By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top Five or Top Ten Video Games - NES

I thought I'd do a series of posts asking everybody to list their top ten games per system, since I haven't really seen that around these parts. I was thinking we'd do one thread per system and discuss our favorites.

Post your top five or top ten Nintendo Entertainment System games here. If you want, you can also say a few words about why the games you picked are your favorites.

Addendum: Would you be interested in an overall ranking of favorite games similar to how other top 5/10 lists are done on this site, where your top game gets ten points, second game gets 9 points, and so on?

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 01 September 2020

Around the Network

My top ten NES:

1. The Legend of Zelda - Nintendo
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nintendo
3. Metroid - Nintendo
4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Nintendo
5. Dragon Quest/Warrior III - Enix
6. Kid Icarus - Nintendo
7. Metal Gear - Konami
8. Bionic Commando - Capcom
9. Final Fantasy - Square
10. Ultima: Exodus - Origin/FCI

I started gaming during the 2600 era, and I had an Atari 8-bit computer at home which familiarized me with CRPG and strategy games and companies like Electronic Arts, but the NES really cemented my love of gaming. Zelda, in particular, captured my imagination. For art class in fourth game, I drew scenes from Zelda. When my teacher saw them, she told me her husband had gotten a NES and was hung up on Zelda. So I spent a lot of the remainder of the year sending maps of the dungeons home with my teacher. A lot of my friends at school were also playing Zelda, and that was what Nintendo had hoped for, was that people would share hints on Zelda with their friends.

Other honorable mentions: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Desert Commander, Castlevania, TMNT 2, Super Mario Bros 2, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Balloon Fight, Faxanadu, Legacy of the Wizard

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 01 September 2020

1. Mega Man 2 - Capcom
2. Mega Man 3 - Capcom
3. Mike Tysons Punch-Out!! - Nintendo
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nintendo
5. Ufouria: The Saga - Sunsoft
6. Mega Man - Capcom
7. Battletoads - Rare
8. Batman - Sunsoft
9. Castlevania 3 - Konami
10. DuckTales 2 - Capcom

Something like that.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Battletoads
3. Mega Man 2
4. Blaster Master
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. StarTropics
9. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
10. Final Fantasy

Special mention to: Contra, Metroid, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, Mega Man 3 to 6, Crystalis, Maniac Mansion, Kung Fu, Double Dragon III, Super Mario Bros. 2, Duck Tales, Little Nemo Dream Master, Bubble Bobble, Dragon Warrior, Faxanadu, Punch Out!!

Signature goes here!

1. Super Mario Bros 3.
2. The Legend of Zelda.
3. Mega Man 2
4. Final Fantasy
5. Castlevania 3
6. Mega Man 3
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Metroid
9. Ducktales
10. Dragon Quest II / Dragon Warrior II

Honorary: Contra, Castlevania 2, SMB 2, Kirby's adventure and Punch Out. 

Chosen on which I remember the most fondly/played the most, I dont know if maybe im a bit biased now judging on how some of these franchises turned out. 

Around the Network

I know I'm going to leave out a lot of good ones, but here's my best try:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Ultima (4): Quest of the Avatar
4. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
5. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
6. Metroid
7. Final Fantasy
8. Castlevania
9. Mega Man 2
10. Blaster Master

Unfortunately had to leave off a bunch of other great games: the other Marios, Castlevania 3, Duck Hunt, the Double Dragon games, Dragon Warrior, etc....

1/2. Super Mario Bros 3/Mega Man 2 (not going to choose and you can't make me)
3. Kirby's Adventure
4. Mega Man 3
5. Super Mario Bros 2SA

6. Super Mario Bros. 

7. Duck Hunt

8. Punch Out!

9. Kid Icarus

10. Mega Man

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 01 September 2020

1. Ghost N' Ghoblins
2. Mega Man 1
3. Mega Man 2
4. Mega Man 3
5. Mega Man 4
6. Mega Man 5
7. Mega Man 6
8. DuckTales
9. DuckTales 2
10. Ninja Gaiden

Wow, this is going to be tough for me...

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
3. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
4. Final Fantasy
5. Dragon Warrior
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. Contra
8. Tecmo Super Bowl
9. Blades of Steel
10. Nobunaga's Ambition

There are SO many games that could easily be on this list, and the numbering is mostly arbitrary.  I tried to mix it up with a representation of adventure, platform, RPG, run and gun, sports, and strategy titles while also staying true to what I poured the most hours into.

Honorable Mentions:  Super Mario Bros., Dragon Warrior 2-4, Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Double Dragon 1 & 2, Mega Man 1-6, Castelvania 1-3, Baseball Stars, Kung Fu, Jackal, Commando, Iron Tank, Batman, Faxanadu, Kid Icarus, Tetris, Ghosts n Goblins, Ultima 3-5, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting...

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 3

Kirby's Adventure

U-fouria the Saga

Castlevania