By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch owners; technical help!

you didn't use the nintendo charger when leaving it overnight?
if the cable was of the wrong kind (doesn't contain a certain resistor) it could have allowed for more current than it should have. you can apparently fry the TV out chip (thats what happened with all those 3rd party TV out docks after an update that prob. allowed more power-draw)

So if TV out doesn't work but charging does you might have fried something. but ofc. try with another dock, they can prob as you said help you check in the shop where you got it. hope it works out!

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Around the Network
Bajablo said:

if the cable was of the wrong kind (doesn't contain a certain resistor) it could have allowed for more current than it should have. you can apparently fry the TV out chip (thats what happened with all those 3rd party TV out docks after an update that prob. allowed more power-draw)

So if TV out doesn't work but charging does you might have fried something. but ofc. try with another dock, they can prob as you said help you check in the shop where you got it. hope it works out!

I used the official cable for the overnight charge.

Why would they allow the hardware to utilize higher yields than it can take? Seems like a bad idea. From what I understand, the Switch unit itself and the dock use/prefer different v/a, which is even more confusing since only one cable and adapter is packed with the kit.

Mummelmann said:
It works! I used my shortest quick charger for my phone and left it in for 2-3 hours and it's both charging and starting up just fine. Thanks for the help anyway!

Yer I had to do the same with my switch. When it sits too long and the battery hasn't died it takes a while before it starts charging again.

That reminds me I better charge mine soon lol.

Cobretti2 said:
Mummelmann said:
It works! I used my shortest quick charger for my phone and left it in for 2-3 hours and it's both charging and starting up just fine. Thanks for the help anyway!

Yer I had to do the same with my switch. When it sits too long and the battery hasn't died it takes a while before it starts charging again.

Run, run!

Mummelmann said:
Bajablo said:

Why would they allow the hardware to utilize higher yields than it can take? Seems like a bad idea. From what I understand, the Switch unit itself and the dock use/prefer different v/a, which is even more confusing since only one cable and adapter is packed with the kit.

And the fact they use a universal cable and connector.
Poor engineering.

Cobretti2 said:
Mummelmann said:

Lithium cells like to sit at around the 50% charge when in storage as the battery isn't under as much stress as a depleted or fully charged state.
It is also why when you buy a new phone they are usually around the 50% charged state.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Not sure if anybody experienced this, but when plugging the original Nintendo adapter into the dock, it oddly only works if its plugged in one way. The seam line of the USB C has to be facing inwards. Is that common?

Could be a problem with the charging chip or connector.
Might also be slow charging? Try leave it plugged for sometime.
Best to call and get it repaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xix7qzbOT6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvpUmai7qlA

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Mummelmann said:
Bajablo said:

if you used the official charger you shouldn't have fried anything, if you use cheaper 3'rd party USB-C cables you can get f'ed. (cause they lack the 'optional' resistor that prevents the issue that can happen in the switch)

/J

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

I went to the store (it's only a 10-minute walk from here) and spoke with them. My warranty had just run out (in June), but they helped me anyway and tested another dock. It worked as it should and they gave me a new dock for free! Customer service for real!

I'll keep my Switch charged from time to time now, I learned my lesson the hard way or the Nintendo way perhaps...

In the end it was just the connector. It's awesome that they gave you the dock!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"