By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Explains Why 1st Party Games Won't Debut Day 1 on PS Now

Tagged games:

Bandorr said:
Machiavellian said:

The fact that its beyond you is the reason you do not understand the model.  How can XBO, Netflix and other content providers create content where these shows and movies cost millions to make but only charge their subs 10 to 15 bucks a month.  You need to think about that for a minute and I believe it will start to make more sense.  

What portion of Netflix do you think is actual original content? Netflix isn't making million dollar movies.

So are you saying any of the original series content that Netflix actually put money into isn't finance by them.  Including, miniseries, specials (comedy etc), documentaries and movies.

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

"These games cost many millions of dollars, well over $100 million, to develop" That a gross exaggeration there's only a handful of games that have reach this figure let alone sony exclusives.
Also, what about day 1 A, AA games? no excuse for them?

But I think there's little confusion here the quote refer to streaming service and you compare with Gamepass which ain't a streaming service.

For Sony there might be a lot of investment to do to upgrade their PS Now infra to support higher resolutions and new releases which would also see a higher number of user. These investment might even be too high to justify.
Microsoft on the other end may rely on azure platforms.

If we talk more specifically about PS Plus Collection than you can quote me on this, Sony will release most of there AAA day one on it by the end of the generation. When this happen I'll buy a ps5 digital edition and subscribe to it for sure

I think you might be severely underestimating just how much development costs have increased, and how fast.

"Shawn Layden referenced PlayStation’s The Last of Us 2 – a game he oversaw – which is roughly double the length and took double the development time of its predecessor. While the former PlayStation exec did not comment on the Naughty Dog game’s budget, he referred to a common theory that development costs had doubled with every new console generation, and claimed that current-gen games had reached between $80m and $150m for most AAA games.Source.

That's for this generation (PS4, Xbox One).

"Industry research firm IDG Consulting recently said it believed that more major games publishers would explore raising the prices of their games on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, as development costs are expected to increase." 

"In 2005, a AAA developer making a top-10 title-Electronic Arts developing the next Madden, for instance- was spending somewhere between $25 million and $35 million. “But let’s say you’re a more reasonable, cost-rational development studio,” Osaki said. “Now [in 2020], for that same [top-10] title, you’re looking at development costs somewhere between $75 to $100 million. Some folks are spending $100 million to $150 million depending on what studio, what genre, what IP you’re looking at.Source.

GT5 (10 years ago) cost Sony- $60 million. Fable Legends (2016) reportedly cost MS- $75 million.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Sony's big AAA games are hitting $100 million in development costs.

Bandorr said:
Machiavellian said:

So are you saying any of the original series content that Netflix actually put money into isn't finance by them.  Including, miniseries, specials (comedy etc), documentaries and movies.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-2020-content-spending-17-billion-1203469237/

I guess things cost a lot more than I realized. Netflix is seriously spending a ton.

Netflix’s main source of revenue comes from its massive amount of subscribers, each paying from $8.99 to $15.99 per month. With a reported 182.8 million paying subscribers around the world

Things cost a lot, but they have a HUGE userbase.  Also their costs are slowly rising over time. I think my mom is paying around $18 right now? Where as how many game pass users are paying $1?

Interesting things to google - thanks.

And?  Netflix gave a ton of free months away for new consumers, to the point most were like 'why would I not use a different card/email everytime and continue with free months?'.  

Criticizing an awesome service like Gamepass because you have to pay 79$ for game is a bit sad.

Mandalore76 said:
Intrinsic said:

Now imagine that MS makes 4 AAA games a year that cost an average of $80M (some cot more, some cost less), that's $320M to make those 4 games. Now imagine that each game can sell 12M copies in a 12 Month window. And they are sold at an average price of $55 (some buy at $70, some at $60, some at $50 and some at $40). Thats $2.6B+ from just those 4 games. So they make from just 4 AAA games that can sell to around 12M people over 12 months more money than they would make from 20M people paying for GP for 1 year. They turn a $320M investment into a $2.4B return vs a $1B investment into a $1B return (if even that much).

What 4 games are selling 12 million copies each in the same 12 month window?

Yeah, which/how many Xbox (or even PlayStation) first party games reached 12 million (or even 10 million) copies in a 12 month window?

