By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mediocre to bad series that became good to great in following console generations?

drbunnig said:
I'd have to disagree with GTA and Resident Evil. I can certainly see the argument that they improved in the following generations, but no way the first few games are mediocre - bad.

I remember Resident Evil 1-2 being a huge deal back in the day, so yeah, I'd agree with you. 

Around the Network
Replicant said:
curl-6 said:
Resident Evil. Yeah I'll say it; it was pretty rubbish on PS1, the fixed camera angles and clunky controls made the 5th gen entries a chore to play.

In the 6th gen however it blossomed, culminating in RE4, the best video game of all time.

Did you play RE1-3 when they released or many years later?

Today, I agree with you. So much happened in gameplay and controls going from PS1 to PS2. It was sex playing RE1 in 1996 though.

I played them later, in the 6th gen. Still, I've never liked those kind of fixed camera angles in any game, I just find them so awkward. 

RE in the 5th gen to me always felt like a great idea where the execution, and to an extent the technology, just wasn't there yet.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 September 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

uncharted 1 was by no mean garbage but it was short and has no replayability multiplayer shiz,

then uncharted 2 came out and blew everybody's expectation

SanAndreasX said:
drbunnig said:
I'd have to disagree with GTA and Resident Evil. I can certainly see the argument that they improved in the following generations, but no way the first few games are mediocre - bad.

The first two GTA games were panned by critics and certainly weren't sales blockbusters. They were okay at best. 

Average score (according to wiki at least) for the first two games were both around high 60 - low 70%, which is hardly a critical panning, although I gather these scores were likely only based on a handful of reviews. Regardless, I wouldn't personally use sales or review scores to judge whether I thought a game was good or not, but we're probably approaching this from a different perspective.

Ka-pi96 said:
I thought of one!

Dynasty Warriors. The 1st game was a mediocre fighter on PS1. Then on PS2 it changed completely with DW2 and then really hit it's stride with DW3. Effectively created a whole new genre even.

I came here to say this.

Guess I have to pick something else.

Maybe I will go with Warcraft. Warcraft was meh, and then Warcraft II was better, and then Warcraft III a fantastic game, and lastly World of Warcraft. A game too good for its own good.

Around the Network

I don't think I've ever seen such a huge step up in quality than God Of War. Hated 1-A.

You can count Killzone I guess but I find the series very overated. The first one was terrible, second one OK. I liked the 3rd one the most.

I would say Final Fantasy, but that IP has gone full circle in a lot of ways.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

Which era of FF do you think was mediocre/bad and which one became good?

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

SanAndreasX said:
drbunnig said:

The first two GTA games were panned by critics and certainly weren't sales blockbusters. They were okay at best. 

I never played GTA 1, but I did play the second.  I really liked the system where you could work for 3 different gangs, and it was sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing where working for one would increase your reputation with one gang and lower it with another.  I actually liked it better than anything I played in GTA 3.  The masses were always going to like a 3rd person from behind view over a top down view game though.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Ka-pi96 said:
Shiken said:

Which era of FF do you think was mediocre/bad and which one became good?

I find 4,6,7,8,9, and to an extent...10 far superior to 1,2,3 and 5.

I say it went full circle though because of 13 trilogy, and while I enjoyed 15 and FFVIIR, they are not on the level of the golden era IMO.  Never played 12, can't speak for it.

I loved 14 though, great MMO and it had that classic Final Fantasy feel to it.  The only reason I stopped playing is because MMOs are bad for me IRL, so I swore off them.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261