By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Paula Jean Swearengin fights for turning a senate seat blue

I wanted to point a light towards the campaign of Paula Jean Swearengin, who is democratic candidate for senate in West Virginia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkdixtwm4Y

It is pretty hard to see how this race is shaping up, as there is literally no polling of this race. 538 has as latest senate polling for the state the 2018 race between Manchin and Morrisey: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/west-virginia/

So no idea how this race will might go.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Sadly, all pollsters put the state's senate seat as "safe Republican", so I fear her chances are very slim. That's probably also the reason why there are no polls there.

Thus, if she would win, it would be an ever bigger upset than what AOC managed to do. And a killing blow to a Republican senate majority anytime soon in the process.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 30 September 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Sadly, all pollsters put the state's senate seat as "safe Republican", so I fear her chances are very slim. That's probably also the reason why there are no polls there.

Thus, if she would win, it would be an ever bigger upset than what AOC managed to do. And a killing blow to a Republican senate majority anytime soon in the process.

Yeah, it is considered a republican seat, but based on what? No polling was done, with Joe Manchin the state has also a democratic senator, Capitos senate seat was democratic before. There is no indication, why this race should be considered save for Capito. With at least some polls we would have an indication, but it isn't there.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yeah, it is considered a republican seat, but based on what? No polling was done, with Joe Manchin the state has also a democratic senator, Capitos senate seat was democratic before. There is no indication, why this race should be considered save for Capito. With at least some polls we would have an indication, but it isn't there.

Probably based on the fact that in 2014, the democratic nominee didn't win even a single county, with Shelley winning the election with over 62% of the votes and getting over 50% in each and every county.

So yeah, that's a very uphill battle for her to win out here. But considering what she stands for, I can only wish her all the best.

If there are no polls, that generally means that they don't think it's worth polling. That's why we see very few presidential polls in NY or California. So... she probably doesn't have a chance.

Around the Network

I knew I saw her before. She was one of the 4 in Knocking Down The House, where she tried to become Senator in 2018, but sadly only got 30% of the votes in her primary. I hope she will do better this time around.

Hoping for the best for Swearengin, but not hopeful considering the some of the Republican candidates that have been getting in like Marjorie Taylor-Greene, Laura Loomer, and Lauren Boebert.

I'm focused on my own Senate race. I'm hoping Mark Kelly will send Martha McParticipation Trophy home for good. Kyrsten Sinema pulled out a decent enough win against her the last time, I suppose.

I really want Paula Jean Swearengin to win, and hopefully turnout for WV could be huge.

https://sos.wv.gov/elections/Pages/HistVoteTurnout.aspx

Look at these turnout history for West Virginia. The lowest turnout was in 2014 when 20 percent voted in the primary and 37.8 percent voted in the general election.

I read from an article from a while ago that registered Democrats and Republicans arent that far apart with the rest of voters being Independent. This was enforced later when I got an email from her campaign talking about the percentage of people registered as Democrats or Republicans. If Democrats turnout is big and get some Independents to vote for Paula there might be a chance she can win the senate.

Proud to be a Californian.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

Probably based on the fact that in 2014, the democratic nominee didn't win even a single county, with Shelley winning the election with over 62% of the votes and getting over 50% in each and every county.

So yeah, that's a very uphill battle for her to win out here. But considering what she stands for, I can only wish her all the best.

Maybe my post above can show you why she might have a shot of winning the Senate race.

Mnementh said:

I wanted to point a light towards the campaign of Paula Jean Swearengin, who is democratic candidate for senate in West Virginia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkdixtwm4Y

It is pretty hard to see how this race is shaping up, as there is literally no polling of this race. 538 has as latest senate polling for the state the 2018 race between Manchin and Morrisey: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/west-virginia/

So no idea how this race will might go.

If there is a big voter turnout she might have a chance to win the senate race.