And four of them in the same year? With only minor price cuts? That's... very optimistic.

sales2099 said:

Official response: That’s why Xbox put their games on Steam/Win Store. And then you got the majority who still buy games on console. Full purchases of games go hand and hand with Game Pass.

Unofficial Response: Sony knows damn well they got their fans right where they want them. They know they can make more money from traditional sales and have no reason to transition from short term income gain to steady flow of income.

Oh shit business are going to business, do you think Microsoft created gamepass because they feel nice and like giving? Each company is going to do what they feel will bring them the most profit

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
konnichiwa said:

And?  Netflix gave a ton of free months away for new consumers, to the point most were like 'why would I not use a different card/email everytime and continue with free months?'.  

Criticizing an awesome service like Gamepass because you have to pay 79$ for game is a bit sad.

You seem confused.  I didn't criticize Gamepass, I asked a question. Why did the question bother you so?

When was the last time Netflix gave out free months? When somethings being question bothers you - you should wonder "why does this bother me".

Also I don't have to pay $79. Waiting is always a choice. A very obvious choice.

Your defensive nature and desperate need to protect something I was never attacked did offer an interesting point though. I'm going to look into the history of Netflix. Free months, price changes etc. - Thanks.

You litterally have said Gamepass is confusing people and mock them with the 10$ answer.  We already had the bitterness in the Monster Thread blame Sony not Nintendo or Microsoft.

Secondly  Netflix free trial and you will find some links.  I am sure they gave away free trials last months during the lockdowns.

At the end of the day it’s up to gamers to decide you want cheap mediocre games like sea of thieves? Buy a subscription service, you want high quality games? Support the developer and pay for it.
I wonder if the people who defend Netflix have actually watched their original content, because honestly most of the the Netflix movies I have watched are almost embarrassing.

User was moderated for this post among others - cycycychris 

Last edited by cycycychris - on 20 September 2020

gamingsoul said:
At the end of the day it’s up to gamers to decide you want cheap mediocre games like sea of thieves? Buy a subscription service, you want high quality games? Support the developer and pay for it.
I wonder if the people who defend Netflix have actually watched their original content, because honestly most of the the Netflix movies I have watched are almost embarrassing.

The Irishman, Beast of no Nation, The Babysitter 1 + 2, El Camino, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Narcos, Narcos: Mexico, Stranger Things, Ozark, Altered Carbon, The Umbrella Academy, The Dark Crystal, The Witcher, Locke & Key, Dark, After Life, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Arrested Development, Black Mirror, Mindhunter, Godless Marvel's Daredevil, Punisher,...

Yeah, mediocre and almost embarassing content.

Bandorr said:
Machiavellian said:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-2020-content-spending-17-billion-1203469237/

I guess things cost a lot more than I realized. Netflix is seriously spending a ton.

Netflix’s main source of revenue comes from its massive amount of subscribers, each paying from $8.99 to $15.99 per month. With a reported 182.8 million paying subscribers around the world

Things cost a lot, but they have a HUGE userbase.  Also their costs are slowly rising over time. I think my mom is paying around $18 right now? Where as how many game pass users are paying $1?

Interesting things to google - thanks.

You and I both know the 1 dollar is just there to get you to get on the service.  Once you are in they believe they will keep you and the service over time will pay for itself.  This is not a short term investment but a long term bet and its something MS can invest in because they have the money and the infrastructure to do it.  The thing they need to invest in is the content and they are getting their cues from other service related companies like Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime, you name it.  MS is looking to push their service on everything they can looking for subs in the same millions of users like Netflix, HBO etc.  As some have stated, MS is not in the console marketshare war anymore they have moved passed that and are looking for a much bigger prize.  

Conina said:
gamingsoul said:

The Irishman, Beast of no Nation, The Babysitter 1 + 2, El Camino, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Narcos, Narcos: Mexico, Stranger Things, Ozark, Altered Carbon, The Umbrella Academy, The Dark Crystal, The Witcher, Locke & Key, Dark, After Life, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Arrested Development, Black Mirror, Mindhunter, Godless Marvel's Daredevil, Punisher,...

Yeah, mediocre and almost embarassing content.

cheap entertainment products without any lasting appeal, I read their actors and producers don’t even earn enough to pay their rent.