By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top Five or Top Ten Video Games - NES

The_Liquid_Laser said:
SanAndreasX said:

I thought I'd do a series of posts asking everybody to list their top ten games per system, since I haven't really seen that around these parts. I was thinking we'd do one thread per system and discuss our favorites.

Post your top five or top ten Nintendo Entertainment System games here. If you want, you can also say a few words about why the games you picked are your favorites.

Addendum: Would you be interested in an overall ranking of favorite games similar to how other top 5/10 lists are done on this site, where your top game gets ten points, second game gets 9 points, and so on?

I just noticed this addendum.  I think it would be nice to have a ranking on a per system basis.  For example compare only NES games to other NES games.  This might be a lot of work though.  Just stating my preference since you asked.

I wouldn't mind doing something like this:

1. 5 points

2. 5 points

3. 4 points

4. 4 points

5. 3 points

6. 3 points

7. 2 points

8. 2 points

9. 1 point

10. 1 point

This would make ranking a little bit easier since you wouldn't worry quite so much about snubbing a favorite game.  It would also keep certain games from being runaway successes and allow for more parity.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

My top ten NES:

1. The Legend of Zelda - Nintendo
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nintendo
3. Metroid - Nintendo
4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Nintendo
5. Dragon Quest/Warrior III - Enix
6. Kid Icarus - Nintendo
7. Metal Gear - Konami
8. Bionic Commando - Capcom
9. Final Fantasy - Square
10. Ultima: Exodus - Origin/FCI

I started gaming during the 2600 era, and I had an Atari 8-bit computer at home which familiarized me with CRPG and strategy games and companies like Electronic Arts, but the NES really cemented my love of gaming. Zelda, in particular, captured my imagination. For art class in fourth game, I drew scenes from Zelda. When my teacher saw them, she told me her husband had gotten a NES and was hung up on Zelda. So I spent a lot of the remainder of the year sending maps of the dungeons home with my teacher. A lot of my friends at school were also playing Zelda, and that was what Nintendo had hoped for, was that people would share hints on Zelda with their friends.

Other honorable mentions: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Desert Commander, Castlevania, TMNT 2, Super Mario Bros 2, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Balloon Fight, Faxanadu, Legacy of the Wizard

Nintendo's word of mouth, "help me beat Zelda" idea was great marketing. I can't imagine the number of people that bought that game simply because they overheard or were the 3rd party to a discussion of how to beat it.

Also, how well does Metal Gear hold up today? Is it as good as Contra or Bionic Commando? Been thinking of adding it to my NES collection.

Cerebralbore101 said:
SanAndreasX said:

My top ten NES:

1. The Legend of Zelda - Nintendo
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nintendo
3. Metroid - Nintendo
4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Nintendo
5. Dragon Quest/Warrior III - Enix
6. Kid Icarus - Nintendo
7. Metal Gear - Konami
8. Bionic Commando - Capcom
9. Final Fantasy - Square
10. Ultima: Exodus - Origin/FCI

I started gaming during the 2600 era, and I had an Atari 8-bit computer at home which familiarized me with CRPG and strategy games and companies like Electronic Arts, but the NES really cemented my love of gaming. Zelda, in particular, captured my imagination. For art class in fourth game, I drew scenes from Zelda. When my teacher saw them, she told me her husband had gotten a NES and was hung up on Zelda. So I spent a lot of the remainder of the year sending maps of the dungeons home with my teacher. A lot of my friends at school were also playing Zelda, and that was what Nintendo had hoped for, was that people would share hints on Zelda with their friends.

Other honorable mentions: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Desert Commander, Castlevania, TMNT 2, Super Mario Bros 2, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Balloon Fight, Faxanadu, Legacy of the Wizard

Nintendo's word of mouth, "help me beat Zelda" idea was great marketing. I can't imagine the number of people that bought that game simply because they overheard or were the 3rd party to a discussion of how to beat it.

Also, how well does Metal Gear hold up today? Is it as good as Contra or Bionic Commando? Been thinking of adding it to my NES collection.

It's been decades since I've played Metal Gear, but the thing that impacted me most when I first played it was the surprise twist.  However, I don't think this would be much of a twist for anyone who is a fan of the series today.