Forums - Gaming Discussion - History: Halo vs Doom

Tagged games:

Halo or Doom

Rip and Tear 9 37.50%

Finishing this fight 4 16.67%

Rip and Tear while Finishing this fight 11 45.83%

Total:24

Far out this is hard.

I really love both, and while Doom 2016 beats any Halo game in my opinion, Halo has 5 games I consider excellent compared to 4 for Doom.

All that being said, I haven't played Eternal yet, and I expect that will give the definitive edge to Doom, but I can't say for sure until I play it.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Outside of being an FPS neither are the same at all. Doom is still great. Halo feels past it's prime and limping onto 2007 still to me. Halo to me is like Sonic in a way. It was the new kid on the block. It was new, exciting, and fresh for almost a decade. Then it kinda felt old and going down in quality and mot enough new to feel fresh anymore. Never fully recapturing that feeling. Doom always feels fresh. Halo still has it's fanbase as does Sonic but not the industry darling anymore. Unlike Sonic the series never went rotten thankfully but I do think it's somewhat mediocre now. Doom always finds a way to feel familiar yet brand new at the same time.

They may not be the same by core design and story, that's not really where the rivalry holds between these two franchises. These two FPS games are some of the longest serving in the FPS genre and have been king on multiple occasions. Both have also had their low periods, Doom fell in that hole with Final Doom, Doom 64 (Which i enjoyed) and Doom 3 (Which was alright) while Halo's fall was really with Halo 5 due to its direction rather than its quality. They are all top of the class when it comes to quality built games. They are also the FPS shooters with Green armored super solders as there main heroes. Also Bungies original intention was to create a Doom killer, failed with Marathon however succeeded with Halo, now Doom is now showing up turning the tables around. Its just a fascinating scenario between the two.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 21 October 2020

I'm just glad we are past the age of Sony and the industry using terms like "Halo Killer" esp when it came to Killzone and Haze.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Man, Marathon? Game had some kinda mystery aspect and the soundtrack was mood and chill. lol

Also Doom vs Halo was great time, i used to play Doom 3 and Halo 2 on my original Xbox back in summer 2005, such a nice combo back then. :D

Until then i'm still playing Classic Doom for mods.

Of the ones I've played neither series really has a bad game, but that said I haven't played Halo 5 and what I've seen of that one doesn't impress me. Doom 3 was probably the least excellent doom entry but it's still a good game.

These two are probably the #2 and #3 best FPS franchises ever in my book, with Bioshock taking #1.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

I liked Quake 3 Arena and Doom 64 a lot. Never cared about the others in the series. Quake II was good though.

To me, Halo: Combat Evolved is and always will (likely) be the best 1st person shooter ever made.

I’m excited of having a cross-over.

snyps said:
I liked Quake 3 Arena and Doom 64 a lot. Never cared about the others in the series. Quake II was good though.

To me, Halo: Combat Evolved is and always will (likely) be the best 1st person shooter ever made.

I’m excited of having a cross-over.

That's a hard one... Doom 1 and 2 for me are absolutely legendary. 3... Not so much

Halo 1. 2 and 3 are absolutely legendary. 5.... Not so much.

Have to give it to Halo.

Original Doom is one of my top games of all time. But the series dipped for almost 20 years until the reboot. Meanwhile Halo was always the bigger franchise when it released. And for me, Halo will always have the better story that’s always expanding.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I've personally never seen Halo and Doom as franchises that rival each other.