By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series releasing in Japan day 1, JP pricing revealed

shikamaru317 said:
Jranation said:
How does this compare to Switch in Japan?

Based on Amazon Japan, Switch currently costs 43,000 yen, while Switch Lite costs 25,000. However, the Nintendo website says that Switch was 29,980 yen at release, not sure why the price is so much higher now, at least on Amazon. 

high scarcity. the lite is officially 19,990 yen. because of pandemic and the very, VERY high spike due to andemic and Animal crossing, as well as being the only console that actually SELLS in the reigion as ps4 sales have dropped to 3ds levels... and by that I mean the current sales numbers of ps4 is only slightly better then 3ds current sales numbers.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
What's an Xbox?

That's probably what 90% of the people in Japan are asking themselves...

I seriously think Microsoft should not even try lol. but ... good for them I guess

drkohler said:
ironmanDX said:

That's actually pretty decent. Here's australia...

750 Aus $ is around 460 Euro. So it's actually cheaper in Australia than in Europe...

Don't forget that prices in Europe include tax.

edit:my bad, Australia also includes them.

Last edited by vivster - on 10 September 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Imaginedvl said:
Ka-pi96 said:
What's an Xbox?

That's probably what 90% of the people in Japan are asking themselves...

I seriously think Microsoft should not even try lol. but ... good for them I guess

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The Xbox series X is a full 100€ cheaper in japan than it is in Europe, that looks like kind of an insane gap.

Granted sales tax generally higher in Europe (although it is currently lowered in many countries due to corona).
Average sales tax is between 20 and 25% in Europe (it has to be over 15% as per the European Union), so the $ to € price conversion is actually pretty bang on, once you consider taxes, but the Japanese pricing includes 10% tax and is STILL 100€ cheaper.

So the base pricing is around 360€ in Japan vs. 410€ in Europe. 50€ gap. That a whole price drop!

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Don't forget that prices in Europe include tax.

Isn't that true for every country except the US though?

Turns out I misread. Australia definitely also includes tax. Japan doesn't, though.

Interested to see the reception, will it be better than XONE ?

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Turns out I misread. Australia definitely also includes tax. Japan doesn't, though.

Not in this case by the looks of it, but usually we do.

Shops typically have both the actual price and the no-tax price on their labels.

So how long until you guys stop doing that and only use the real price? It might be the most frustrating part of visiting Japan. Feels ironic considering how correct and customer oriented Japanese shops are.

I think Microsoft needs jrpg exclusives, if they want to sell this system.

South African pricing released as well:

Xbox Series X = R 11 999 = $715
Xbox Series S = R 6 999 = $417

This is terrible pricing unfortunately. When the Xbox One released it was about the same price as the Xbox Series S.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|