By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did the Gamecube fail?

RolStoppable said:

Yes, I believe it because the sales data makes it very hard to come to a different conclusio. Top sellers on the SNES were dominated by 2D platformers (Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Donkey Kong Country), just like it was the case on the NES. That's a pretty clear indicator of what the audience likes the most. Neither Mario or Donkey Kong got sequels on the Nintendo 64, so when the main reason to own a console goes missing, it raises the chances dramatically that someone decides to skip a console altogether.

As much I do believe those were by far the most popular games and genres during NES/SNES era, still hard to believe the lack of those games were the reason for N64/GC downfall. PS1 top sellers were not 2D platforms, so while there was a huge demand for that genre the size of console market showed market was ready to accept alternative games, games Nintendo 64 didn't get because Nintendo falsely believe their 1st party was all that matters

The point that I need to point out it NES/SNES players didn't skipped 64 and Game Cube and dropped gaming waiting for the day when they would play 2D Mario and Donkey Kong again. They skipped Nintendo and bought another console instead (Sony, mostly)

Now I need to empathize while 3rd party is really important (and the reason for N64 and GC failure, as Sony just made a much better job with 3rd parties so no point buying a Nitendo), but I also don't think 3rd party support is the reason behind a console success

Nintendo success from DS-sucess onward comes from hardware-software integrate experience alternative to the old and formulaic experience Sony and Microsoft was oferring, hence 8 out of 10 of best of Wii best sellers were all games know for the use of motion controls. Wii U hardware-software experience wasn't as good, with abysmal 3rd party supprt and first party wasn't the best either, so sales dropped like rocks. It was pretty much a worse a Game Cube, as Game Cude at least got some 3rd party support

Microsoft tried the same hardware-software experience strategy with kinect and shipped over 35 million copies of it in short time, but without quality games using the technology it just become useless pretty fast. Why does it matter? Well, because even if Xbox was born to bring PC games to home consoles they were still able to put their fingers in other market segment. As long the company is efficient and release quality products (and of course, know how to market it) people will pay for it

In this sense, it's not like customers expect a specific kind of games from Nintendo, it's just Nintendo constantly failed (and now they aren't even trying anymore) to build a good enough 3rd party support and to release more PC/cinematic games like Sony or Microsoft (or even PCs), so customers who wants this kind of games goes from those platforms. Meanwhile Nintendo is much stronger doing everything else. Among top 10 of Switch you will find a life simulator, a racing game, a multiplayer shooter, a party game, an RPG, an open world adventure game, a 2D platform, a 3D platforming, a fighting game. It's just too diverse comparing to PS4 (9 action adventures) or even XBONE (6 shooters)

So in all, it's not like "3rd party don't matter for Nintendo" as you make sound the real truth is 3rd party matters to anyone, but as Nintendo lose this market for Sony and MS they found another way to become a bigger market player.

Around the Network

Haven't read the thread yet, but it comes down to timing and software. Nintendo was 18 months behind the PS2 in Japan, 13 months behind in North America, and 18 months behind in Europe. Unless you are doing something very different, or the first out of the gate stumbles badly, that is just way too far behind. If they could have released within a couple of months, I think they sell a lot more units and get much better software support from 3rd parties. In terms of software, there was no big launch title. I like Luigi's Mansion, but that is just not a killer app. Melee was great, and came out pretty quick. Sunshine was a pretty non-traditional follow up to 64 with FLUDD. Wind Waker was a pretty non-traditional follow up with the ocean. Plus that game missed the 2nd Christmas in North America and Europe. Mario Kart came out 2 years after launch. Nintendo needs to come with the heavy hitters early and often.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

SammyGiireal said:

You make some good points, but the Resident Evil 4 port looked crappy on the PS2, it is not as sharp as the GC version, and even water bodies look flat on Sony's machine.

The GC was much more capable than the PS2 as a gaming machine, it just didn't have any support. There is no way that the PS2 could run Metroid Prime in the way that the GC did. 

Rogue Squadron 2 was also a magnificent show case of the system's capabilities. Specs don't lie, the GC was the better hardware, even if didnt have the same amount of great games.

