By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation fan speed to be updated through firmware

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Not really worried. Having the ability to change and improve over time shouldn't exactly be seen as a negative today. Are game updates, fixes, and patches a big worry? They can be if the game is totally broken at launch, but how many ship that way? The console won't ship broken, it just may not be as optimized or efficient as it can be with direct user hardware data. I mean, it would be really 'cool' if SNY could send out the updated fan settings based on your location. Someone from India probably needs the fan running faster than someone from Canada.

It could also just be set to something more user preferred if it's within heat tolerance. Say the fan is ramping way up and down on a game constantly and many users complain. SNY could just find the sweet spot and set the fan there so it's consistent and doesn't have to ramp up much from that fan speed, while also being reasonably quiet. I'd guess this would be a more rare situation, but if it can be handled on a game by game basis, why not?

It can help with a bunch of things. Would help overall when designing a Pro or Slim. Would help once future third party NVMe SSD's start being used and add more heat to the system. Can probably even help them evaluate the liquid metal degradation as per the temps and heavy user play time. Maybe they know they've gone overkill with the liquid metal formula, and would like to get better data on how well it withstands the gamers pushing it the hardest throughout the gen. If SNY can change the formula a bit to save money on upfront costs, while still offering worthy heat transfer and longevity, again, why not?

It would be odd but cool to see Sony allowing you to set up the fan speed on the margin of "as cool as possible" "as hot as acceptable" "constant speed" or whatever as long as those fall within working boundaries.

Along with the "stock fan curve". Those 4 options would be pretty sweet. That way users would have some noise and longevity options that would be pre determined by SNY and backed up under warranty. 

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

It would be odd but cool to see Sony allowing you to set up the fan speed on the margin of "as cool as possible" "as hot as acceptable" "constant speed" or whatever as long as those fall within working boundaries.

Along with the "stock fan curve". Those 4 options would be pretty sweet. That way users would have some noise and longevity options that would be pre determined by SNY and backed up under warranty. 

I don't bother with either noise or heat. So I would certainly want the one that would give me more durability.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sounds good. Sure the normal solution will be good enough, re-acting to temperature changes, yet to stop noticing changes in fan speed you could set a different baseline per game to have a more constant speed. Cooling a bit 'too much' in easier to render places while not having to ramp up as much to respond to sudden temperature increases in taxing spots.

I hope they put some kind of limiter of menu rendering this time. The fan in the ps4 pro gets really loud in lobbies in GT Sport, pre-race, then when the race starts it slows down to inaudible again. fps must be uncapped in the lobby screen heating up the CPU unnecessarily. The installer from fs2020 has the same issue, utilizing the GPU at 100% for no reason, just to show a progress bar at 1,000,000 fps. Rendering a progress bar >>> effort than rendering the actual game lol.

SvennoJ said:
Sounds good. Sure the normal solution will be good enough, re-acting to temperature changes, yet to stop noticing changes in fan speed you could set a different baseline per game to have a more constant speed. Cooling a bit 'too much' in easier to render places while not having to ramp up as much to respond to sudden temperature increases in taxing spots.

I hope they put some kind of limiter of menu rendering this time. The fan in the ps4 pro gets really loud in lobbies in GT Sport, pre-race, then when the race starts it slows down to inaudible again. fps must be uncapped in the lobby screen heating up the CPU unnecessarily. The installer from fs2020 has the same issue, utilizing the GPU at 100% for no reason, just to show a progress bar at 1,000,000 fps. Rendering a progress bar >>> effort than rendering the actual game lol.

Yes I do agree with you that is odd that sometimes even the PS4 main menu have the fan running faster than the game itself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

SvennoJ said:

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes I do agree with you that is odd that sometimes even the PS4 main menu have the fan running faster than the game itself.

I read an article recently that said the reason for that on PS4 is that devs didn't have enough control apparently. I guess in some games it would push the APU hard unnecessarily, leading to excess heat, heavily ramping up the fan speed in menu's. It said the PS5 will give devs much more control so this shouldn't be much of a concern going forward. I'd assume it depends on the dev though. If they don't take the time to optimize for this, menu ramping could still be an issue in some games here and there possibly. If devs have the capability to fix that though, with enough customer constructive criticism you'd think they would take care of it sooner than later.

Around the Network

As long as it sounds as good as my original ps4 and not louder, i'd be happy.

Hmm, the implication is that early units might not be calibrated properly to deal with real world homes. If they gave units to influencers like the competition did, they would have had real data in advance for the actual launch. Guess they gonna go with the flow.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Hmm, the implication is that early units might not be calibrated properly to deal with real world homes. If they gave units to influencers like the competition did, they would have had real data in advance for the actual launch. Guess they gonna go with the flow.

So you think a handful of influencers would be better testers than the engineering team?

Influencers that do stress test on a 12-18C room, with the console over a table with everything open and plenty of space, testing a crossgen title? Yes sure that would make that Sony approach of updating the fan operation with firmware needless.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

So you think a handful of influencers would be better testers than the engineering team?

Influencers that do stress test on a 12-18C room, with the console over a table with everything open and plenty of space, testing a crossgen title? Yes sure that would make that Sony approach of updating the fan operation with firmware needless.

Can’t beat a real home test. You should see the tests these guys have been doing. Cramped spaces, covers on the Series X top, leaving it on for X amount of time, factors like dust etc. It’s all very fascinating. You yourself made a implication in the OP, I’m just drawing a conclusion based on the article. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Can’t beat a real home test. You should see the tests these guys have been doing. Cramped spaces, covers on the Series X top, leaving it on for X amount of time, factors like dust etc. It’s all very fascinating. You yourself made a implication in the OP, I’m just drawing a conclusion based on the article. 

You do know that engineers with self respect when doing stress test will do very high room temp, cramped and with a lot of dust right? Also simulating aging. I for sure know that even that can't beat hundred million users using it for several years. But influencers doing their tests certainly don't really add much, even more when it is weeks before launch.