By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official VG Chartz Smash Tournament Sign Up (1 slots Left! Win Fabulous Prizes!)

Tagged games:

Sign me up! I'll post my FC later today

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
padib said:
Am I going to have to buy a Switch and Smash just to kick all your asses?

It does seem like the only choice, yeah.

Runa216 said:

I played some online last night and got infuriated with players online. Any time it was a stock battle, the two other players would stay at opposite ends of the screen, I'd have to chase them down to make them engage, they'd gang up on me and fight me till I died and lost all my stock, then would basically run out the timer waiting for the other one to attack. I gave them 30 seconds. If they didn't engage and fight with honour, I'd just disconnect, ending their fight. 

Fuck them. Play the goddamn game, you cowards. 

This is the issue with free-for-all stock battles at a competitive level. The optimal strategy is to camp your opponents until there's only one left. I agree timed matches are best for when there are multiple people involved, but in terms of being competitively viable, it introduces a lot of other issues, mostly regarding the "randomness" of getting kills where only the very last hit matters. It works when you just wanna have fun, because if the optimal play is to get that last hit in, well, people will be trying to hit opponents at least once. So it's better than stock.

But yeah, multiple player matches are flawed in both stock and time modes, which is why there are no free-for-all tournaments. 1v1s or 2v2s are quite good competitively with stocks, but that's a wholly different dynamic, I get that. Either way, doing anything more than 1v1 online is just a bad choice, there's so much extra lag with each additional player.

Either way, are you going into Quickplay for online matchmaking? If you are, I'd suggest you stop doing that immediately and go for Battle Arenas instead. Quickplay is trash.

are there ways to go into battle arenas with people who aren't my friends? I always did quickplay because that's what I thought was best. 

Also, I wish I could chose Random. I'm always just playing for fun and If eel the balance is pretty good this time around so I love playing as everyone but Wario.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Here's mi FC: SW-7381-0673-1717
I'm fine with 3 stock no items any stage

Alright still in need of two more people!

But here are what will likely be the tournament rules.

If we get two more people to make it to 8, we'll do double elimination format. Meaning that when you lose, you do not get eliminated, but get sent to the loser's bracket. If you lose in the loser's bracket, then you're done. No johns.

The winner of winner's bracket and the winner of the loser's bracket will face off in grand finals. The player from the winner's bracket needs to win one set. The player from losers will have to win 2 in a row. It that seems off, just think of it like this. Winner still has 2 lives. Loser lost 1 before.

If nobody else joins and we only have 6, we'll instead do a round robin. In a round robin tournament, each player plays each other player once. Whoever wins the most of their matches wins it all. If there's a tie at the end, the winners will face off head to head.

Rules

1. Each round will be best 2/3 games.

2. 3 Stock 8 minute time limit

3. Items off/Final Smash Meter Off

4. Stages- Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, Town and City. Hazards off.

Before the first match starts each player may propose adding any 1 stage of their choice to the list of legal stages. If both players agree, both stages are legal for that set. If either player disagrees then no changes are made to the stage.

I.e. Player A suggests adding Rainbow Cruise. Player B suggests adding Castle Siege. If the players both agree, either stage can be picked. If player A says yes but player B says no, then neither stage can be picked. It's not a debate though, if one players says no, move on.

5. For the first game, players will come to an agreement on which stage they will play on. If players can not agree, then the game will be played on Pokemon Stadium 2.

6. The winner of a game MUST select the same character. The loser can select whatever character they want, and picks the stage.

I think that's pretty much it? If there's anything important I missed or anything is confusing let me know. 

In terms of etiquette, I'll just say, don't be an asshole. It's for fun, so if you're going to be uber competitive, maybe it's not for you.

I'd like to give it a shot. Might as well practice a bit.

FC: SW-5132-3645-3137

Around the Network

Mkay added. One more.

mZuzek said:
That's a pretty basic ruleset, huh. Almost like actual tournaments.

As a Pokémon Stadium 2 hater, it's pretty annoying that it'll be the standard starter stage for most matches. Oh well.

I wanted to use a stage that most people aren't that familiar with, as not to give any advantage to one player. I could be convinced to use Smashville instead.

mZuzek said:
JWeinCom said:

I wanted to use a stage that most people aren't that familiar with, as not to give any advantage to one player. I could be convinced to use Smashville instead.

Why not Small Battlefield? It's a widely beloved stage, has the BF/FD benefit of having every song available, but without having alternate forms with backgrounds that can be distracting to some. It's also pretty new, so no one's too used to it yet.

Also, what are these "fabulous prizes"?

$5 eShop card. Doesn't get more fabulous than that. Small battlefield is fine.

First round gonna start tomorrow. One slot left! Otherwise someone gets a bye.

JWeincom (4) SW-3347-1672-8217 (Justin) 3 Stock, no items, BField forms/Omega forms/Small Battlefield
mZuzek (6) SW-5758-2421-1219 reduced stagelist with stage hazards off, no FS meter of course, and some items set on low.
SanAndreasX (2) SW 1368-5461-1518 (Super King)
SuperMario28 (7)  SW-4262-2718-3900 3 stock, no items, FD only, no DLC characters
UltraShroomz (3) SW 0731-6937-5596
Rob DX(1) SW 7381-0673-1717
GoOnKid (5) SW-5132-3645-3137

@mZuzek @SanAndreasX @Supermario28 @Ultrashroomz @RobDX @GoOnKid 

Will be making a new topic with official rules and bracket in a couple of hours. Rules will basically be the same as described, except I decided just to use the basic stage list for simplicity's sake, and ban Steve since he won't be available once the tournament starts and it seems a bit unfair that someone's first exposure to the character may literally be in the tournament.

If anyone else wants to join, let me know!