By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm fully expecting big franchises like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout to be availabe on Playstation 5. Too much revene to ignore. Just like with Minecraft.
I don't think MS did this for Xbox, but for Gamepass. They are trying to make it the Netflix of gaming, and succeeding.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

So to sum it up:

1. Microsoft acquires Bethesda.

2. All currently ongoing contracts will be honored, namely Sony's moneyhats for timed exclusive PS5 games.

3. Future Bethesda games will release on Xbox, PC and Game Pass day 1. Other consoles will get games on a case by case basis.

4. As of right now, there's no good reason to believe that Microsoft will lock out PlayStation entirely. Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft is actually more consumer-friendly than Sony when it comes to gaming. Sony lives off an undeserved good guy image.

5. Microsoft will not perform any quality assurance for Bethesda games, so Bethesda's beloved bug-ridden IPs will still be as wonky as ever.

6. Microsoft makes use of the generational reset to improve their image. This is a huge acquisition, so whoever still has doubts that Microsoft isn't serious about gaming needs a good amount of time for self-evaluation and self-reflection.

7. The collector's edition of the two Ori games on Switch remains a giant rip-off.

So in the end I am sorry that I have to say that this isn't good enough of Microsoft to win me as a customer. At least not today.

Well I don't condone these big purchases. There is no need for it.

Yeah I'll just play these (mostly janky) games on PC but whatever. Sucks for those on other platforms, I suppose.

Farsala said:
That's $7.5B to increase their game studios from 15 to 23. Will there be a response?

I expect Sony to buy some more studios themselves, but it wont compare to what Microsoft did with this.

If this acquisition can double Xbox Gamepass current membership. 15 million new Gamepass Ultimate membership x $15 Gamepass ultimate x 12 months = 2.7 Billion a years. Now just imagine if they can grow Xbox Gamepass to 50 million - 100 million members. 

hunter_alien said:
Marth said:
It's quite funny to see the double standard.

I remember how people were cheering when Sony acquired Insomniac. How that was an amazing move.
But when Microsoft does it everyone acts oh so concerned.

We need Nintendo to get in that game as well to complete the trifecta. Default reaction would probably be downplaying Nintendos aquisitions all the time lol.

No, I am really sorry. Buying a developer after your competitor buys up seven, is nowhere near the same caliber as buying 7 studios and then a major publisher. Any double standards that were present at the Insomniac acquisition pale in comparison to this abomination of a deal.

Anyone who pretends this is in any way shape or form a positive step does not see the icy slope in front of us. They literally bought 14 studios instead of building up new ones, or actually invest in fledging low-level devs. Microsoft clearly shows their intent to pretty much buy themselves into an industry without any creative or visionary input, and kill off any competition if possible. But hey, if you are fine with that then more power to you

Well, you should put the blame for that on Sony fans. They made such a ruckus about "Xbox has no exclusives" that they forced MS's hand.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
HollyGamer said:

We'll Sony never buy publisher tho, also all companies that sony purchase are small company that has not made their names. 

Maybe i am wrong, but Naughty Dog was not that big when they were purchase. Correct me if i am wrong . Also Is not even fair to compared to buying Bethesda 

Chris Hu said:
Angelv577 said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/notaxation/status/1308063886617255937 if this is true then what is the point of acquiring them.

I'm pretty sure the guy is making giant assumptions.

I don't really care much about Microsoft or Sony but Colin Moriarty isn't exactly a paragon of objectivity when it comes to anything concerning Sony.

Ka-pi96 said:

They weren't releasing in other places. When they started caring about PC again they were Windows Store exclusive for awhile. If long term they wanted everything to be on their own store/launcher then they would have stuck to that. They didn't however, they gave in and started releasing on Steam too. I don't see why they would have done that if it wasn't part of a permanent shift in their strategy.

Means nothing.  You can't count on anything being permanent with Microsoft.  Microsoft does whatever they want when their agenda changes, which is kind of often.  I remember when they were telling everyone that they were committed to Games for Windows Live.  Microsoft is aggressive and ambitious.  They're also big enough that they don't really worry about people being upset with them because they have enough money to force through unpopular decisions.  Wouldn't surprise me if they thought they were big enough with the next Elder Scrolls release to fight against Steam again.  

HollyGamer said:
ironmanDX said:

Maybe i am wrong, but Naughty Dog was not that big when they were purchase. Correct me if i am wrong . Also Is not even fair to compared to buying Bethesda 

yes yes you are

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:
hinch said:

And breathe...

Yup, it's time to relax. Colin Moriarty made a prediction and he has a great track record.

So to sum it up:

1. Microsoft acquires Bethesda.

2. All currently ongoing contracts will be honored, namely Sony's moneyhats for timed exclusive PS5 games.

3. Future Bethesda games will release on Xbox, PC and Game Pass day 1. Other consoles will get games on a case by case basis.

4. As of right now, there's no good reason to believe that Microsoft will lock out PlayStation entirely. Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft is actually more consumer-friendly than Sony when it comes to gaming. Sony lives off an undeserved good guy image.

5. Microsoft will not perform any quality assurance for Bethesda games, so Bethesda's beloved bug-ridden IPs will still be as wonky as ever.

6. Microsoft makes use of the generational reset to improve their image. This is a huge acquisition, so whoever still has doubts that Microsoft isn't serious about gaming needs a good amount of time for self-evaluation and self-reflection.

7. The collector's edition of the two Ori games on Switch remains a giant rip-off.

So in the end I am sorry that I have to say that this isn't good enough of Microsoft to win me as a customer. At least not today.

Is this the first day ever they didn't lose you as a customer though? Phil will be all tears of joy.