By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead

Hiku said:

Republicans blocked Obama's pick 7 months before an election, but will fill a seat 2 months before an election.

Mitch McConnell and co never had any beliefs to betray. This behavior is consistent with their immoral naked pursuit of power.

You're acting like the hypocrisy is new, lol.

Around the Network

I wish this thread was focused on other things than it has been, but can we all please stop pretending to be ignorant? Both sides want their own justices on the bench. Both sides will say whatever they have to get their way and make the other side bad. Yes, Repuplicans tanked Garland and eliminated the filibuster on SC picks. Yes Democrats destroyed filibuster on many other things before that, and are threatening to end it entirely going forward. Biden had stated he is against packing the Supreme Court. I wonder how quick that will change?
Republicans have not threatened the Supreme Court with expansion, even though they've been on the losing side of their most hot button issue, abortion, for decades. Both sides have played unfairly at different times. Can we please stop pretending one is less manipulate than the other? Do we really think if it was Hillary was President with a Democrat Senate 2 months before election that they wouldn't try to fill the seat?

Have your own opinion, but just don't allow yourself to be so easily manipulated. I hate what the media has become and how it manipulates so many hundreds of millions of Americans. Sometimes I like to watch news from decades ago on YouTube to see how much more professional and unbiased they were back then.

Ninten78 said:
I hope you Americans wise up and remove Putin's puppetry.

What moves was he puppeteering?  Arming Ukraine?

Proxy-Pie said:
Hiku said:

Republicans blocked Obama's pick 7 months before an election, but will fill a seat 2 months before an election.

Mitch McConnell and co never had any beliefs to betray. This behavior is consistent with their immoral naked pursuit of power.

You're acting like the hypocrisy is new, lol.

There's no point in voting on it if you know its not going to pass.  Why would they vote for Obama's nominee so close to the election if they can wait and get a right wing President and then vote.  It's politics. Just like how Pelosi moves to impeach Trump at the same time she's passing his agenda lol 

Well reading this thread, I hope Trump wins the election, will be an interesting time ahead for the rest of the world to watch.

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:

There's no point in voting on it if you know its not going to pass.  Why would they vote for Obama's nominee so close to the election if they can wait and get a right wing President and then vote.  It's politics. Just like how Pelosi moves to impeach Trump at the same time she's passing his agenda lol 

We all know what is going to happen next. McDonnel and his cronies will go after every republican senator that is "unsure" about voting now for a new sc justice. And one after the other the senators will comply and bend over. McDonnell only needs 50 votes of the 53 senators for another Kavanaugh and there is really nothing the Democrats can do. 

Hiku said:
Dulfite said:
I wish this thread was focused on other things than it has been, 

I don't know much about the deceased judge, because she's not like a public figure that's been in our lives in some intimate manner, unlike many other deceased people getting threads like this. I can say R.I.P., but there's nothing I can focus on there.
We can have a separate thread for the subject that is the elephant in the room if people want it, but few people, you included, focused on, or said anything of substance regarding her life.

Dulfite said:
but can we all please stop pretending to be ignorant? Both sides want their own justices on the bench. Both sides will say whatever they have to get their way and make the other side bad. Yes, Repuplicans tanked Garland and eliminated the filibuster on SC picks. 

There's a big difference between wanting, and doing. Democrats have not yet been in a position to pull this stunt that the GOP set a precedence for, and until they do, can we please stop pretending that it's 'both sides' here. This is a lifetime appointment with immense legal and political repercussions for the next half century.
When the Democrats do this twice, then we can talk. But chances are they won't, because they want to uphold the image of having morals.

Sure, let's talk doing. FDR, who had more lifetime impact than any other President in history due to his 3 full terms (and then some months), tried to pack the court to get his way more. This is arguably the most famous Democratic President ever, and absolutely the most influential and powerful, and he could not tolerate a Supreme Court ruling against him to the point that he wanted to cheat under some silly notion that the 9 were overworked or too old to make reasoned decisions (notions the people, Congress, and the Court itself rejected).

