By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you see the success in your life being due to your hard work and talent or luck?

People in Power see the World as a fundamentally fair place 

Any view on this? 

Around the Network

you make your own luck

Its a combination of three things.

30% Hard work, 60% right work, and 10% luck. The luck part depends on what you believe, you can call it luck or you an call it faith or God, but there are times when being at the right place at the right time makes all the difference.

Certainly luck is a thing. But, essentially nobody lucks into success. They work their way into positions to take advantage of lucky breaks.

I consider myself pretty successful. I have busted my ass for 21 years to build a small business. I was lucky to have been raised in a wealthy part of the US (my family was dead broke, but I am in an area where there are people with money to buy what I'm selling). Simply being in the right place wouldn't have been enough. But, my work building a business was certainly aided by being in the right place.

Isn't being a smart or hard working person also just luck of being born that way?

So yeah, it's all just luck, but what are you going to do about it? Should feel bad that I had some luck in my life while others didn't?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Pleasing old rich ladies and fat chicks has been the key to my success. Talent.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

How about: "If you are naturally smart, are a hard worker, or have the temperament to make yourself work hard, then you are lucky".

What is more important is to enjoy what you have. If a miserable poor person wins the lottery, they just become a miserable rich person. You'd be surprised at how much your character and outlook impacts you.

As for the rest. Life isn't fair... and most people are fully aware of that. That's why a janitor in a hospital saves more lives than the doctor, but earns 0.00001% of [insert celebrity you don't like].

I haven't watched the video, I will answer based on my own perception

30% hard work
10% talent
60% luck

I don't think I'm particularly intelligent or talented, I'm pretty average tbh, maybe more curious and likely to study by myself than really more intelligent

As my parents didn't have money to bank my college I've worked hard to get in a moderately prestigious public university. Contrary to USA, in Brazil the most famous and applied colleges are public, student body there are historically from middle and upper middle class students (it has changed this decade though) and I surely worked hard in my undergraduation too as I was much inferior compared to my classmates, for instance, I was the only one who didn't know english

But other than that, I feel like I was very luck. I'm inclined too a very hot and growing market, and I discovered what I like to do pretty fast. I wasn't rich, but I really never had to work to eat like some of my classmates, I've never needed to skip meals and always had healthy insurance which was life savior (Dad is public officer, and Ministery of Education paid my healthcare when I was college student)

I always had a supportive family, I've never lack any essential material goods, nor lack of emotional support. College friends were warm and welcoming, we still very close friends actually and I know I can count of them

I wasn't born with any physical or mental disability, or emotional disorder, I was overall a healthy child. Even in the loneliness of my high school years I found comfort making friends on internet who prevent me to get depressed on insane. Sure I have some self esteem problems and developed anorexic tendencies, but I'm recovering pretty fast I think I'm not permanently damaged

Overall I feel like my work paid off, I have a stable job in a nice company, I feel competent and growing and I still not meet any big material or financial issue. So yeah, pretty luck

kirby007 said:
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.