By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite Levels Where it Rains?

The port town of Seyda Neen in Morrowind. As you step out of the town the area is magical and transforming in the rain. There’s a lighthouse that stands magically in front of the lightning. The drooping mossy branches, creeks near the path, and towering mushrooms take on a feeling I never felt in other games, when the rain is coming down. 

Around the Network

Downpour from Gears of War comes to mind

Blade Runner (Westwood 1997) - fantastic adaptation of cult classic film. It's raining the whole game, IIRC.

The start of Zelda A Link to the Past.

Made me a gamer and a Zelda fan.

every DriveClub rain level

Most Heavy Rain levels

Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvR7HyoZog

it has to be this

The Fire Emblem series does not have too many maps featuring rain, but of those few I think that chapter 10: Renewal from Fire Emblem Awakening is by far the best. The music used and the atmosphere from the rain really help to elevate this map above the others.

Chapter starts at 9:28, video contains early-game spoilers for Fire Emblem Awakening.

Fire Emblem Awakening; Chapter 10
The Last of Us: Early in the game when Joel and Ellie escape
Super Mario 3D World
Uncharted 4
Super Mario Odyssey
Marvel's Spider-Man: Final Boss

I know these don't count as levels, but I enjoy rain in the Animal Crossing series and Stardew Valley.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

- Like the rain in games like Metroid Prime and Mario Odyssey, where there is a clear difference in mood to when there isn't rain, is a cool contrast in Talon and New Donk City.

- The Cursed Sea sequence of Wind Waker perfectly encapsulates the feeling of dread, rush and despair as you are trying to get to the last orb.

- Po Town in Pokemon Sun & Moon is among the series' best locations.

- Also mention to Chapter 10 of Fire Emblem Awakening, since is the only sequence in the game that is executed well.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

As a pluviophile (One who loves the rain) I really like that atmosphere that it brings to games.

Some of my favourite examples (not all of them can strictly be called "levels") include Gears of War 1, (holy shit this scene looked insanely good at the time) Breath of the Wild, Tallon IV in Metroid Prime, Torvus Bog in Prime 2,  Click Clock Wood in Banjo Kazooie, Sawmill Thrill in Tropical Freeze, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past.  

I forgot about Torvus Bog and Tallon IV!! >.< The rain really helped the atmosphere in Sawmill Thrill, giving you the impression that what came next was not a safe situation.

I actually kinda found the opposite, that the rainy exterior at the level's beginning and end provided a relaxing contrast to the mayhem in between. But that's just me.