As far as graphics go, it's true, Gamecube was superior to the PS2, and you couldn't do games like Roque Squadron II on the PS2 without significant downgrades.

But PS3/360 were far superior graphically to the Wii, yet they were beaten in sales by it. Likewise, systems like the Gameboy, DS, and 3DS all outsold more powerful competitors.

To the average consumer, games matter more than graphics, and in the 6th gen PS2 simply had more games that the average consumer wanted to play than Gamecube did.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I live in the US...

I see this point and it actually makes sense (I'm myself a kid who learned about Mario and Zelda from 3D games) and I can understand the absence of SNES players on N64 userbase

But still 3rd party in all is important and gamers didn't "jump" 2 generations from SNES to Wii, they bought PS1 and then PS2 exactly because of their extensive 3rd party library

GC is my number 1. It didn't fail!

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I live in the US...

I see this point and it actually makes sense (I'm myself a kid who learned about Mario and Zelda from 3D games) and I can understand the absence of SNES players on N64 userbase

But still 3rd party in all is important and gamers didn't "jump" 2 generations from SNES to Wii, they bought PS1 and then PS2 exactly because of their extensive 3rd party library

I think you and Rol are both partly right.  Third party games were definitely important on the SNES, but not quite as important on the NES.  This is because Nintendo's resources on the SNES were split between it and the Gameboy.  The NES had a lot more first party games than the SNES did.  Nintendo first party games were still the most important ones on the SNES, but third party games picked up a lot of the slack.  When those third party games later went to the PS1 that was a heavy blow to Nintendo.  They also significantly changed the gameplay on their biggest franchises Mario and Zelda, and they didn't have anything like a DKC or 2D Metroid game either.  That made a nasty 1-2 punch.  Nintendo first party changed and third party games left.

Switch is more like the NES though in that all of Nintendo's resources are back on one system.  Third party companies are choosing to support it simply because it is too successful to be ignored.  For the first 3 years most third party games have been either indies or ports.  Now Switch has big exclusive third party games like Monster Hunter Rise coming.  Nintendo first party did the heavy lifting for the first several years, but now more third party games are coming on board too simply because of Switch's success.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think you and Rol are both partly right.  Third party games were definitely important on the SNES, but not quite as important on the NES.  This is because Nintendo's resources on the SNES were split between it and the Gameboy.  The NES had a lot more first party games than the SNES did.  Nintendo first party games were still the most important ones on the SNES, but third party games picked up a lot of the slack. 

It's also due to the market being more limited with fewer studios and development being more restricted (remember in America NES was released after console gaming crash), fewer quality titles came out from 3rd party during NES/Master System era

Nobody knew what the fuck a "third party game" was in the NES era, lol. That wasn't a thing. All games were just "Nintendo games" and even all video games were just called "Nintendo" even if you were playing a Tiger handheld or something.

But if you're saying the NES wasn't heavily fuelled by 3rd party content, you're crazy, Ninja Turtles, Megaman 2, Contra, Castlevania, Tecmo Bowl, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, all being exclusive was a huge, huge reason the NES routed the Sega Master System. It was like the VHS versus Beta debate ... VHS had way more selection, the NES was VHS, Sega was Beta. The modern idea of "Nintendo games" really doesn't come into view until the N64 really when Nintendo lost most of their developer support and the idea of a "Nintendo console" became mainly just Nintendo games.

Nintendo themselves didn't even release that many NES games, from 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991, they published 13 NES titles, that's 13 games over 48 months, that's actually very low, even the Wii U had a steadier release of Nintendo games than that. It didn't matter because the NES had not only all the 3rd party support, but all of it basically exclusive.

Back to the GameCube, another HUGE blow to the system Nintendo losing the GoldenEye/FPS console of choice banner they held in the N64/PSOne era. The N64 was massively popular on college campuses and dorms and a lot of that stemmed from GoldenEye being really the forefather of Call of Duty. I knew many PSOne owners that still felt they had to have an N64 too and a lot of people would say "I like Playstation better, but I gotta have GoldenEye".

