By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I find that (passive) cutscenes have nothing to with the interactivity of a videogame.

Do you agree with my statement?

Yes 11 34.38%

No 21 65.63%

Total:32

Don't play the Yakuza games then, I always try to follow the story but they can become a drag.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Anonymous1796 said:

When I skip all the cutscenes in a videogame, and I don't enjoy the videogame. Then in my view it is not a good videogame.

The medium has evolved a lot since the term videogame was coined, so people shouldn't get too hung up on the term. Interactive entertainment may be a better description.

Some games are basically all story (some visual novels primarily). There are a lot of different experiences and takeaways from playing a game today, depending on the game. And I can say that I enjoyed my time with it even if I only liked the story and music, but not the gameplay.
But since the gameplay is usually a big part of the appeal, that's probably usually not the case.

Just my take: I don't consider the lone VN I've read ( Psycho Pass ) to be a game, as much as a choose your own adventure book in digital form. Really, even some of the choose your own adventure books I read as kid were more "game-like", with dice rolls incorporated into the experience. Pyscho Pass DID have a mini-game you could play, but it was entirely separate from the novel. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Very reductive way to view gaming as a whole, but whatever, to each their own.
Personally I enjoy them as I very much enjoy story driven games like TLOU or Uncharted, I enjoy them for their gameplay and I enjoy them for their story. The cutscenes are a good way to develop events, characters and push the story. I mean, I find this topic to be a bit weird tbh, cutscenes are normalized nowadays, as a whole modern games use them a lot in almost every genre and thats perfectly fine.

If gameplay is at least not bad, if it is average, or servicable, but the cutscenes are outstanding, it could be an outstanding game to me. If gameplay is bad on the other hand, there can hardly be redemption. (Could be possible, but hardly.)

But OP seems open for discussion, if a cutscene is even part of a game. And there sure is an argument to made that it is not. It literaly cuts the game to present a scene. If it is not played, it is not a game.
But this is not true in my opinion. To me, a game is the whole package. A cutscene in a game is sure part of the game. You are not buying a game and a movie, but just a game. It does not have to be interactove 100 % of the time to be 100 % game.

Story telling is a major part of games.
Cutscenes can add to a game, so no I disagree.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 August 2020

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
I actually really enjoy cutscene heavy games, I tend to enjoy the story of a game more than its gameplay, which probably puts me in the minority, but oh well lol

^ this, I veiw both as almost equally important.

I actually think its worse to play a game with good gameplay, but horribly uninteresting story.
Than the other way around. A game with bad gameplay, if the story is fantastic, you can muddle your way through.
(its harder to do it the otherway around)

I also tend to dislike games without much story in them (there are exceptions though).
To me atleast, videogames are about story telling. Its you, playing a part in a story.

Anonymous1796 said:

Good (old) video about it:

When I (can hopefully) skip all the cutscenes in a videogame, and I don't enjoy the videogame. Then in my view it is not a good videogame.

The word videogame has two parts. Video and game. You're focused on a single part of the word, and dismissing what the other part can bring. It's not for everyone, but so is any other kind of game out there.

Couldn't fully watch the video. But I checked his channel videos enough to know the guy loves to hear himself talk too much and is full of himself, and the comment section below it is a typical echo-chamber.

Last edited by Hynad - on 27 August 2020

When this is posted on "Sony Discussion", by an user that doesn't seem to be a Sony fan, uses a video to target TLOU (that is by no means a bad game) I have a feeling this wasn't supposed to be a health discussion.

OP could be "why I don't like Sony exclusives" and it would basically be the same thing, well that and also that he didn't put much effort on the OP nor did participate after posting even 18h later.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 27 August 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

By this logic, we should all watch movies without soundtracks, or any audio for that matter, as they have nothing to do with the movie part? If I want to listen to a song, I can just turn on the radio!

I am sorry, but OP presents such a wobbly argument to this long-time debated, and pointless topic, that in all honesty, I feel like we necrobumped a thread from Gamespot circa 2004...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I feel like we're in a good place right now regarding the length of cutscenes in games. I do remember some games taking it too far (like Metal Gear Solid 4 for example) but The Last of Us (I and II) are "just right" in regards to the mix of gameplay vs cutscenes.

Signature goes here!