By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I find that (passive) cutscenes have nothing to with the interactivity of a videogame.

Do you agree with my statement?

Yes 11 34.38%

No 21 65.63%

Total:32

Good (old) video about it:

When I (can hopefully) skip all the cutscenes in a videogame, and I don't enjoy the videogame. Then in my view it is not a good videogame.

Last edited by Anonymous1796 - on 26 August 2020

Around the Network

I find opinions like these to be very shallow.

Don't get me wrong, it's a legitimate take on the state of things, but to say it's bad or not good is what I find shallow.

There have always been cutscenes in games. Albeit back in the 8bit/16bit era they were basically flashcards with some rolling text, and eventually, that grew into full-on dialogue flash cards. And they have always mostly done the same thing that they do today; give you some context as to why you are doing anything you are doing in the game. Some games do it more than others and some do it better than others.

They are there to make you know more and in turn, hopefully, care more about the character you are playing or the world you are playing in. If that's not for you, then maybe games like demon's souls, bloodborne will be right up your alley. But it's integral to the makeup of some other games. Imagine MGS without any cutscenes at all, it would be nothing more than the VR missions expansion it got back then. Great gameplay, but ultimately soulless. Hell, even the games I mentioned that would be more to your liking also have cutscenes, though minimally.

But the last thing you said is bang on though, and that has nothing to do with the cutscenes. If a game has bad gameplay then it's a bad game, at least for you. You can have games with great stories but crappy gameplay. I say and emphasize "for you" because I personally believe anyone's interpretation of what they believe is a good or bad game (gameplay-wise) is purely subjective. This is why to me the concept of game (or even movie) reviews is extremely silly. Especially when you hear things like generic gameplay (which is to mean that they have gameplay mechanics that are in a lot of other games).

Well, that is all well and good, but only if you are talking to someone that has played as many of those particular kinda games as yourself. What if you are talking to someone that is playing a game like that for the first time? How can that be generic to him/her?

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 26 August 2020

^ doesn't suprise me one bit you need to badmouth his opinion.
I fully agree with OP unfortunately that isn't the mainstream vision shared with critics and solo players.
If i want to enjoy a movie i go to the theater

EDIT showing TLoU isn't the best example because the gameplay is decent

Last edited by kirby007 - on 26 August 2020

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

^ doesn't suprise me one bit you need to badmouth his opinion.
I fully agree with OP unfortunately that isn't the mainstream vision shared with critics and solo players.
If i want to enjoy a movie i go to the theater

EDIT showing TLoU isn't the best example because the gameplay is decent

Badmouth the OPs opinion? Thats what you took from it? lol...

I don't know what I have done to you lol.

If you read all I said then you would see I was not bad-mouthing his opinion. I actually also agree with him. I just don't agree with generalizations when it comes to things that are subjective. There are people you will ask that will tell you the best game ever made is bloodborne, here are those that will tell you its Fifa and can't even stand bloodborne.

Hence why I find generalizations 9or even reviews) shallow. Look at my post history, I have never on this site in all the years I have posted ever said anything about any game being bad. Because I try and respect that everyone likes what they like for whatever reason. If those reasons don't apply to you, then it doesn't make the game bad, it just makes it bad to "you".

Take me for instance, I can't for the life of me get what people like about games like pokemon, fifa, nba2k, madden, the elder scrolls series...etc. But you will never find me saying they are bad games.

But that sentiment, of if wanting to enjoy a movie you will go to the theatre is the kinda stuff I find shallow. That's your preference, and you have a right to that. But its shallow to call games that focus on stories and use non-interactive mediums to push said stories as "bad games". If a game is a bad game, then it would be because it has bad or boring "gameplay" mechanics.

Well, I'll say that I play games for the gameplay, not the cutscenes. I don't really like games that have tons of breaks in the action for mini movies. But, I feel like most cut scenes are fine. I wouldn't mind if they mostly went away, but I do sometimes find some value in them.

Around the Network

Isn't a cutscene just a played out text box? Do you have something against text in games too?

Feels like your problem isn't with cutscenes but with bad storytelling and pacing.

Last edited by vivster - on 26 August 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Cut scenes usually add something to the story. Imagine God of War on PS4 without cutscenes. The story wouldn't have the same impact. Relations between characters are mostly build via cutscenes. Also cutscenes are great to introduce bosses.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I like cutscenes.

Though obviously they should be so long that it gets boring. I never skip cutscenes.

But eh I enjoy cut-scenes when done right. As long is it doesn't intrude too much on the gameplay or break up too much of the action its fine. If you skip a story focused game cut-scene then you're missing out essential parts of the story, and clearly not invested in that part of it. In that case you're probably better off playing something else. I don't really replay games, though the ones I do have a good story (and most have cutscenes) to go with it.

If you play something from like Platinum Games which have trash stories then yeah maybe I could agree with you because the gameplay makes up for it.

Not much to work with in the OP, but whatever.

Going all the way back to Mrs. Pac-Man, they've usually been something I've enjoyed. Old games like Karateka on C64, or NES games like Golgo 13, Ninja Gaiden....They were more of a rare occurrence back then, and as such, more special. Didn't even have to be a cut-scene. Megaman 2 for example had a cool "cinematic" intro and ending. And of course, there are levels to the practice. The frequency of cut-scenes, the length of cut-scenes, and the more subjective matter of quality. As mentioned above by @Quark, God of War is a game that is a beneficiary of great cinematics, that do nothing but complement the game as a whole. The conversations between characters during "down time", whether it be in the hub, rowing in the boat, or with the dwarves, only buoy the strong characterizations and narrative. All this conveyed with top-shelf voice acting and visuals. To strip all of that away and be left with some type of shallow, arcade boss-rush gauntlet? No thanks. I'm grateful to have the experience as it is.

I'll even drop Hotline Miami into the mix. It's about as pure of a gameplay experience as one could conceive of, but benefits from the backdrop of the dark, bizarre world the game takes place in.

I'm glad my tastes are eclectic. Trials Fusion. Worms....But games like Legacy Of Kain:Soul Reaver, Yakuza....They've given me so much beyond the onscreen manipulation of the characters. Intrigue, sadness, humor. I have doubt I'd care about the medium as much as I do if it hadn't evolved to incorporate elements that go beyond pure gameplay.

More power to you though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."