By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mediocre to bad series that became good to great in following console generations?

I would say Final Fantasy, but that IP has gone full circle in a lot of ways.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
drbunnig said:
I'd have to disagree with GTA and Resident Evil. I can certainly see the argument that they improved in the following generations, but no way the first few games are mediocre - bad.

The first two GTA games were panned by critics and certainly weren't sales blockbusters. They were okay at best. 

I never played GTA 1, but I did play the second.  I really liked the system where you could work for 3 different gangs, and it was sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing where working for one would increase your reputation with one gang and lower it with another.  I actually liked it better than anything I played in GTA 3.  The masses were always going to like a 3rd person from behind view over a top down view game though.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Ka-pi96 said:
Shiken said:

Which era of FF do you think was mediocre/bad and which one became good?

I find 4,6,7,8,9, and to an extent...10 far superior to 1,2,3 and 5.

I say it went full circle though because of 13 trilogy, and while I enjoyed 15 and FFVIIR, they are not on the level of the golden era IMO.  Never played 12, can't speak for it.

I loved 14 though, great MMO and it had that classic Final Fantasy feel to it.  The only reason I stopped playing is because MMOs are bad for me IRL, so I swore off them.

Farsala said:

Maybe I will go with Warcraft. Warcraft was meh, and then Warcraft II was better, and then Warcraft III a fantastic game, and lastly World of Warcraft. A game too good for its own good.

Very much agree there.  I came to the first Warcraft late, so it is probably not fair, but that game is so rough compared to other RTS games that came out just a year or two later.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Zelda.
The first two on the NES were crude and frustrating, but from Link to the Past onwards it became one of the premiere franchises in all of gaming.

Around the Network

God of War. Never understood the appeal in Square-Square-Triangling my way through a billion enemies, then doing toddler-level puzzles and baby's first platformer all as a character that was not tragic but just a pathetic fool who might as well have been an incel for all the responsibility he took for his own actions. The first God of War games on PS2/3/P were all faux-edgy trash...

...but the 2018 God of War was a near-perfect masterpiece of art, direction, combat, growth, maturity, and production values. It looked great, felt great, played wonderfully, and had a remarkably well-written story with equally well-written characters. Honestly one of the best games of all time to come out of the most overrated series of all time next only to Halo.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Ka-pi96 said:
Shiken said:

Which era of FF do you think was mediocre/bad and which one became good?

I think it goes in cycles. FF was simple but pretty decent. II and III were wholly forgettable and dare I say pretty bad. but then IV, V, and VI were all outstanding (VI is my personal all-time favourite game, with IV and V being underrated gems). VII was a masterpiece, VIII was controversial but I still loved it, IX is another masterpiece. So the first NES gen was...okay....but SNES and PS1 gens were some of the best games of all time. I personally think the PS2 gen is similar in quality, but I have a REAL hard time counting FFXI since it's online and X-2 - while fun - was a joke. FFX was another masterpiece that was missing something special and XII was a great GAME with great characters that lacked in plot and narrative (Something we see again a few entries later) 

XIII is the worst game of all time. 

XIV is another one that's online and therefore doesn't count (And didn't get good until A Realm Reborn came out)

XV is fun with some good elements but absolutely fails in terms of plot and narrative structure (while mastering interpersonal character work)

So yeah, all over the place, but everything from IV-X was an absolute masterpiece, with I and XII also being up for contention as great entries. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Ka-pi96 said:
Shiken said:

I find 4,6,7,8,9, and to an extent...10 far superior to 1,2,3 and 5.

I say it went full circle though because of 13 trilogy, and while I enjoyed 15 and FFVIIR, they are not on the level of the golden era IMO.  Never played 12, can't speak for it.

I loved 14 though, great MMO and it had that classic Final Fantasy feel to it.  The only reason I stopped playing is because MMOs are bad for me IRL, so I swore off them.

Yeah, I'd agree with most of that. Not sure if 1-3 can really be considered that bad though, the franchise wouldn't exist if they weren't at least somewhat good. Although I've not played them myself, I'd assume it's more a case of they've aged poorly.

5 doesn't fit too well either since it's wedged between 4 and 6. It was a one off sub-par game, rather than the franchise as a whole getting worse.

The thread title asked for IPs that started as mediocre.  I never said 1,2, and 3 were bad.  I am implying they are mediocre at best.

As for 5, it is wedged in start of the golden years for Final Fantasy so it still kimd of fits the topic in a way.  The main reason I only mentioned it however is because I simply did not want to leave it out.  If I was to make a statement that 4-10 would be the golden years of FF, I feel it necessary to point out that 5 would be the black sheep of that bunch as, IMO, it did not stack up to the rest.  It is in there for clarity more than anything else, but the point remains the same.

curl-6 said:
Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy; from a game was practically the definition of "meh" to one of the greatest video games ever created.

That’s not what the thread is asking for.

The Super Mario series didn’t go from mediocre to good.

It got, arguably, dips from exceptional quality to something somewhat lesser, from one’s perspective to another. 

But it’s never ever been a mediocre series.

sales2099 said:

Killer Instinct. The older games have not aged well at all compared to the reboot. Even when it was new they were niche. The first games were more known for the unique he characters then fighting mechanic depth. 

The first games still play exceptionally well. But if you’re a fighting game veteran, sure, its gameplay can be somewhat simplistic compared to what the genre offers now.

Being one of the fighting games I’ve played the most among all the ones I played in my gaming life, I have to disagree that they were ever mediocre. When the game came out in the arcades in the 90s (94 if my memory serves me right), it was the only franchise that managed to compete against the Mortal Kombat series. At least in America.

To this day. the first Killer Instinct is still the best fighting game I have played when rated from the day and era in which it came out.

Last edited by Hynad - on 30 September 2020