouldn't want at all. It was bad enough when they tried to put down lock & key with GFWL, it'd be 10x worse if they straight up owned Valve/Steam, because I know they are very much into turning everything they buy towards their Xbox ecosystem, and well, I don't want that, because I've never been a big fan of console ecosystems, because they do not allow for much freedom in the first place. 

I don't want some console folk desiring a PC company be bought out for their petty, completely insignificant console wars.

Don't decide what's best and what's worst for me, or other PC gamers please, because your dreams are not shared by me, nor everyone. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

sales2099 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Don't mean to be a downer but it's likely nothing.

Geoff was hosting a generic Game Awards meeting with industry folk, Phil was apart of it, some fans were invited to the video call as well to ask Phil questions, Gabe popped in right at the end and answered some questions. It wasn't like Phil, Geoff and Gabe were the only ones there.

Regional Twitter accounts never tweet anything important, with maybe the exception of Xbox UK, if it isn't being teased by the main account it is likely nothing, the New Zealand tease is likely for a NZ launch event (as NZ will be the first place Xbox launches in). Gabe wants to move cause he's been stuck in NZ during this entire pandemic and maybe he's grown to like NZ.

I do think Game Pass will eventually make its way to Steam and who knows, maybe if Gabe decides to retire one day (not really convinced he's at that point yet) Microsoft will acquire Valve but not for a while and I don't think these teases mean anything.

Well he’s 57 right now. Normal age to retire is 65 but I don’t think he will wait that long given his personal wealth. Sometime this upcoming generation we gonna see what he chooses to do upon retirement.

It depends a lot of how much he enjoys his work. There are billionaires older than 80 that still likes to work and poor people under 50 that got a way to retire already.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."