By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future of Physical Media in consoles - end of disks?

DPsx7 said:
Shiken said:

A simple google search would tell you that in 2018, only 17% of game sales were physical.  You got it backwards, the digital demand is higher.  And now that both Sony and MS are releasing all digital versions of their consoles at a cheaper price, it is obvious they are starting to push in that direction.  Throw in the value of gamepass and the like, newer generations of gamers already accepting digital, and a DECREASE in demand for physical game...the writing is on the wall.

You are right, they can do nothing without the consumer being on board.  What you fail to realize is that the majority of consumers (sadly) are already supporting the notion.

This is wrong. We've gone over why the percentages are off. There's digital content that doesn't have a physical option and even when you buy a disc the DLC gives points to the digital side. No easy way to compare. Oh and if that includes mobile...

I see the attempt but everyone knows it's game over if they didn't offer physical. Look how this gen started out when someone got pushy. They got what they deserved. Gamepass is just a lazy way to do BC. Not impressed. Especially when you consider that you're stuck paying every month whether you play anything or not. Better to pay once and be done.

Not saying we have to get rid of digital. It has its place as an option for smaller games that can't make it to disc. Thing is the market understands that with digital it's too easily lost. No sales, no used or trading, something as simple as a hacked account or server/internet outage means you can't do anything. Talk about moving backwards.

Lol, nah. Topics like this or even the preorder numbers say otherwise. Failure of other digital consoles is also reassuring.

Even Sony specifically reported that over half their revenue has been digital in 2019 (without even including PS Plus games).  You can he in denial all you want.  It won't change what is coming and the demand of digital is already higher than that of physical.

As for pre orders, yeah you can do that digital as well.

And holy shit if you think Gamepass is a lazy way of doing BC.  You do realize it focuses on current gen games, with new MS IPs day one...right?  Even EA Access is included now.  Given you don't even know what gamepass really is, I think I will end this conversation here.  You will clearly twist whatever you need to in order to support what you want to be true.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

It wouldn't surprise me if games continue to come of blu-ray. Either download the rest or multiple discs. I doubt they are going to change production lines to 4K blu-rays while pushing digital. Heck, FS 2020 came out on 10 DVDs (only available in Europe)

That was because PCs when they have a physical media reader it is dvd instead of bd. So MS gone and launched for the most common (and still niche) PC market. Xbox can read DVD but you can bet the game will come on BD.

I don't think printing the games on 4K BD will be that much more expensive long term than making more discs or if consumers will be happy with all games needing download to even play (Sony said all their physical PS4 and PS5 games could be played after installing without any need to connect to the internet).

They have 4K players anyway and 4K blu-ray has been around for a while so sure why not. At the start of the gen I'm guessing we'll continue to get blu-ray discs. Cross-gen titles that can be read on both the old and new machines. 4K blu-rays should also install a bit faster. Blu-ray was up to 27 MBs on ps4 (6x), 32 minutes to copy a full 50GB disc. BDXL goes up to 128 GB, if rotating at the same speed that should reduce copy times to 40%.

If Sony and MS would fix their damn download speeds, I'd have no problems with this. As it stands, it just isn't good enough for me to go fully digital. Plus, the atrocious pricing for extra storage is a big no-no.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

That was because PCs when they have a physical media reader it is dvd instead of bd. So MS gone and launched for the most common (and still niche) PC market. Xbox can read DVD but you can bet the game will come on BD.

I don't think printing the games on 4K BD will be that much more expensive long term than making more discs or if consumers will be happy with all games needing download to even play (Sony said all their physical PS4 and PS5 games could be played after installing without any need to connect to the internet).

They have 4K players anyway and 4K blu-ray has been around for a while so sure why not. At the start of the gen I'm guessing we'll continue to get blu-ray discs. Cross-gen titles that can be read on both the old and new machines. 4K blu-rays should also install a bit faster. Blu-ray was up to 27 MBs on ps4 (6x), 32 minutes to copy a full 50GB disc. BDXL goes up to 128 GB, if rotating at the same speed that should reduce copy times to 40%.

