By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series releasing in Japan day 1, JP pricing revealed

Unprecedented for Xbox in Japan. I still think it's dead on arrival in Japan anyway. I can't see it selling much more than a million units. But that's an improvement over the Xbox and Xbox One. The 1.66 million units sold of the Xbox 360 is about the best the Xbox Series can hope for.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

So how long until you guys stop doing that and only use the real price? It might be the most frustrating part of visiting Japan. Feels ironic considering how correct and customer oriented Japanese shops are.

Probably never, and part of that probably is because Japanese shops are customer oriented.

I mean, electronics stores make a pretty big deal of the fact that foreign non-residents can pay the tax free price, so it's probably worth displaying the tax free price for that reason. I believe it's only really for purchases over either 5 or 10 thousand (can't remember which), but still.

Meh, that sucks. I never tried to get the tax back from all my purchases in Japan and never will. If anyone needs money right now it's Japan.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Everything helps I guess, though we all know how it’s gonna turn out. If MS is smart they all ready working on a purely Xcloud streaming box for sub $100. That’s what will make a splash

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I'm surprised they're going day one in Japan since there is so little market there for Xbox. South America should be their target imo.

In any case great prices, Australia less so.. O_o

drkohler said:
ironmanDX said:

That's actually pretty decent. Here's australia...

750 Aus $ is around 460 Euro. So it's actually cheaper in Australia than in Europe...

Yeah 461 euro and 540 odd US ,and includes 10% GST, usually we are more expense might be the euro AUS exchange rate is better this time and maybe less gouging . i remember years ago Sony Australia would blame  the exchange rate for the pricing, but later on when the AUS dollar shot up to around S110 US and they then blamed other factors like shipping but were caught out on the software side because Sony Australia has the largest blu -ray printing plant in the southern hemisphere and they print discs for all the main movie and TV studios not just Sony and distribute across oceania and southeast asia , this backlash lead to better pricing and less gouging and although the exchange rate has dropped since then, todays pricing seems fairer at least on the surface.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
The Xbox series X is a full 100€ cheaper in japan than it is in Europe, that looks like kind of an insane gap.

Granted sales tax generally higher in Europe (although it is currently lowered in many countries due to corona).
Average sales tax is between 20 and 25% in Europe (it has to be over 15% as per the European Union), so the $ to € price conversion is actually pretty bang on, once you consider taxes, but the Japanese pricing includes 10% tax and is STILL 100€ cheaper.

So the base pricing is around 360€ in Japan vs. 410€ in Europe. 50€ gap. That a whole price drop!

Nintendo and sony both have consoles that cost around 15-20% cheaper in japan, at launch at least, then the US, considering that tax exists, probably becasue they are a japanese company so its cheaper for them compared to the rest of the world. MS has the price there becasue they have to match said prices and they are the underdogs.

Granted, it looks like even sony's going to be a major underdog next gen compared to nintendo so...