By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows Central: XSX: $499, XSS: $299 coming November 10th

This would be the perfect opportunity for Sony to drop by and drop a $399 price for PS5, and $299 for Digital. I wonder if they'll do it.

Around the Network

Well, fuck.
I wasn't too big on either next system gen at all. Definitely wasn't planning on buying a console on day one because I just don't see any software that justifies it. I may have to pick up an Xbox if I see one in the wild. The price is about what I expected (the S is MUCH lower) and the finance option is interesting...

I kinda wonder what kind of all access we get here, i doubt mediamarkt will do this

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

d21lewis said:
Well, fuck.
I wasn't too big on either next system gen at all. Definitely wasn't planning on buying a console on day one because I just don't see any software that justifies it. I may have to pick up an Xbox if I see one in the wild. The price is about what I expected (the S is MUCH lower) and the finance option is interesting...

Oh please...

We all know you will have 5 new Xbox consoles by next holiday, including one for your bathroom and kitchen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
d21lewis said:
Well, fuck.

Oh please...

We all know you will have 5 new Xbox consoles by next holiday, including one for your bathroom and kitchen.

😂 All it takes is one moment of weakness!

Around the Network

So it looks like an Xbox One All digital with an asteroid hole? Interesting

shikamaru317 said:
Ljink96 said:
This would be the perfect opportunity for Sony to drop by and drop a $399 price for PS5, and $299 for Digital. I wonder if they'll do it.

You do realize how much money they would lose at those prices, right? The bill of materials for PS5 is rumored to be in the upper $400's range, with Sony possibly still losing some money selling PS5 at $500 after the cost of shipping and the retailer cut is factored in. But for the purposes of illustration, let's say they break even selling at $500. That'd be a $100 loss per console selling the disc drive version at $400, say they sell 5m of them before costs start to go down, that is $500m lost. Digital PS5 meanwhile saves them about $20 on the disc-drive and maybe $10 on the SSD, so they'd be selling a $170 loss at $300, say they sell 20m at that price before costs start to go down, that is a $3.4b loss. Sure they can offset some of that loss with the increased profit margin on digital games and subscriptions, but that's still alot of money lost even then.

Far more likely we will get either $500 disc drive/$400 digital or $500 disc drive/$450 digital imo.

My comment is solely based off of how vicious Sony is regarding hardware pricing, sans PS3 of course. I think they want to undercut Xbox even if the losses will be great. Let's just wait and see what happens. I'm not an insider, just thought this would be interesting and if they'd consider doing that. Of course this all relies on how much of a loss Sony wants to take. But like Trunkswd said, a digital at $399 does seem more feasible if Sony wants to keep a $399 system on the market.

Ljink96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

My comment is solely based off of how vicious Sony is regarding hardware pricing, sans PS3 of course. I think they want to undercut Xbox even if the losses will be great. Let's just wait and see what happens. I'm not an insider, just thought this would be interesting and if they'd consider doing that. Of course this all relies on how much of a loss Sony wants to take. But like Trunkswd said, a digital at $399 does seem more feasible if Sony wants to keep a $399 system on the market.

Sony had other cash cows back in the day and wanted to promote their optical media with PlayStation. Very different situation.

Maaaybe the digital will be $399 if they're feeling specially generous, anything lower seems just unrealistic.

haxxiy said:
Ljink96 said:

Sony had other cash cows back in the day and wanted to promote their optical media with PlayStation. Very different situation.

Maaaybe the digital will be $399 if they're feeling specially generous, anything lower seems just unrealistic.

Well, even with the PS4 they undercut Microsoft. But I maintain that I feel Sony wants a 400 dollar system to remain on the market while PS4 Pro drops from $399. I think we're seeing Sony wanting to branch out into more homes, and I don't think more expensive is how you do that. They've been down that route before. $399 is that sweet spot for Sony and one way or another I think they're going to hit it. 

Ljink96 said:
haxxiy said:

Well, even with the PS4 they undercut Microsoft. But I maintain that I feel Sony wants a 400 dollar system to remain on the market while PS4 Pro drops from $399. I think we're seeing Sony wanting to branch out into more homes, and I don't think more expensive is how you do that. They've been down that route before. $399 is that sweet spot for Sony and one way or another I think they're going to hit it. 

You can't say Microsoft didn't make it easy by selling a console with a mobile CPU and a low end Radeon 7700 GPU for $499. It was less of an undercut than the Xbox division basically knocking themselves out of the game. After all, Sony themselves had aimed for budget hardware with the PS4.