Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mediocre to bad series that became good to great in following console generations?

Signalstar said:
Killzone to Killzone 2/3

Definitely!

Killzone was rubbish. Like, so bad that I can't believe they actually made a sequel to it. But Killzone 2 and 3 were fantastic games.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network

Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy; from a game was practically the definition of "meh" to one of the greatest video games ever created.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

100% agree on Nier. Automata is just so perfect. 

100% disagree on Killer Instinct. 

Might be a weird pick but i'd say God of War. I do consider I & II to be mediocre. III was really good and God of War for Ps4 was fantastic. 

To a lesser extent, Castlevania. After the fantastic SOTN every single Castlevania was either bad or okayish and we got a bunch of SOTN imitations for portable console. I cant Stand Soma Cruz games myself. But then came Lord of Shadows and it was just fantastic, loved it, it was enganging and fun, even if it wasnt particularly original. Sadly that all went to shit with the sequel. 

GTA, once it went 3D it became something everyone would play.

Street fighter 2 was better than street fighter 1. I’m assuming the first one sucked as I’ve been a fan of 2 for 30 years and never seen the arcade of 1.

curl-6 said:
Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy; from a game was practically the definition of "meh" to one of the greatest video games ever created.

To each their own. I stand in the minority in this one, I actually had exponentially more fun in Sunshine because I value open world sandboxes the highest. 

Around the Network

The first Metal Gear on the NES was a decent to good game, but they got much better as the went.  Still haven't played a "Trails" game, but the Legend of Heroes series is decades old and the early games weren't that great.  Wonder Boy actually started off as Adventure Island, but I like Wonder Boy in Monster World better.  And while I know plenty of people who loved Tetris back on the NES, I couldn't get into it until it became Puyo Puyo Tetris.  Now it's my favorite multiplayer game on the Switch.

I thought of one!

Dynasty Warriors. The 1st game was a mediocre fighter on PS1. Then on PS2 it changed completely with DW2 and then really hit it's stride with DW3. Effectively created a whole new genre even.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

snyps said:
GTA, once it went 3D it became something everyone would play.

Street fighter 2 was better than street fighter 1. I’m assuming the first one sucked as I’ve been a fan of 2 for 30 years and never seen the arcade of 1.

Never played the arcade version, but a port is included in Anniversary collection. The game is basically unplayable. The way moves buffer makes it really impossible to react to anything. 

snyps said:
curl-6 said:

To each their own. I stand in the minority in this one, I actually had exponentially more fun in Sunshine because I value open world sandboxes the highest. 

Having just finished getting all of the sprites in Sunshine... the game has a lot of flaws and bad design choices. There's a few places where the game is kind of broken, and blue coins are a terrible chore. There are about half as many levels with twice as much stuff crammed into them, so it lacks variety and feels padded. Also the final level/boss are the worst in any Mario game. The difficulty of some shines, combined with the fact that you can't skip many shines that give you a hard time like you could in Mario 64 also throw the difficulty curve out of whack. Overall, it's not that much harder than 64, but weaker players could simply avoid the harder levels if they weren't up for it, whereas in Sunshine if you can't beat those floating platformer sections, you're not beating the game.

That's not to say it's bad as it has some nice things going for it. The core gameplay is fun, FLUDD is fun, and the way the levels progress as you get shines is uniquely satisfying. Has better boss battles, and rewards exploration. But, the lack of variety and poor design choices hold it back.

I get liking sandbox more than linear designs, but it's a good sandbox game vs an amazing linear platformer.

Grand Theft Auto 3 made a somewhat popular franchise to one of the biggest. Red Dead Revolver was a mediocre game then Red Dead Redemption was a fantastic game. RDR2 is my game of the generation.

I'm not sure if Super Mario odyssey counts, but it was a return to form for 3D Mario and the closest to get to the masterpiece that is Mario 64.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Somebody else already said it, but Red Dead. Revolver was meh, but Redemption was amazing.

I'd also say that Witcher was quite rough in the beginning, but got subsequently better with each sequel, which is reflected in the reviews.