By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia to buy Arm for 40 Billion USD, what could this mean for Nintendo?

With Nintendo being so close to Nvidia, there is a considerable opportunity for a strengthening of the Empire. There are certainly some questions! I admit, I haven't given much thought, but a few immediately pop into my head:

Will Nintendo have access to all first-party ARM chipsets, unprecedented levels of AI, and a collective consciousness link between Switch and docking device?

Might Nvidia aim to add Nintendo's cultural and technological distinctiveness to their own?

Should Sony fans fear for their safety?

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-to-acquire-arm-for-40-billion-creating-worlds-premier-computing-company-for-the-age-of-ai

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 14 September 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Tagging in.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Nintendo is getting what it's paying for, there is no partnership beyond that. Nothing is gonna change for Nintendo at all.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Nintendo is getting what it's paying for, there is no partnership beyond that. Nothing is gonna change for Nintendo at all.

This. At most this just reinforces that Nintendo getting more bang for their buck, with AI playing a huge role in the future of gaming. Something AMD is behind on. 

Around the Network
vivster said:

LOL....

Anyways, Nintendo snag a deal with Tegra X1 on the OG switch because everyone turned their nose on Nvidia. Mobile and console no one was using Nvidia chips.

Fast forward 3 years.....

The switch is a ginormous success boosting Tegra business into profits. Keep in mind Nvidia was LOOSING money R&D/making Tegra chips.

I’m expecting fully customized top of the line chip CPU + GPU combo for Nintendo. The switch will be the mainstream device for nvidia to show their latest and greatest more so than their flop shield tablets. Unless they decide to backstab Nintendo which I doubt would happen since Nintendo pretty much saved the Tegra line.

Nintendo truly hit the jack pot. First, DLSS and now this lord.

BlackBeauty said:
vivster said:

LOL....

Anyways, Nintendo snag a deal with Tegra X1 on the OG switch because everyone turned their nose on Nvidia. Mobile and console no one was using Nvidia chips.

Fast forward 3 years.....

The switch is a ginormous success boosting Tegra business into profits. Keep in mind Nvidia was LOOSING money R&D/making Tegra chips.

I’m expecting fully customized top of the line chip CPU + GPU combo for Nintendo. The switch will be the mainstream device for nvidia to show their latest and greatest more so than their flop shield tablets. Unless they decide to backstab Nintendo which I doubt would happen since Nintendo pretty much saved the Tegra line.

Nintendo truly hit the jack pot. First, DLSS and now this lord.

Rose tinted glasses much? Nvidia is a chipmaker and Nintendo is one of its many many customers, not the other way around, so I don't know what you mean with "backstabbing".

The automotive market is the driver for Tegra, not consoles. It's a much bigger emerging market than gaming and it's so much more important to them than consoles. They may currently generate a good bit of revenue for Nvidia, but that will change within the next 5 years. Nintendo "saving" Tegra is the biggest joke I heard today. That's about as ridiculous as saying "Sony and Microsoft saved AMD".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I worked for Arm until a year ago, coulda been an nvidia man soon if I had stayed haha.

Anyway, I imagine this will get nvidia a leg up on chip design, and with Nintendo using nvidia chips that should help Nintendo in the future, though the positive effects probably won't happen for Switch 2 (perhaps a later model of Switch 2 though), since Switch 2 will likely be using some 2022 chip for a 2024 launch, and I doubt anything would change for a chip coming out in the next 2 years at this point. But I dunno how long it takes to bring new chips to market.

Nickel and dime them more, that chip costs pennies. Let's not forget Nvidia have 60%+ profit margins, they are like Apple and sorry, Nintendo at rinsing their consumer base.

Slownenberg said:
I worked for Arm until a year ago, coulda been an nvidia man soon if I had stayed haha.

Anyway, I imagine this will get nvidia a leg up on chip design, and with Nintendo using nvidia chips that should help Nintendo in the future, though the positive effects probably won't happen for Switch 2 (perhaps a later model of Switch 2 though), since Switch 2 will likely be using some 2022 chip for a 2024 launch, and I doubt anything would change for a chip coming out in the next 2 years at this point. But I dunno how long it takes to bring new chips to market.

Very interesting, what was your role in the company? And how locked down are you in going into detail about them as per your severance agreement NDA? =P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.