Trump has had the SC rule in his favor and against him numerous times since taking office. Obamacare survived, despite what he wanted. Abortion rights were not weakened, let alone wiped out, like he wanted. And what did he do? Tweeted out annoyance. He didn't seriously attempt (like FDR) to convince the Republican controlled Senate to approve of expanding the court to get more of his way.

It seems like the majority of the time Republicans lose at the Supreme Court, they are mad but accept the loss, whereas Democrats, when they lose at the Supreme Court, start calling for the expansion of the court. If both sides could just accept when they lose and hope to one day get the court that they desire, rather than trying to destabilize the whole system, we'd be better off.

If the Democrats were to expand the court, then the next time Republicans take back the Senate they would have full reasoning to balance that out by adding proportional to what was lost by the last expansion. And then the pattern would continue, which would eliminate the SC as a check on government and make it more a reflection of the CURRENT powers that be. I want a SC that is mostly comprised of people that were appointed before current administrations. If FDR had his way, the majority of the court would have been his picks by far. We rejected that idea decades ago and we need to reject it again today or the SC will become just as destabilized as the other two branches.

NightlyPoe said:
the-pi-guy said:

If it's a Democrat problem, why do you have such an issue with Democrats wanting to fix Democrat problems?  

>Republicans don't play fair? They seem to be the only ones protecting the Electoral College.

Something about where you live affecting how much your vote counts doesn't seem very fair. 

Democrats in 2000 and 2016 believed that the electoral college would grant them the victory (remember the "blue wall" anyone?).  In both cases, they would have happily taken the win if the election had turned out differently.

Difference really is that Republicans wouldn't have spent years complaining about it.

Same thing happened with gerrymandering.  For the whole 2nd half of the 20th century it helped Democrats remain the nation's de facto ruling party in Congress and in state legislatures.  The moment that Republicans got the upper hand in it, it became a bad thing.

Yeah I made similar comment in comparing this situation to FDR wanting to pack the court to get his way. When Republicans lose, they accept it and sometimes protest. When Democrats lose, they protest (that's fine), riot (not good), try to kill those that oppose them (horrendous), and call for the abolition of institutions (electoral college) or pack the courts.

NightlyPoe said:
the-pi-guy said:

If it's a Democrat problem, why do you have such an issue with Democrats wanting to fix Democrat problems?  

>Republicans don't play fair? They seem to be the only ones protecting the Electoral College.

Something about where you live affecting how much your vote counts doesn't seem very fair. 

Democrats in 2000 and 2016 believed that the electoral college would grant them the victory (remember the "blue wall" anyone?).  In both cases, they would have happily taken the win if the election had turned out differently.

Difference really is that Republicans wouldn't have spent years complaining about it.

This is kind of nonsense...

In both 2000 and 2016, some Democrats believed that the Electoral College AND the popular vote would grant them victory. Especially in 2016, there has not been any reasonable expectation that the Democrats would win the Electoral College and lose the popular vote. Yes, democrats would have taken an electoral win in 2016, however, they would have done so with strong popular support, so what point are you trying to make?

And it is hilarious that you honestly think that Republicans wouldn't have spent years complaining about winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college. Trump won and he has still spent years complaining about the election...

Shadow1980 said:
Hopefully this lights a fire under the asses of fence-sitting progressives everywhere and gets them to vote Biden. This is why elections matter. Republicans will never play fair, so we have to beat them at the ballot box.
Shadow1980 said: 
Hopefully this lights a fire under the asses of fence-sitting progressives everywhere and gets them to vote Biden. This is why elections matter. Republicans will never play fair, so we have to beat them at the ballot box.

I’m independent, and it just baffles me how many people think one side is either all good or all evil. Democrats are just as corrupt as Republicans. All each side wants is power. The fact that you suggest Republicans are the only ones who don’t “play fair” is coo-coo.

I’ve got plenty of criticisms of Trump, but no president in history, including Trump, has gone without doing a single positive thing. But even when he’s done something positive, Dems and the liberal media (which is approx 95%?) find a negative spin every single time. And the same happens with Fox News when a Dem president is in. The great majority of politicians and media are pathetically corrupt and biased, and they’ll play unfairly as much as they’re able to get away with. 

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 19 September 2020