By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Showcase - Wednesday Sept 16

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

This sounds like damage control. You can’t say “we believe in generations”, show games only on PS5 and then low key slip in that they are cross gen. It makes sense, how a new install base can possibly make as much profit as a base of 110 million...but that’s not the point. Sony positioned themselves as the traditional alternative to MSs “leave nobody behind” approach. And now they are arguably worse offenders then Xbox. 

The difference between what Sony and MS are doing is that MS is transparent from the start where as Sony is being shady. Sure people like us are informed. But that damage is done and many casuals get a false message. 

You going on a nice rant saying they adapted and it’s for the greater good. That’s nice and all but what about all the flak Xbox got for their cross gen initiative? We just gonna forget about that and pretend PS fans weren’t smug and elitist? Narratives change on a dime and this is no exception. I’d appreciate you at least own up to it before you accept Sony doing a MeToo of what Xbox is doing. 

But I didn't say that. Sony did, then they changed as they realized they wouldn't be able to get as many consoles out there as initially thought. I always thought it was dumb to just cut off the generation right at the launch date by not having some games cross gen. It's not damage control, it's good business. it's what they should have done all along. some exclusive to next gen, some cross gen. That's logical. 

It sounds less like Sony fucked up and more like folks like you will twist anything to make a good decision look bad because tribalism and other nonsense. 

As I said there's a world of difference between Microsoft's 'next gen doesn't mean much, everything for the first two years is cross gen' and Sony's 'we want next gen to mean something, so we're making games that are exclusive to next gen and can only be had with the new hardward but some stuff is going to be cross gen since we know a lot of people won't have PS5 consoles in the first year'. It's easy to twist it, and I guess we'll see who's right when the sales come out, won't we? 

oh, wait. PS5 is sold out everywhere within minutes and I can still get an Xbox Series X or S at my local gamestop (They tried offering). So yeah, do all the mental gymnastics you want, Sony's doing it right. If they weren't...they'd have the hype levels of Xbox right now.

Seems strange a store would be trying to get you to pre order something that isn't available to pre order... smells like more desperate bs to me.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

This sounds like damage control. You can’t say “we believe in generations”, show games only on PS5 and then low key slip in that they are cross gen. It makes sense, how a new install base can possibly make as much profit as a base of 110 million...but that’s not the point. Sony positioned themselves as the traditional alternative to MSs “leave nobody behind” approach. And now they are arguably worse offenders then Xbox. 

The difference between what Sony and MS are doing is that MS is transparent from the start where as Sony is being shady. Sure people like us are informed. But that damage is done and many casuals get a false message. 

You going on a nice rant saying they adapted and it’s for the greater good. That’s nice and all but what about all the flak Xbox got for their cross gen initiative? We just gonna forget about that and pretend PS fans weren’t smug and elitist? Narratives change on a dime and this is no exception. I’d appreciate you at least own up to it before you accept Sony doing a MeToo of what Xbox is doing. 

But I didn't say that. Sony did, then they changed as they realized they wouldn't be able to get as many consoles out there as initially thought. I always thought it was dumb to just cut off the generation right at the launch date by not having some games cross gen. It's not damage control, it's good business. it's what they should have done all along. some exclusive to next gen, some cross gen. That's logical. 

It sounds less like Sony fucked up and more like folks like you will twist anything to make a good decision look bad because tribalism and other nonsense. 

As I said there's a world of difference between Microsoft's 'next gen doesn't mean much, everything for the first two years is cross gen' and Sony's 'we want next gen to mean something, so we're making games that are exclusive to next gen and can only be had with the new hardward but some stuff is going to be cross gen since we know a lot of people won't have PS5 consoles in the first year'. It's easy to twist it, and I guess we'll see who's right when the sales come out, won't we? 

oh, wait. PS5 is sold out everywhere within minutes and I can still get an Xbox Series X or S at my local gamestop (They tried offering). So yeah, do all the mental gymnastics you want, Sony's doing it right. If they weren't...they'd have the hype levels of Xbox right now.

0D0 said:

Agreed. The idea was to move on, but now we've got all those exclusive games on PS4.

I'm not upset tho. I'll probably play them on PS4.

Exactly. As much as I'm a PS fan, the idea of trying out the new Xbox (with better pre-order period) instead of jumping the PS4 ship seems very reasonable. Besides, there isn't many games that excited me, except GoW and FF.

I'll sleep on it, but high chance I'll be preordering an Xbox.

Full disclosure: I tried to secure a PS5 order, but no success.

So you will not buy a PS5 because 3 out of its 9 first-year games are cross-gen... but now have more reason to get an Xbox where al its games are cross-gen?

Not knocking your choices, just suggesting that you at least be consistent.

Runa216 said:

your response was much better than mine. Now I feel bad. 

Lol... It wouldn't matter how good my response is though, this ship has already sailed and people will turn it into what they want. Its interesting though, just two days ago MS was being Pro-consumer because they were taking a cross-gen initiative (hell even with their controller), but now Sony is a liar and there is no reason to get a PS5. That's all well and good, I just hope anyone saying that explains how if 3 outta 9 games being cross gen is bad for sony, then what must it be for MSwhereall their games for the next 2 years are cross-gen?