Well sure for games that you buy for PS4/X1 and want to use the BC or patches it certainly will be regular BD, for the PS5 version not sure if they would use the same disc (I guess not because Sony allows you to play the PS5 version without need of internet, so the whole file needs to be there), MS with their smart delivery I have no idea if crossgen titles will be sold a single version that you can use on either consoles or how it will work.

Mummelmann said:
If Sony and MS would fix their damn download speeds, I'd have no problems with this. As it stands, it just isn't good enough for me to go fully digital. Plus, the atrocious pricing for extra storage is a big no-no.

I agree the speed is low, and from all we know the one in PS4 is much slower than on Xbox. But it never been a real issue to me, even for digital games I generally buy the game while I'm still playing something else so it is downloaded when I finish that. Sure Yakuza trilogy that I bought when I had nothing else to play I had to wait so I watched series, and CoD MW Remastered that for god know why deleted itself for no good reason I had to wait a full 100Gb download just to finish the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DPsx7 said:
Conina said:

I bought my first digital games in 2006 (a few PC games on Steam + Telltale Store, PS3 games on PSN and Xbox 360 games on XBL marketplace)... they all still work. The 360 games even run on my Xbox One X, most of them enhanced. So I can't complain.

Usually only multiplayer online modes gets shut down... both for the retail and digital versions at the same time.

I see plenty of people using this logic. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. We've lost a handful of titles over the years due to expired licenses. Luckily I don't think anything I bought is gone yet. If your account is compromised or your drive fails, that will suck. There isn't a lot of precedent on what may happen to digital games in the future. Can they host them forever? Will they allow offline play or users to share files if a server goes away? I figure why chance it, buy the disc and have no worries.

And our physical games / movies can be damaged or get unusable by fire, water, heat, cold, pressure, laser rot, scratches, rusted contacts, empty batteries (can't hold savegames anymore), old copy protections like Securom, Tagès, StarForce... Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. 

Last edited by Conina - on 20 October 2020

Around the Network
Leynos said:

"but emulation" it's a shallow experience.

It's getting a new game in the mail or finding some treasure out in the wild in a store or yard sale or flea market. That is a thrill. Not knowing anything about an old retro game you bought. It could be amazing or bad but the exciting thing is not knowing.
Steam or whatever is soulless to me. A page that tells you everything about the game. People reviewed it.

You aren't forced to read the Steam / XBL / PSN /eShop description or reviews. So you can have the same thrill of not knowing anything about an old retro game you bought. It could be amazing or bad. So you can still have the excitement of not knowing.

Hearing the click of a cartridge popping in or opening the lid to pop the CD in and pressing power.

Pawlow would be proud. Your classical conditioning worked.

Reading the manual.

Most physical games of the last two decades don't have manuals anymore. Both physical and digital versions of a newer game have tutorials instead. Many old digital games have the manual as PDF included, f.e. most GOG games.

It's a build-up to playing the game. The anticipation leading up.
You click to download...yay. Boring.

So waiting for the download to finish can't be a build-up to playing the game?

All I get in digital games is. Cool game. Play for 5 minutes. Download another.

Seems to be your personal problem if your reaction to the same game is different knowing that it doesn't come with a bit of plastic and paper.

Backlog of steam games most people don't play or finish. 

Why do you care if other people finish every game? How much physical games do you have? How much of them have you finished?

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

BDXL goes all the way up to 128GB, both the Xbox One S, One X, Series S, Series X, Playstation 5 support that.

Thanks for giving that info, so 28% more than what I was expecting. Should be enough for most games of 9th gen, but sure thing we will get some 2 discs due to 4k assets.

Some 7th gen games were running 4k textures/assets (Rage comes to mind for example with 4096x4096 textures), 8th gen games it was even more common with some games using 8k assets.
I would expect 16k assets to be the general 9th gen target.

Output resolution and asset resolution like textures tends to be independent of each other.

