By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official VG Chartz Smash Tournament Sign Up (1 slots Left! Win Fabulous Prizes!)

Tagged games:

I think in the interest of fostering community it's good to actually play some games together sometimes. In the interest of that I decided to set up an official Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament! 

The actual rules will be released in the future, because it depends on the number of participants and preferences. Here are the things set in stone.

1. The tournament will be 1v1. It will be difficult to organize, and for a first attempt, I think 1v1 will be much more feasible.

2. The tournament will be asynchronous. Meaning we don't all have to be on at a certain time. For each round, you'll probably have at least a 3 day and at most a 7 day window to set up a game, depending on the number of participants and format. If you think that you may not be able to work it into your schedule, then please don't sign up. 

3. The tournament will LIKELY be best of 3, single elimination format. Depending on the number of players, that may change. If it's something like 8 it may be double elimination, if it's only 5 or 6 it might be round robin, etc. If you don't know what these terms mean, that's OK! I'll explain.

4. Please have decent internet. Smash ain't the best game over wi-fi. If your connection sucks, please be courteous. If you have wired that's a huge plus, but not required since it's not a native Switch feature. 

5. The first 16 people to sign up (if there are that many) will be guaranteed a spot. If there are more, I still encourage you to sign up, but no guarantees.

6. Anyone who participates is expected to accept defeat with graciousness. Conversely, victors are expected to be classy. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to participate in future tournaments if this becomes a thing. If there's some sort of issue or challenge with a result, I may step in to adjudicate, but as I plan on playing I would much prefer another mod who doesn't want to join take that responsibility.

7. Tournament will be stock not time. 

8. If people are willing to record and upload matches that'd be awesome!

So, to sign up, give your name, friend code, and any particular rule preferences. Not a guarantee that I'll do your rules but if an overwhelming majority want items for instance (filthy casuals) we may do that. See example below. And let me know if you'd like to see something set up for other games!

Name Friend Code/Name Rule Preferences
JWeincom (4) SW-3347-1672-8217 (Justin) 3 Stock, no items, BField forms/Omega forms/Small Battlefield
mZuzek (6) SW-5758-2421-1219 reduced stagelist with stage hazards off, no FS meter of course, and some items set on low.
SanAndreasX (2) SW 1368-5461-1518 (Super King)
SuperMario28 (7)  SW-4262-2718-3900 3 stock, no items, FD only, no DLC characters
UltraShroomz (3) SW 0731-6937-5596
Rob DX(1) SW 7381-0673-1717
GoOnKid (5) SW-5132-3645-3137

Gonna start this up on Monday! 

And just to sweeten the pot the winner will receive a $5 Digital Gift Card for the Nintendo eShop! Wow! 

That should be enough to make winning more fun, but not enough to make people go ape shit. If the winner is me, I will receive nothing, but I will like, give myself a cupcake or something and do a happy dance.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 11 October 2020

Around the Network

I love smash, but man I hate stock battles. I suppose it makes sense for tournament play but for casual play I avoid it like the plague becuase I'm playing to have fun, not to win. If I play with my usual style, I am always the first one out and my two or three friends - all of which were once tournament-good - will dance around each other for half an hour while I dick around doing nothing.

I also like items, but again I understand why it's better without them for tournaments.

I'd like to join, but man it's so far out of my comfort zone I know for a fact I'd come in last. I'm not great at Smash, but I would love to have more experience with it. I'm tagging this thread to see if I change my mind and wanna join. Gonna kinda get a feel for the competition before I commit.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
I love smash, but man I hate stock battles. I suppose it makes sense for tournament play but for casual play I avoid it like the plague becuase I'm playing to have fun, not to win. If I play with my usual style, I am always the first one out and my two or three friends - all of which were once tournament-good - will dance around each other for half an hour while I dick around doing nothing.

I also like items, but again I understand why it's better without them for tournaments.

I'd like to join, but man it's so far out of my comfort zone I know for a fact I'd come in last. I'm not great at Smash, but I would love to have more experience with it. I'm tagging this thread to see if I change my mind and wanna join. Gonna kinda get a feel for the competition before I commit.

Up to you.

I really prefer stock... as I think with time it gives an incentive to be very defensive towards the end in 1v1. Whereas, when it's more players it does the opposite and incentivizes you to be aggressive.

If people like REALLY preferred time battle I guess I could be swayed. 

JWeinCom said:
Runa216 said:

Up to you.

I really prefer stock... as I think with time it gives an incentive to be very defensive towards the end in 1v1. Whereas, when it's more players it does the opposite and incentivizes you to be aggressive.

If people like REALLY preferred time battle I guess I could be swayed. 

Please don't sway on me. I'm the exception, not the rule. I guarantee anyone who wants to join a tournament agrees with Stock (the presentation of Stock battles has been greatly improved in Ultimate for a reason). 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Sure I'd be down to play, gonna wait if enough people are interested I guess.

EDIT: SW 0731-6937-5596

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 08 October 2020

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:

Sure I'd be down to play, gonna wait if enough people are interested I guess.

Put your name in. Worst case scenario, we don't get enough people, and we take you off.

mZuzek said:

Oh no.

Just when I thought I was getting away from online, it haunts me in VGC of all places?

...Ugh, okay. Count me in.

My preferences would be for a reduced stagelist with stage hazards off, no FS meter of course, and some items set on low. I'm not a filthy casual but having items on is really good for the mind, it's a constant reminder that this isn't a serious competition, which online tournaments should never be. Not with this netcode, at least.

Willing to discuss the specific items if we ever make it to that point.

Edit: oh and um, SW-5758-2421-1219

Added. Let me know how your name appears on Switch.

For stages, I think I'd rather avoid a stagelist. More trouble than its worth imo debating that specifically. I feel the easiest way to go is that people can use whatever stage they want if both parties agree. If they can't come to an agreement, it defaults to FD/BF/Small Battlefield, or forms thereof.

I'm game.

Friend code 1368-5461-1518 (Super King)

SanAndreasX said:
I'm game.

Friend code 1368-5461-1518 (Super King)

Cool. If you have feelings about rules, let them be known.

mZuzek said:
JWeinCom said:

Added. Let me know how your name appears on Switch.

For stages, I think I'd rather avoid a stagelist. More trouble than its worth imo debating that specifically. I feel the easiest way to go is that people can use whatever stage they want if both parties agree. If they can't come to an agreement, it defaults to FD/BF/Small Battlefield, or forms thereof.

It's mZuzek.

I get how having a stagelist could be a hassle if you're thinking of doing stage striking, counterpick banning and all that stuff. What I had in mind was a specific stagelist, and have the actual stages within it be chosen at random. Then the only logistical difficulty is making sure people have the right ruleset on, but that applies to any rule.

Fine, updated.

I don't really like that. I'd rather do losers pick so each person gets one stage pick at least. If we're doing that without counterpick stages/banning, that would only work with a pretty conservative stage set. But other people can opine.