At the end of the day, It won't matter though. The PS5 will still sell well regardless. I also find it strange no one seems to be talking about the 19 games you get with the PS+ collection that basically all cost a PS+ subscription.

hinch said:
Lets be honest here, Sony ripped Xbox a new one in terms of upcoming games. Especially next year. I still can't believe GoW is coming next year... fully expecting a delay on this one.

Naaaa... games don't matter. Neither does how good they look. What matters is that 30% of those games are cross-gen. Now there is no reason to buy a PS5. 

DroidKnight said:
Runa216 said:

Preorders for Xbox Series X and S doesn't start till the 22nd. 

Really? I'll have to have a chat with that manager, then. KAREN POWERS ACTIVATE! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Seriously, Stop harassing me. The manager lied to me, not the other way around. Maybe he was joking and I misread it. All I know is that he offered me an Xbox Series X since nobody wanted them.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Seriously, Stop harassing me. The manager lied to me, not the other way around. Maybe he was joking and I misread it. All I know is that he offered me an Xbox Series X since nobody wanted them.

Oh come on now, you said a silly thing and people are reacting to it. If the manager lied then they lied, people will read your clarification and get on with their lives. No reason to accuse people of harassment.

Intrinsic said:
sales2099 said:

You can take it however you want to take it. But let's be honest here.

PS Studio Releases in the first year:

1. GOW2 (PS5)
  2. Ratchet (PS5)
  3. Demon Soul's (PS5)
  4. Destruction All-Stars (PS5)
  5. Returnal (PS5)*
  6. GT7 (PS5)*
  7. SpiderMan:MM (PS5 + PS4)
  8. Sackboy Adventures (PS5 + PS4)
  9. Horizon FW (PS5 + PS4)

If those 9 games listed, only 3 of them are cross-gen. If that doesn't tell you that they are focusing on next-gen I don't know what else would. All only said was that they believe in generations, and went onto to say "f going to the trouble of making a new console they believe that they should give people reasons to buy it". 

That is very very very different from MS saying, we don't believe in generations and everything from us over the next 2 years will be cross-gen.

Now if your issue is the messaging, I am with you on that, and just like back in March, I will say it again, sony's messaging sucks. It not that they lie or are misleading, but they simply do not give enough information or information in a transparent way. Even with all this, right there on the PS Blog, they mention the only games that are going to be cross-gen but go about it in a way that leaves it open to interpretation. 

Either way, this is very different from what MS is doing and you know it. Look at it this way, Sony showed Spiderman and HFW, and showed off the next-gen versions of those games (which we know now cause we know they are cross-gen), and they "looked" next-gen. MS showed Halo and it looked last gen. That's why MS was getting flak. Looking at the games I mentioned, its easier to believe or convince someone that the PS cross-gen games were built for the PS5 than it is to convince someone that Halo infinite was built for the XSX.

And this thing about casuals, it's honestly a forum thing. The casuals do not care one bit. The thing has sold out everywhere and no one outside the forums talking about this shit. Hell, casuals are actually happy that they get to play spiderman on their PS4. 

*games rumored to be 2021 but maybe 2022.

One last thing, I will say it again, and I even said it here when I was of the impression DS was also rose gen that I would just hold out on buying a PS5 until GOW is released. If everything sony announced was slated to be cross-gen, I would not buy a PS5 anytime soon. And that sentiment still applies to Xbox, because everything they are pushing out is expected to be cross-gen.

Yes at the core my issue is with the messaging. That and people pretending there’s no double standard here now that Sony threw their fans a curve ball. They clearly led people on and a lot of people suddenly went quiet that were not long ago ripping on Xbox for doing cross gen games. 

No need for lists, Xbox also has cross gen and fully next gen games in development. But I stand by when MS made it clear that they would do cross gen games at the start and taper off. Sony just pulled the rug out. 

Sorry man but everyone saying how Horizon would not only look better but would have worlds and whatever designed natively around the PS5, which would set it apart from Xbox cross gen. Now it’s no better, it is being built around the base PS4, even if they showed a pretty trailer compared to Halo (honestly 343 is more at fault then anything, it’s human error on their part imo). 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Runa216 said:

Raven said:
Runa216 said:

Oh come on now, you said a silly thing and people are reacting to it. If the manager lied then they lied, people will read your clarification and get on with their lives. No reason to accuse people of harassment.

That's fair. Alright, tease away. (Egg on my face, and all that)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Intrinsic said:
0D0 said:

Agreed. The idea was to move on, but now we've got all those exclusive games on PS4.

I'm not upset tho. I'll probably play them on PS4.

Exactly. As much as I'm a PS fan, the idea of trying out the new Xbox (with better pre-order period) instead of jumping the PS4 ship seems very reasonable. Besides, there isn't many games that excited me, except GoW and FF.

I'll sleep on it, but high chance I'll be preordering an Xbox.

Full disclosure: I tried to secure a PS5 order, but no success.

So you will not buy a PS5 because 3 out of its 9 first-year games are cross-gen... but now have more reason to get an Xbox where al its games are cross-gen?

Not knocking your choices, just suggesting that you at least be consistent.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I don't own a Xbox One. So, I'm considering an Xbox to play older games and benefit from gamepass.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?