By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft <3 Valve

Xbox will Team up with Valve.
You heard it here first.

There are lots of indicators for it. Gabe Newell talking about moving to New Zealand.

In an interview with Geoff Keighley and Phil Spencer (!!!), which is still under NDA.

"The interview's contents are subject to an NDA, but Valve News Network's Tyler McVicker has released some snippets of information from the interview."

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/gabe-newell-is-considering-moving-valve-to-new-zealand

Something is going on. I don't think MS will buy steam or anything like it, but there will be some collaboration between those two. And it should be quite impactful when Gabe and Phil give Geoff Keighley an interview together.

What do you think?

Microsoft is not playing around these days.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Don't know if you aren't just imagining to much from to few info.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DirtyP2002 said:

Something is going on. I don't think MS will buy steam or anything like it, but there will be some collaboration between those two. And it should be quite impactful when Gabe and Phil give Geoff Keighley an interview together.

No reason Valve would sell anyways. They don't reveal much number wise, but there's no doubt they're one of the biggest companies in gaming. They probably have a larger revenue than the Xbox divsion of Microsoft honestly, Steam is a larger platform and the market place is a goldmine for them.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

No reason Valve would sell anyways. They don't reveal much number wise, but there's no doubt they're one of the biggest companies in gaming. They probably have a larger revenue than the Xbox divsion of Microsoft honestly, Steam is a larger platform and the market place is a goldmine for them.

Everything is for sale if the price is right

UnderwaterFunktown said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Microsoft Gaming revenue 2020: 11bn USD.

Valve (estimated) 2017: 4.3bn USD.

That is as close as we can get.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Oh, a Microsoft topic and you are here?
That is a first!

DirtyP2002 said:
DonFerrari said:

Oh, a Microsoft topic and you are here?
That is a first!

Yes because I enter every MS thread... anything useful to add?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DirtyP2002 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Microsoft Gaming revenue 2020: 11bn USD.

Valve (estimated) 2017: 4.3bn USD.

That is as close as we can get.

That Valve estimate is from SteamSpy and only includes game sales, not microtransactions, DLC, the marketplace etc. which is probably a very large portion of their revenue. Hard to say how much ofc. Where exactly is the Microsoft number from?

Anyways from what I could gather they had around 9bn revenue in 2017 if we were going to compare the same year.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Even the mod in the empire thread said it was nothing. Geoff does weekly video calls pertaining to the direction of this year’s game awards and Spencer and Gabe was among the many guests on his platform. It’s under NDA because it’s about Geoff’s Game Awards show. Really reaching on this one and just a click bait thread. Nothing to see here.

My hope would be MS one day acquiring Valve, once Gabe nears his retirement. Steam marketshare and revenue stream is exactly what MS is looking for. Effortless cuts in gaming purchases. Valve is privately owned and that’s exactly the kind of companies MS goes for.

For me, it would mean a significant narrative shift in the console wars. Steam users worst case Xbox allies. Best case Steam users are Xbox ecosystem gamers by default and that would go a long ways in strengthening us against Sony.

Integration between Windows Store and Steam. Valve back catalog games on Game Pass. Game Pass on Steam. A man can dream :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.