Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia to buy Arm for 40 Billion USD, what could this mean for Nintendo?

Slownenberg said:
I worked for Arm until a year ago, coulda been an nvidia man soon if I had stayed haha.

Anyway, I imagine this will get nvidia a leg up on chip design, and with Nintendo using nvidia chips that should help Nintendo in the future, though the positive effects probably won't happen for Switch 2 (perhaps a later model of Switch 2 though), since Switch 2 will likely be using some 2022 chip for a 2024 launch, and I doubt anything would change for a chip coming out in the next 2 years at this point. But I dunno how long it takes to bring new chips to market.

Very interesting, what was your role in the company? And how locked down are you in going into detail about them as per your severance agreement NDA? =P



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Slownenberg said:
I worked for Arm until a year ago, coulda been an nvidia man soon if I had stayed haha.

Anyway, I imagine this will get nvidia a leg up on chip design, and with Nintendo using nvidia chips that should help Nintendo in the future, though the positive effects probably won't happen for Switch 2 (perhaps a later model of Switch 2 though), since Switch 2 will likely be using some 2022 chip for a 2024 launch, and I doubt anything would change for a chip coming out in the next 2 years at this point. But I dunno how long it takes to bring new chips to market.

Very interesting, what was your role in the company? And how locked down are you in going into detail about them as per your severance agreement NDA? =P

haha, sadly i have no relevant information. I didn't work in their main chip design division. I worked in the other division, the newer internet services (IoT) division. Arm bought the startup I worked at but I only stayed at Arm for like 7.5 months before I quit.



Nintendo has access to all tech available on the market, and they're a big enough buyer that they have plenty of access to custom tech. This deal doesn't change that in any way. Nvidia isn't gonna call them up and say "hey, we spent $40b on this company, so we can now give you extra stuff for the hell of it."

Ninty can buy whatever they want, from whoever they want, just like they could yesterday and the day before. I don't see where there's anything here to help Nintendo. If anything consolidation is generally a negative for customers (Nintendo in this case, and trickling down to us), because of upward pressure on pricing. But, I don't know enough about the specifics products offered by Arm to say whether that's likely to be a big factor here.



This could mean Nintendo is locked to a single supplier so that supplier have more power against them, or Nintendo becomes more relevant customer since the total expenditure on that supplier will increase. Anything outside of that I wouldn't put much weight into.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
This could mean Nintendo is locked to a single supplier so that supplier have more power against them, or Nintendo becomes more relevant customer since the total expenditure on that supplier will increase. Anything outside of that I wouldn't put much weight into.

Wrong. Nintendo has absolutely no dealings with ARM. They have only ever been a customer to Nvidia who created and manufacturwd the chip after they licensed the design from ARM. The only thing that happens through that deal is that Nvidia now has to pay less for ARM designs.

If you purchase an apple in the supermarket then you don't suddenly have a contract with the orchard. That also doesn't change if the supermarket buys the orchard.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
DonFerrari said:
This could mean Nintendo is locked to a single supplier so that supplier have more power against them, or Nintendo becomes more relevant customer since the total expenditure on that supplier will increase. Anything outside of that I wouldn't put much weight into.

Wrong. Nintendo has absolutely no dealings with ARM. They have only ever been a customer to Nvidia who created and manufacturwd the chip after they licensed the design from ARM. The only thing that happens through that deal is that Nvidia now has to pay less for ARM designs.

If you purchase an apple in the supermarket then you don't suddenly have a contract with the orchard. That also doesn't change if the supermarket buys the orchard.

Understood, wrongly assumed Nintendo had business with Arm since the OP was so celebratory.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

I fear a company as greedy as NVidia buying ARM is good news for NVidia and nobody else. But could be worse. Could be Intel.



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 
 


vivster said:
BlackBeauty said:

LOL....

Anyways, Nintendo snag a deal with Tegra X1 on the OG switch because everyone turned their nose on Nvidia. Mobile and console no one was using Nvidia chips.

Fast forward 3 years.....

The switch is a ginormous success boosting Tegra business into profits. Keep in mind Nvidia was LOOSING money R&D/making Tegra chips.

I’m expecting fully customized top of the line chip CPU + GPU combo for Nintendo. The switch will be the mainstream device for nvidia to show their latest and greatest more so than their flop shield tablets. Unless they decide to backstab Nintendo which I doubt would happen since Nintendo pretty much saved the Tegra line.

Nintendo truly hit the jack pot. First, DLSS and now this lord.

Rose tinted glasses much? Nvidia is a chipmaker and Nintendo is one of its many many customers, not the other way around, so I don't know what you mean with "backstabbing".

The automotive market is the driver for Tegra, not consoles. It's a much bigger emerging market than gaming and it's so much more important to them than consoles. They may currently generate a good bit of revenue for Nvidia, but that will change within the next 5 years. Nintendo "saving" Tegra is the biggest joke I heard today. That's about as ridiculous as saying "Sony and Microsoft saved AMD".

Switch 3 confirmed to be a self driving Nintendo car and game console all in one. The entire window system is a 4D screen, completely emerging you into whatever game you are playing by blocking views from the outside world. Built in smart vibration system into seats make it all the more engaging.