By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Making 6 Day Work Weeks Mandatory Leading Up To Launch

First, let's note that nobody is being forced to work 6 days a week. These people have taken this job, and they stay in this job of their own free will. Everybody knows that there's crunch in the last few months before big AAA games launch. I know it sucks for people in the middle of that much of the time, but it's a reality of working in the industry. I don't feel sorry for the employees, generally speaking. If you want to avoid having to work 60-hour weeks for a few months every couple of years, get in a different business.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
vivster said:

Many other video game studios don’t pay for overtime.

Is it even legal? 

Yep. In the USA it's perfectly legal. It's called a salary.

VAMatt said:
First, let's note that nobody is being forced to work 6 days a week. These people have taken this job, and they stay in this job of their own free will. Everybody knows that there's crunch in the last few months before big AAA games launch. I know it sucks for people in the middle of that much of the time, but it's a reality of working in the industry. I don't feel sorry for the employees, generally speaking. If you want to avoid having to work 60-hour weeks for a few months every couple of years, get in a different business.

Yes, because jobs grow on trees in the age of COVID. And if you stop paying your student loans, it's not as if they will come and take your parents' (who signed onto your loan) house.

Cerebralbore101 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is it even legal? 

VAMatt said:

Yes, because jobs grow on trees in the age of COVID. And if you stop paying your student loans, it's not as if they will come and take your parents' (who signed onto your loan) house.

CDProjekt is from Poland though...

More proof that delays don't avoid crunch.

Vodacixi said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yes I know. Just attacking the idea of crunch in general.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Vodacixi said:

Yes I know. Just attacking the idea of crunch in general.

Oh, oki doki then xD

I think I'm just going to skip this game, too much baggage. I'm fed up with CDPR and their PR. Definitely not buying it anytime near launch. And beware, it will be full of bugs at launch. They've already been crunching all year, to now put even more pressure on.

I've got to say, this has to be one of the dumbest PR moves in the history of dumb PR moves. They're sending out an email saying that you must work 6 days per week, even though we know that we told you you won't have to work 6 days per week. Of course that email is going to get leaked and of course the gaming news media is going to be all over it. A smart company would just have managers verbally telling employees that they better be at work on Saturday.

Now that I think of it, maybe they're trying to create cover for another delay.....

Yay, more news of slave work...

It sucks if it's mandatory and not only an option to work more but I'm not surprised. Working extra hours is pretty common in every industry in which the money is made at a specific time. If it's those who have like 10x as much work the weeks (or months) before Christmas, if it's those who work in the holiday industry or whatever you can imagine.

I would say people should really not work for an AAA dev if they are against that but CDPR shot themselves in their foot with how they talked about this before and what happened now. I mean, this could after all be one of the reasons why some started to work for them instead of another dev.