By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your lifetime sales expectations for PlayStation 5?

Your lifetime sales expectations for PlayStation 5?

Less than 70 million 101 8.27%

70.0 - 79.9 million 48 3.93%

80.0 - 89.9 million 97 7.94%

90.0 - 99.9 million 136 11.13%

100.0 - 109.9 million 274 22.42%

110.0 - 119.9 million 166 13.58%

120.0 - 129.9 million 176 14.40%

130.0 - 139.9 million 51 4.17%

140.0 - 150.0 million 34 2.78%

More than 150 million 139 11.37%

Total:1,222

90-100 mil at best. Sony is losing ground in Japan and MS will be cutting into their sales more than last gen everywhere else. Between Gamepass being so affordable, XBox series consoles, and increasing PC userbases...there is little reason for anyone to buy a PS5 if they are not into Sony's 1st party games.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Damn, clicked the wrong one int he poll, wanted to say slightly above 90M but clicked 80-90M

RolStoppable said:
eva01beserk said:

How, for most of 25 years the playstation has remained dominat in the US. The only outlier here was the ps360 gen. Aside from that, the ps4 took a lot of its mindshare back. one out of four is not a good metric t claim this. You can say that the US is the more balanced region with the less biase. I would agree. The rest of the world aside from the UK have made their minds and are not changing.

And no, exclusives dint lead the power narrative at the begining of the ps360 gen. It sure did at the end of the gen when sony had their shit toghether and their games looked far better and games like the last of us looked better than anything at the time. Multiplats by then where almost on par, while at the begining the 360 had a very big lead.

But they dont dominate the top 10. If you look at this site then you might think that as charts are not updated it seems. but look ad unchaarted, official sony released data sais they are avove 16m. Its cnsidered to be the #2 before gtav. games like horizon god or war and spiderman also chart in the top 10 when adjusted. Where exactly, I cant say I know as other big third partys could also need adjusting. But aside from that and Read dead redemption 2, its littered with fifas and COD. Not ssaying that people buy playsation for its exclusives alone like they do nnintendo, but they sure have a big impact and I would say top priority unlike for the xbox. WHere you use the top 10 it will look good for sony, but if you go higher there are just a lot more releases by third partys than sony alone.

I would never   buy a digital console, I would not even buy digital games. But to say that the digital console is gimped is just absurd. While it sucks the fact is that the younger gamers are moving more and more digital. Dint they report that like 50% of gaamers are digital only just a while back? What is gimped is a weaker console that is basicly planed obsolence and will most liekly remaine on the market untill a slim of the real console shows up in a couple of years. Some are even speculating that some debs will make games excluding the S cuz they dont want their games gimped. Will sony limit their digigtal because they dont want to loose money? I agree, I cnt inmagine just how much they are loosing per unit. Still it gives them the cost narrative as that is atractive to 50% of the population or so. 

PS has only been dominant in the USA with the PS1 and PS2. The PS3 was a clear loss and the PS4 merely won by beating the XB1 with an average of less than 1m units per year. It really only takes a few millions to switch from PS to Xbox to make the XSX|S sell better than the PS5 in the USA.

You basically conceded the point about the power narrative, so nothing more for me to say here.

I am not looking at this site's numbers because I know that they haven't been updated. But it's safe to say that CoD has kept selling 10m+ copies on the PS4, so in order for a game to be in the top 10, 10m must be the absolute minimum. There are only four Sony games that have reached that mark (Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man), so best case is four Sony games in the top 10. If we extended the list to top 20, we'd likely have five Sony games at best, because there's a notable dropoff from Sony's heavy hitters to their remaining games. What's true is that Sony's exclusives have had a bigger impact than Microsoft's lackluster first party over the course of the generation, but all the big PS4 games from Sony didn't arrive until the generation had long been decided by having the better multiplatform games. Note that my point has not been that exclusives are not important, but rather that exclusives are less important than how multiplatform games perform.

The ~50% was about how many recent game sales have been digital, but does not indicate how many gamers would be fine with a digital-only console. Aside from that, I don't think this point about cost narrative will progress any further, so let's make it quick and agree to disagree on that one.

We seem to be making the same arguments. Just that I believe it will be to late by the time MS implements.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Hm. Sony's consoles take up the #1, #2, #3, and #5 top-selling home consoles of all time prior to the release of the Ps5. (I think we all know the Switch is gonna wiggle its way into that top 5 somehow; it's doing too well, too consistently to not.)

