By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 big the biggest leap gaming has yet to see?

RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You have a weird definition of 2D.  If I control a dot, that is 1D.  If I can only move left or right, then that is 1D.  You know what 1D is right?

I bet you don't consider SNES games with parallax scrolling to be 3D, even though the background looks 3D.  In order to be 3D, the whole game has to be 3D.  It's the same on the Atari 2600.  The games aren't really 2D.  They are 1D.

Also, I am curious if you agree with me that the biggest transition in gaming was from Generation 2 to 3.  Are disagreeing with this point, or are you just trying to distract from my main point?

This even tops the nutjob argument that Metroid: Other M is 2D gameplay because Samus is controlled with the d-pad.

Was this an argument you were making?

Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You have a weird definition of 2D.  If I control a dot, that is 1D.  If I can only move left or right, then that is 1D.  You know what 1D is right?

You have a weird definition of 1D.  And you can't only move left or right, you also can move up and down. Every sprite has an x and an y position. You know what 2D is, right?

Now I know you are trying to distract from my main point, since you keep dodging it.

I will take take this as a "yes" you agree the biggest leap was from Generation 2 to 3.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Conina said:

Please stop with your stupid definitions/exaggerations. No Atari game was a one-dimensional game. Every game with graphics is at least 2D.

I bet you don't consider SNES games with parallax scrolling to be 3D, even though the background looks 3D.  In order to be 3D, the whole game has to be 3D.  It's the same on the Atari 2600.  The games aren't really 2D.  They are 1D.

Also, I am curious if you agree with me that the biggest transition in gaming was from Generation 2 to 3.  Are disagreeing with this point, or are you just trying to distract from my main point?

Correct.  Atari, and everything that came out after that is all 2d.  That is an image represented using an X and a Y axis.  The only way to add in the Z axis is through holographic imaging or simulate it with Virtual Reality.  But virtual reality is still using two 2d images slightly skewed from each other to simulate 3d.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Conina said:

You have a weird definition of 1D.  And you can't only move left or right, you also can move up and down. Every sprite has an x and an y position. You know what 2D is, right?

Now I know you are trying to distract from my main point, since you keep dodging it.

I will take take this as a "yes" you agree the biggest leap was from Generation 2 to 3.

Now I know you are trying to distract from your error calling second gen consoles "1d gaming" and that you are unwilling to admit that.

With companies focusing as much on monetization as on gameplay improvements, no.

NBA 2K21. PS5 vs PS4 on a crossgen title. Difference is pretty significant here :P

Around the Network
hinch said:

NBA 2K21. PS5 vs PS4 on a crossgen title. Difference is pretty significant here :P

Better yes but hardly massive. It's not like going from NBA Live on PS1 to NBA2k on DC.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Not by a long shot, in fact I'd say that, based on the actual games we've seen thus far, it has yet to prove it's not the smallest.

@Leynos

Never said it was. But you can see so much more going on now. With a considerably better CPU a lot is improved especially the AI. And thats one of the criticisms of current gen consoles, the rubbish CPU. This is cross generation title with a console not even launched and you can immediately see difference in AI and animation/s. Also lighting too.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 October 2020

DroidKnight said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Correct.  Atari, and everything that came out after that is all 2d.  That is an image represented using an X and a Y axis.  The only way to add in the Z axis is through holographic imaging or simulate it with Virtual Reality.  But virtual reality is still using two 2d images slightly skewed from each other to simulate 3d.

My eyes are using two 2D images slightly skewed from eachother... So, is all human sight 2D?

I think the leap from Xbox/Gamecube to Ps360 and ps360 to X1/PS4 to be smaller. Especially the latter.

The consoles this generation are more balanced machines overall.