Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic 30th anniversary logo revealed, year will be celebrated with new games (plural), events, major announcements

The first wave of announced 30th anniversary merchandising:

Sonic Encyclo-Speedia-Ia

Dark Horse Comics LLC is celebrating SEGA with a full-color, hardcover historical retrospective encyclopedia that explores nearly every video game and provides deep insights into the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.

POP! Vinyl Figures

Funko LLC and SEGA have partnered up to bring fans a new collection of Pop! Vinyl Figures, with iconic characters including Classic Sonic, Tails, Silver, and more!

Continues Toys & Collectibles

Jakks Pacific, Inc. is continuing to deliver speed, heroism and irreverent Sonic fun to fans of all ages with a collection of action figures and plush toys.

Jewelry Collection

King Ice has created an official jewelry collection, brought together with 3D design and hand-set stones and quality craftsmanship, bringing Sonic to life in jewelry form with a Hip-Hop influence.

Apparel & Accessories

Graph Gaming is launching an all new collection in the Spring of 2021, featuring exclusive apparel and accessories dedicated to everyone’s favorite blue blur.

Classic Sonic Comic Book Miniseries

For Sonic’s 30th IDW Publishing will be releasing their first Classic Sonic adventure in a spectacular special! In addition, they will launch a new mini-series and continue publishing the wildly successful ongoing series in both the English and Spanish language.

Collectible Enamel Pins

FiGPiN Inc. has joined forces with SEGA to bring fans a unique collectibles experience with their Sonic the Hedgehog line of FiGPiNs, featuring all your favorite characters beginning this Winter.

Sonic Energy Drinks

G Fuel: The Official Energy Drink of Esports has recently partnered with Sonic The Hedgehog to bring the character’s iconic Peach Rings to life by way of an energizing, high-performance, sugar-free peach-infused Energy Drink. G Fuel and Sonic’s Peach Rings flavor is set to re-launch in an exclusive 30th anniversary collector’s box in 2021.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 September 2020

Around the Network

If the rumors are true, we will get both Mania 2 and something Sonic Adventure (either a remake of Adventure 1 or Adventure 3) in 2021.

Steps to success for Sonic games:

1. Let the people who did Sonic Mania handle a new 2D adventure, and stay out of the way completely. They'll let you know when it's good and ready.

2. Don't let Sonic Team handle the new 3D Sonic. They suck. Just about anyone would take the field over Sonic Team at this point. Give it to Playtonic or Gears for Breakfast or something. Just whatever you do, stay out of the way completely, Sega. If it's not ready in time for 2021, oh well. Remember Sonic '06 and Sonic Boom?

shikamaru317 said:
If the rumors are true, we will get both Mania 2 and something Sonic Adventure (either a remake of Adventure 1 or Adventure 3) in 2021.

Please give me Sonic Mania 2. The Genesis / Mega Drive Sonic games are by far the best in the franchise and I LOVED Sonic Mania. The nostalgia was real. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Steps to success for Sonic anniversary:

1. Let the people who did Sonic Mania handle a new 2D adventure, and stay out of the way completely. They'll let you know when it's good and ready.

2. Sequel film - Sonic 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Thats cool tho, I'd imagine Mania 2 is a sure thing.

Around the Network

I really hope Sonic Mania 2 is a thing but I want it to be entirely new levels. No more falling back on Sonic 1-3's Zones. As far as 3D Sonic goes, I'm scared to see how Sega would handle a new Sonic Adventure, so I'd rather that they just remade SA1 or SA2. Overall I'd rather a 3D Sonic game that isn't boost formula related. I hope Sega takes Sonic's 30th seriously.

Jpcc86 said:

Steps to success for Sonic anniversary:

2. Sequel film - Sonic 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Thats cool tho, I'd imagine Mania 2 is a sure thing.

Sequel film is coming in 2022, already confirmed. Might have made 2021 were it not for Covid.

Ljink96 said:
I really hope Sonic Mania 2 is a thing but I want it to be entirely new levels. No more falling back on Sonic 1-3's Zones. As far as 3D Sonic goes, I'm scared to see how Sega would handle a new Sonic Adventure, so I'd rather that they just remade SA1 or SA2. Overall I'd rather a 3D Sonic game that isn't boost formula related. I hope Sega takes Sonic's 30th seriously.

I'm hoping for a mix of old and new for Sonic Mania 2. The first one had more old levels remade and not many newer levels, while a sequel I'd want it would be 50/50. I'd also like to see the Super Emeralds, which means Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles (aka totally a copy of Super Saiyan 2). 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I'll expect the worst.

trunkswd said:
Ljink96 said:

I'm hoping for a mix of old and new for Sonic Mania 2. The first one had more old levels remade and not many newer levels, while a sequel I'd want it would be 50/50. I'd also like to see the Super Emeralds, which means Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles (aka totally a copy of Super Saiyan 2). 

That is literally exactly what I want for Mania 2. More new levels in the mix, 50/50 remake and new this time instead of 33/66 new/old like in Mania 1, with more total levels as well (they'll have 4 years of development on Mania 2, longer than Mania 1 got, so it should be a bigger game). Super emeralds are back, Hyper forms for Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails (Hyper Tails would be like Super Tails from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with the little superpowered flickies floating around him and increased speed over Super Tails), as well as Mighty and Ray from Mania Plus returning with brand new Hyper Forms this time. New playable characters this time as well, each with Super and Hyper forms, especially Classic Amy, more of the Chaotix characters as well if possible.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 September 2020