Put all of those consoles together and you get 461.29 million consoles. PS4 is still gonna get another few million, since Sony consoles regularly sell well for a year or more after their successors come out, and with Backwards Compatibility I can genuinely see the PS4 doing PS2 numbers post PS5 launch, since so many people might say "Get a Ps4 for now, get all the games, and when the Ps5 is cheap we can just transfer everything over". It's a bit of a stretch, but I think it's reasonable.

As of right now, the average is 115 million consoles between the PS1-4. I figure the Ps4 will end up about 124-132 million, and the PS5 will do about the same. so I'm comfortable saying 120 million. THAT SAID...I wouldn't be surprised if, given the shift in momentum this last generation and the fact that Sony is just cruisin' on a wave of good press and good decisions that started with the PS4 and haven't really let up, I wouldn't be surprised if it got as high as 140-150 million. They're doing pretty much everything right as far as I can tell, from the focus on fast loading and versatility to the balance between cross-gen and next gen games to the new controller and pretty much everything else. Plus, rather than take 2-3 years to build up steam with their library like they did with PS3 and 4, they're coming out the gate with an absolutely stellar first year with a bunch of games that are either sequels to mega-selling, critically acclaimed hits, or remakes to classics that were overlooked in their time, or a few new IPs that genuinely look great so far (But could be duds; we won't know till they're out.)

Point is, I don't think we're getting a PS3 flounder this time. They learned their lesson, applied those lessons to the Ps4, and it paid off heavily. It looks like they're continuing that momentum with good decisions and great games that appeal to a wide variety of worldwide gamers. My official guess is 120-130, but it appears I got overzealous and already voted 140-150 (No big deal, I could see it in either range depending on how things shake up.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Interesting times ahead that is for sure.

Both consoles have stepped up their game. Both killed a little bit by Nvidia's GFX card announcement of the RTX3000 series

Overall there appears to a consistent total number last few gens between the two console and the only thing that changes is the ratio.

Now here is the kicker, People from the last two gens are now older and have a better disposable income. At the same time people who starter in the ATARI/NES world a slowly dying off. Will the gen of kids (who started on PS3/XBOX360) ow start buying both consoles as they got disposable incomes? Or will they continue to chose one or the other?

If no significant change in purchasing behaviour and most still buy one console, I can see XBOX maybe gaining 20Million away from PS4 total if their recent acquisitions become exclusive to the XBOX. So the 125million or so that the PS4 will end up on will probably drop to 105million for PS5.

If significant change in purchasing behaviour and a fair chunk do buy both consoles, I can see XBOX at 80million and PS5 at 130million.

Around the Network

I expect the PS5 to have a stronger start but a weaker finish than the PS4. This is a trend that the PS4 had with the PS3 as well. Xbox should put up more of a fight this time at the 2nd half. So my prediction is 110 Million.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Cobretti2 said:

Both consoles have stepped up their game. Both killed a little bit by Nvidia's GFX card announcement of the RTX3000 series

Overall there appears to a consistent total number last few gens between the two console and the only thing that changes is the ratio.

Now here is the kicker, People from the last two gens are now older and have a better disposable income. At the same time people who starter in the ATARI/NES world a slowly dying off. Will the gen of kids (who started on PS3/XBOX360) ow start buying both consoles as they got disposable incomes? Or will they continue to chose one or the other?

If no significant change in purchasing behaviour and most still buy one console, I can see XBOX maybe gaining 20Million away from PS4 total if their recent acquisitions become exclusive to the XBOX. So the 125million or so that the PS4 will end up on will probably drop to 105million for PS5.

If significant change in purchasing behaviour and a fair chunk do buy both consoles, I can see XBOX at 80million and PS5 at 130million.

Slowly dying off? NES kids (like myself) are 40 not 80!

Signature goes here!

it´ll sell over 100M units. That is for certain, with a 399 SKU, altough Physical Edition Ps5 will have the BULK of the sales among the hardcore crowd.

As time goes and more sensitive consumers enter the generation, they´ll look for promotions or buy the digital edition, it´ll play Fortnite/FIFA/CoD/Geshin/Apex etc with GREAT visuals and 60fps. Physical media is pretty much dead anyway.

So the question is, how much above 100M? Well it depends, i´ll go with the same as Ps4 should end up with (if Sony drops the price and keeps supporting it) so around 125M units.

TruckOSaurus said:
Cobretti2 said:

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

TruckOSaurus said:
Cobretti2 said:

As bad as it sounds yes lol. Had a few friends die in the  late 30s to early 40s