By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Obsidian Made a New Perfect Dark

No, Obisidian should be put on Fallout - Obsidian is, more or less, former Black Isle, guys who created Fallout and who, unlike Bethesda, understand what Fallout is about.

Arkane might be a good fit - though I do find best game they ever made was their debut with Arx Fatalis (that's just my personal taste gravitating toward RPGs), they proven time and time again they know their stuff.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
EspadaGrim said:

I'm 100% convinced that The Initiative is already making a Perfect Dark reboot though. As for everyone in the thread saying that Obsidian would be a good fit, i guess most of you guys forgot about Alpha Protocol so Obsidian would actually be a great choice to make a new Perfect Dark if they had the opportunity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol

You mean they said Obsidian would NOT be a good fit, right?

Yes

Azzanation said:
Cobretti2 said:
I rather see RARE franchise stay buried, Microsoft has squandered years and done nothing noteworthy with them as they got plenty over similar genre franchises already. They better of selling them to Nintendo (make some quick cash) who need those franchise on the system and at least we see something decent done with them.

Go play Killer Instinct than talk.

Like I said nothing noteworthy. I like my games to come out in full not diced up into parts. Have some confidence in the IP and in what you making don't use it as a trial to see what happens.

CaptainExplosion said:
Cobretti2 said:

Like I said nothing noteworthy. I like my games to come out in full not diced up into parts. Have some confidence in the IP and in what you making don't use it as a trial to see what happens.

Yeah, Microsoft has been that way with Rare IPs old and new. They didn't really market the new Battletoads, and I haven't seen any marketing for Sea of Thieves other than social media. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about how they'd treat a new Perfect Dark.

That is what worries me as they have Halo and Gears that are 100% more important to them than a Perfect Dark game. 

Now with the new purchase, what other similar franchises that have been established for years and built an audience will slot above Perfect Dark in terms of importance? They spent 7billion so they will want to ensure those franchises do not sit on a shelf. 

I'd like to see id software take a crack at it.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yeah, Microsoft has been that way with Rare IPs old and new. They didn't really market the new Battletoads, and I haven't seen any marketing for Sea of Thieves other than social media. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about how they'd treat a new Perfect Dark.

That is what worries me as they have Halo and Gears that are 100% more important to them than a Perfect Dark game. 

Now with the new purchase, what other similar franchises that have been established for years and built an audience will slot above Perfect Dark in terms of importance? They spent 7billion so they will want to ensure those franchises do not sit on a shelf. 

Halo and Gears are staple IP's for Microsoft and they haven't really stepped a bad foot in terms of sales and reception there really. They need those games to have some prestige as they are landmark games.

Perfect Dark though a big IP back in the early 2000's, is still unproven for Xbox. For the time they've owned the IP they released Perfect Dark Zero back at the launch of the 360 and that tanked, badly. Its easy to see why they are cautious about it and play it safe for the last gen. But now it seems like Microsoft has been given to green light to go all out and it looks like they want revive this franchise with its newly built strong looking team.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out like anyway. It should be good considering the talent hired so far at The Initiative.

Cobretti2 said:
Azzanation said:

Go play Killer Instinct than talk.

KI was a launch title game, its final product is one of the best fighting games this gen.

Same can be said for SOTs, though that was a deliberate decision, the game has turned out better than expected for majority. 

Battletoads is another game that turned out well, has developed a following and might of revived the dead IP.

Weather you enjoy those games or not, there are plenty of others that do. Like myself, i am a huge Rare fan, i own all of Rare's games and i still enjoy thier games today. If Perfect Dark was announced, you can bet ill be pre-ordering tomorrow.

I'd rather see the Doom / Wolf team tacke Perfect Dark. That would be great.

There were a rumors a while back of The Coalition (Gears devs) developing a new PD, with Rare like looking over it, and approving and disapproving certain things. Who knows though.