By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 big the biggest leap gaming has yet to see?

If people are comparing pure graphics then probably not. But the improbements aside from graphics are pretty big. I for one welcome it above just more pixels.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

Ratchet and Clank Remastered?

Your trolling is getting rusty.

Trolling? Or maybe your flaming needs more work.

Tell me what jump do you think is bigger in the pictures below

Ratchet and Clank on PS4 isn’t a Remaster, dumbass.

User was banned for this comment - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 07 October 2020

Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

1) The biggest leap is easily Gen 2 to 3.  Graphically it's a transition from 1D to 2D gaming.  On the Atari 2600, I'm controlling dots and stick figures, while on the NES I'm actually controlling discernable 2D characters, each with a unique look. 

Atari games like Pitfall 1 + 2, River Raid, Solaris, Pole Position, Battlezone, Atlantis, Kung Fu Master and H.E.R.O. don't look much worse than many NES games.

And they are not in 1D.

Hey Pole Position looks 3D.  According to you the 3D generation actually started on the Atari 2600.   You have to take the generation as a whole.  Star Fox was a polygonal game during Generation 4, but most people accept that Generation 5 is the first 3D generation, because they are looking at the libraries as a whole.

Pitfall is basically a stick figure, and that is a game with "good graphics".  It is the most popular platformer on the Atari 2600.  Let's compare it to Super Mario Bros, the most popular platformer on the NES.

Mario is actually a character with a face.  I can identify him as the same character that is in Mario games today.  What would Pitfall look like today?  He could look like anything, because the character doesn't have a face, and his body looks like a stick figure.

Now let's compare the most popular action-adventure games:  Adventure vs. Legend of Zelda.

In Adventure, you are just controlling a dot.  That is 1D.  This game sold over 1 million copies.  I am picking popular games here.  This is a transition from 1D gaming to 2D gaming.

On top of this, I am saying that the gigantic leap in graphics is only one factor why the transition from Generation 2 to 3 is huge.  There are 4 huge factors that are important, and graphics may be the least important one.

1) Huge graphical leap.
2) NES games had music.  Very few Atari 2600 games did.
3) Most Atari games focused on Arcade-like, score based, gameplay.  Most NES games were designed with the goal of getting to the end of the game.
4) The new type of gameplay from NES games lead to the downfall of the arcade.  This transition eventually killed off an entire platform, the premium platform.

The transition from Generation 4 to 5 pales in comparison to all of this.

No. Nothing can ever be as big from 2D to 3D. And the jump from Saturn to DC was massive. No, the jumps are getting smaller, not larger last couple gens.

Btw we did not jump from 2600 to NES. We went from 5200 to NES.

Last edited by Leynos - on 06 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

In Adventure, you are just controlling a dot.  That is 1D.  This game sold over 1 million copies.  I am picking popular games here.  This is a transition from 1D gaming to 2D gaming.

Please stop with your stupid definitions/exaggerations. No Atari game (or even older games) were one-dimensional games. Every game with graphics is at least 2D, even Pong or SpaceWar!

Around the Network
Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Please stop with your stupid definitions/exaggerations. No Atari game was a one-dimensional game. Every game with graphics is at least 2D.

You have a weird definition of 2D.  If I control a dot, that is 1D.  If I can only move left or right, then that is 1D.  You know what 1D is right?

I bet you don't consider SNES games with parallax scrolling to be 3D, even though the background looks 3D.  In order to be 3D, the whole game has to be 3D.  It's the same on the Atari 2600.  The games aren't really 2D.  They are 1D.

Also, I am curious if you agree with me that the biggest transition in gaming was from Generation 2 to 3.  Are disagreeing with this point, or are you just trying to distract from my main point?

I believe that's true. After watching nba 2k21 trailer for xbox next gen and the graphics upgrade is huge in comparison to current gen level. That's just the beginning for next gen and it was a multiplaform game. Imagine games built solely for next gen and are first party. It will be a much bigger jump

This leap to 3D started much earlier and at first it was a downgrade in graphical fidelity. It took a long time until 3D games looked as good as 2D and 2.5D whether top down (Baldur's gate alliance) or like Ori.

Big leaps in gaming happened with changes in the way to control the games. The PS5 still the same controller since PS2. The last leap we had was the transition to analog sticks. Motion control didn't do much for pancake gaming, but did make VR possible. VR has the potential to be the biggest leap changing the way we play games, no longer as an observer looking at a screen, but actually being in the game. However that leap is still a bit too much for most people and just like the transition to 3D, at first its a step backwards in graphical fidelity.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Conina said:

Please stop with your stupid definitions/exaggerations. No Atari game was a one-dimensional game. Every game with graphics is at least 2D.

You have a weird definition of 2D.  If I control a dot, that is 1D.  If I can only move left or right, then that is 1D.  You know what 1D is right?

You have a weird definition of 1D.  And you can't only move left or right, you also can move up and down. Every sprite has an x and an y position. You know what 2D is, right?

Leynos said:

No. Nothing can ever be as big from 2D to 3D. And the jump from Saturn to DC was massive. No, the jumps are getting smaller, not larger last couple gens.

Btw we did not jump from 2600 to NES. We went from 5200 to NES.

Shhh...you are giving away my secret.    Yes, technically going from Atari 2600 to NES is actually 2 generations.  But people like to count it as one generation.  That's why I know, objectively by any measure, it is the biggest leap.