Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series releasing in Japan day 1, JP pricing revealed

Imaginedvl said:
Ka-pi96 said:
What's an Xbox?

That's probably what 90% of the people in Japan are asking themselves...

I seriously think Microsoft should not even try lol. but ... good for them I guess

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

The Xbox series X is a full 100€ cheaper in japan than it is in Europe, that looks like kind of an insane gap.

Granted sales tax generally higher in Europe (although it is currently lowered in many countries due to corona).
Average sales tax is between 20 and 25% in Europe (it has to be over 15% as per the European Union), so the $ to € price conversion is actually pretty bang on, once you consider taxes, but the Japanese pricing includes 10% tax and is STILL 100€ cheaper.

So the base pricing is around 360€ in Japan vs. 410€ in Europe. 50€ gap. That a whole price drop!

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Don't forget that prices in Europe include tax.

Isn't that true for every country except the US though?

Turns out I misread. Australia definitely also includes tax. Japan doesn't, though.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't that true for every country except the US though?

Turns out I misread. Australia definitely also includes tax. Japan doesn't, though.

Not in this case by the looks of it, but usually we do.

Shops typically have both the actual price and the no-tax price on their labels.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Interested to see the reception, will it be better than XONE ?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Shops typically have both the actual price and the no-tax price on their labels.

So how long until you guys stop doing that and only use the real price? It might be the most frustrating part of visiting Japan. Feels ironic considering how correct and customer oriented Japanese shops are.

I think Microsoft needs jrpg exclusives, if they want to sell this system.

PopFan said:

Interested to see the reception, will it be better than XONE ?

That wouldn't take much effort. Launching with Yakuza Like A Dragon will help slightly. Xbox 360 never lit up the Japanese charts, but it at least had a heartbeat. Xbox One was dead on arrival.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

South African pricing released as well:

Xbox Series X = R 11 999 = $715
Xbox Series S = R 6 999 = $417

This is terrible pricing unfortunately. When the Xbox One released it was about the same price as the Xbox Series S.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

So how long until you guys stop doing that and only use the real price? It might be the most frustrating part of visiting Japan. Feels ironic considering how correct and customer oriented Japanese shops are.

Probably never, and part of that probably is because Japanese shops are customer oriented.

I mean, electronics stores make a pretty big deal of the fact that foreign non-residents can pay the tax free price, so it's probably worth displaying the tax free price for that reason. I believe it's only really for purchases over either 5 or 10 thousand (can't remember which), but still.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702