By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Good going Sony. You've awakened the bear. 

Around the Network

He’s right. Time tested IPs exclusive is always better then building from the ground up. Which they are with Initiative but a well known IP going to Xbox is what gets those console sales and Game Pass subs. If they want to make GP where a 1st party game (at least) comes out every 3 months then Bethesda won’t be enough. You need A-AAA games all year every year. Glad MS as a whole is taking gaming seriously.

And I can’t help but feel the poetic justice of all the teasers that said Xbox has no games....careful what you wish for when you egg on a trillion dollar corporation lol. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I'm gonna call it right here - MS buys EA within the next 24 months.

You tell ‘em, Mr. Nutella.

I love how a gen of "xbox has no games", from a semi half gen of "PS has no games" during 7th gen, has completely gone and backfired, and awakened a sleeping giant.

The bed has been made, time to sleep in it.

Last edited by Chazore - on 22 September 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

But buying well established studios and keeping them xclusive to ur console is "anticonsumer".... at least thats what I heard here in the past, from a vocal minority, whn Sony purchased Insomniac and there were rumors of buying some Konami's IPs... smh. Lol. Funny how the story changes fr some people. Lol.
Regardless, things got a lot more interesting.

*sigh* yay monopolies. But at the very least stay away from Japanese studios and publishers.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The big three gaming companies seem to have different strategies to expand their game development abilities. Microsoft seems to expand with acquisitions, Sony seems to expand mostly through enlarging existing studios. Nintendo often has other large publishers with established dev teams like Koei Tecmo (with the warrior series) and Bandai Namco with Arms, Pokken Tournament, Smash Brothers Ultimate, and the new Pokemon Snap make additional games.  

Not sure which way is the best but it does seem like all three companies have greatly expanded their ability to produce more games inn the last decade or so.

The power of cloud (services)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Colocho said:
But buying well established studios and keeping them xclusive to ur console is "anticonsumer".... at least thats what I heard here in the past, from a vocal minority, whn Sony purchased Insomniac and there were rumors of buying some Konami's IPs... smh. Lol. Funny how the story changes fr some people. Lol.
Regardless, things got a lot more interesting.

There’s a difference between the winner widening their lead vs a underdog making a comeback. It’s just funny that the “underdog” in this case is a $trillion corporation ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.