Losing 007 + Rare + MS getting Halo and stealing that FPS console crown hurt the GameCube badly. GoldenEye I think really sold as many N64s as Mario 64 did in North America and Europe. It would be in the top 10 TRST (the NPD back in the day) best selling games month after month after month after month.

In hindsight not locking up the 007/Bond license when it was dirt cheap and telling Rare they're working on a Bond sequel was a mistake. You don't let designers just do whatever the fuck they feel like, this isn't after school computer club, this is a business. I knew many, many people that owned both the N64 + Playstation, but PS2 + GameCube ownership was really, really rare. No GoldenEye tier title really had a lot to do with that. Smash Melee was alright but it was more something for "Nintendo hardcore" types, GoldenEye had far broader appeal.

RolStoppable said:

The main reasons are a combination of weak first party output and the console being built on the false premise that third party multiplatform games are important. After the Nintendo 64 had failed, Nintendo's main takeaway from it was that it is about third party software, so the GC was designed accordingly. It wasn't until a generation later that Nintendo recognized that it is about Nintendo themselves and what they stand for, so the Wii was designed accordingly. Then they learned nothing from the Wii and made it about third party multiplatform games again with the Wii U, a console that failed even harder than the GC. Then we got Switch which has the distinct Nintendo identity again. There's a clear pattern of success and failure, including the NES and SNES which weren't about third party multiplatform games either.

Nowadays there's the widespread belief that Sony and Microsoft make traditional (or conventional) consoles while Nintendo is the odd one out. This belief has it backwards, because it's Nintendo who makes the traditional console. Sony and Microsoft consoles are about playing PC games on a device that is easier to use than a PC. When you think of the classic video game consoles made by Atari, Nintendo and Sega, are PC games the first thing that comes to your mind? Of course not, because the traditional console isn't about playing PC games. The essence of the traditional console is bringing the arcade experience into people's homes, and the arcade experience differed from the PC experience in that all the games were standing next to each other and had to be instantly good, otherwise potential customers would just walk over to the next arcade cabinet. This is what led to the "easy to learn, hard to master" mantra.

Consoles did evolve over the first few generations, from housing mostly ports of arcade games to eventually being more about games specifically developed for consoles. But said games followed the arcade mantra of "easy to learn, hard to master" which is why they maintained their addictive essence. Whenever you come across a game that shoves a lot of tutorials down your throat, it's easy to realize that said game isn't what it should be about. When you think about it like that, you can put two and two together why third party multiplats are at odds with what the market expects from a Nintendo console and why those multiplats barely move the needle on hardware sales for Nintendo.

The Nintendo 64 focused on 3D games, and early 3D games feel clunky and stiff in comparison to the brilliant fluidity of the gameplay in the 16-bit era. Super Mario 64 may have been the foundation for a lot of 3D gaming, but it pales in comparison to how good SNES games were. Nintendo's direction with first party software did more damage to the Nintendo 64 than the loss of third party IPs to Sony's PS1. Nintendo fans skipped the Nintendo 64 because Nintendo wasn't making the right games anymore. Then with the GC Nintendo didn't even cater to the expectations of the fans of the 3D games anymore (most notably, Super Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker were controversial), so many of those fans skipped the GC. Nintendo went from bad to worse.

The GC had around 600 games, up from the around 400 of the Nintendo 64, but third party software mattered little for sales because most of those games could be bought elsewhere on top of coming first and foremost from American and European publishers whose roots are largely in PC gaming.

The N64 had some of the greatest 3-D experiences ever made, they were even more mind blowing at the time of their release. This is the reason why it sold as well as it did despite its total lack of 3rd party support, and the absence of some of the most popular genres of the time such as JRPGs, and Fighting games.

Nintendo dug the N64's grave when they decided to go cartridge instead of CD, and drove away its third party support. The system however had some of the most revolutionary games ever made, and to deny this, is to deny facts.

Last edited by SammyGiireal - on 10 October 2020

I think it mainly failed because they tried to compete directly but still made it too difficult on 3rd parties. Had they supported the dual analog standard and met the standard for storage space on the disk I believe they would had faired much better.