128GB should be more than sufficient for 99% of games, you can definitely fit more than 128GB of data on an optical disk using compression...
And the benefit there is we can dump that data directly form optical disk to the SSD in an already-compressed state and the hardware decompression on the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X can decompress it on the fly on a per-needs basis.

Truly fantastic stuff in all honesty.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Thanks for giving that info, so 28% more than what I was expecting. Should be enough for most games of 9th gen, but sure thing we will get some 2 discs due to 4k assets.

It wouldn't surprise me if games continue to come of blu-ray. Either download the rest or multiple discs. I doubt they are going to change production lines to 4K blu-rays while pushing digital. Heck, FS 2020 came out on 10 DVDs (only available in Europe)

Hoping they do.

The interesting thing with the Xbox Series X/Xbox Series S is if Microsoft ever wanted to ditch blu-ray media for one reason or another and retain physical media... They have a very convenient high-speed cartridge slot, so if ROM ever manages to match NAND in a cost/performance basis, Microsoft can produce carts and be automagically be compatible from the get-go.

It also means that potentially the Xbox Series S may not always be a digital-only console.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

The interesting thing with the Xbox Series X/Xbox Series S is if Microsoft ever wanted to ditch blu-ray media for one reason or another and retain physical media... They have a very convenient high-speed cartridge slot, so if ROM ever manages to match NAND in a cost/performance basis, Microsoft can produce carts and be automagically be compatible from the get-go.

It also means that potentially the Xbox Series S may not always be a digital-only console.

That reminds me: the Commodore 64 supported cassettes, floppy disks and cartridges. Some games were even available for all three formats... crazy.

Last edited by Conina - on 20 October 2020

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Hoping they do.

Can it not always simply install from USB? I doubt ROM nor NAND will ever match stamping a disc. And what's stopping MS or anyone from adding an external blu-ray drive to the S?

What do you think the read speed will be for the 4K drives in the ps5 and Series X? I could only find something for the ps4, 6x speed, 27 MB/s and this

Here's an area where Xbox Series X hasn't improved: When installing from a disc. According to GamesRadar+'s preview coverage of the new Xbox, its disc installation times are almost identical to last-gen. The example given is that Titanfall 2 took about 35 minutes to install.
https://www.destructoid.com/stories/xbox-series-x-isn-t-any-quicker-at-installing-games-from-discs-607037.phtml

Yet that's installing from blu-ray, not BDXL. A 6x speed drive should deliver data from BDXL about 2.5 times faster unless for some reason it needs to spin slower for BDXL discs. The only other figure I can find is 144 mbps max for 4K blu-ray which is only 18 MB/s

DPsx7 said:
Shiken said:

Even Sony specifically reported that over half their revenue has been digital in 2019 (without even including PS Plus games).  You can he in denial all you want.  It won't change what is coming and the demand of digital is already higher than that of physical.

As for pre orders, yeah you can do that digital as well.

And holy shit if you think Gamepass is a lazy way of doing BC.  You do realize it focuses on current gen games, with new MS IPs day one...right?  Even EA Access is included now.  Given you don't even know what gamepass really is, I think I will end this conversation here.  You will clearly twist whatever you need to in order to support what you want to be true.

And again, that revenue includes things that cannot be physical so it's not an honest representation. Hell if a season pass is $99 (I dunno what they average) that's gonna offset 2 physical copies. The only way to do it is strip out all the 'extra' stuff and worry about the base game on disc versus the base game digital. Will they do that? Probably not, income is income and since we're not getting rid of either format it's just unnecessary work.

You come across as the type of person who misreads the data and acts like it can't be any other way.

Oh boy now you have another method to buy the same Gears, Halo, Forza combo. There's a bunch of fans who desperately want this to be huge but it's really not. Yep, stubborn people tend to run off before the topic is over. Whatever.

Yep only acceptable comparison would be for like the first couple months or first year the sales of the game (not revenue, units) physical vs digital. That will show how many are really chosing download instead of that being the only option.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."