By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any Tips for Witcher 3 beginners?

Weapons and armor break?  It's not that I mind, but I find it fascinating that this is the first I'm hearing about it.  I swear every single Breath of the Wild thread has people complaining about the weapons breaking.  I think people just love to hate on Nintendo.

Anyway, I plan to get to this game eventually.  This is my way of tagging for later.

Around the Network

I also wanted to ask if it is best to try to be the "good" guy, or the best possible guy. Like would I be missing out on a bunch of money because I turn it down? So far its been hard to come by. I'm only level 2 after like 5ish hours. Still trying to get the hang of it.
Also, what is the max level?

1doesnotsimply

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Weapons and armor break?  It's not that I mind, but I find it fascinating that this is the first I'm hearing about it.  I swear every single Breath of the Wild thread has people complaining about the weapons breaking.  I think people just love to hate on Nintendo.

Anyway, I plan to get to this game eventually.  This is my way of tagging for later.

I played for about 4-5 hours before my first sword broke. I'm sure I went through 20-30 weapons by that time in BOTW. So, it's really not the same.

Play on Death March difficulty.

i’m about 105 hours into the game and have the original campaign and hearts of stone under my belt, and i’m finally understanding most of the mechanics within the game.

on your initial playthrough i wouldn’t worry too much about making use of everything at your disposal. just go with what you feel works for you, and gradually everything else will come to you.

i highly recommend focusing on the main story starting out. main story missions tend to give a lot of experience, and if you ever want to go back and do more side missions you can make it rewarding by turning level-scaling on.

just continue to move forward, and the game will make more and more sense.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Yes, all weapons and armor degrade and break over time (breaking just means that you lose all stat benefits from them as I recall, you don't lose them permanently if they break, they can still be repaired). You can find blacksmiths in many of the small towns and cities in the game that can repair your weapons and armor for a nominal fee, and they also sell repair kits which you can carry around in your inventory and use to repair your equipment in the middle of quests and such.

Combat wise, I personally recommend investing quite heavily into Quen and Igni. Quen is invaluable in witcher games, it is a spell that protects you from damage, and at the higher levels you can actually use it to absorb enemy damage and convert it into health to heal Geralt. Igni does great damage when fully specced, when I played I basically turned Geralt into a human flamethrower. Or if you find melting enemies with Igni boring, which some do, you can just invest in quen and then go down the combat tree from there, focusing on either light or heavy sword attacks. 

A fair argument, and you'll ultimately get all the signs at a decent level - but I would substitute Igni for Axii. It gives you greater dialogue options, sometimes better quest rewards, and at higher levels you literally turn enemies on each other.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I played for about 4-5 hours before my first sword broke. I'm sure I went through 20-30 weapons by that time in BOTW. So, it's really not the same.

Ok, that makes sense.  The real complaint is how fast they break in Zelda.  

shit scales badly after level 30 quit before that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

shikamaru317 said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
I also wanted to ask if it is best to try to be the "good" guy, or the best possible guy. Like would I be missing out on a bunch of money because I turn it down? So far its been hard to come by. I'm only level 2 after like 5ish hours. Still trying to get the hang of it.
Also, what is the max level?

I played good guy Geralt and was swimming in cash by late game, as long as you do alot of the question marks on the map as you go and sell all the unneeded loot that you collect at those places to merchants regularly, money shouldn't be an issue. There are actually very few things that you need to spend money on in Witcher 3, food items for healing occasionally, blacksmith blueprints every now and then, any Gwent card you come across. The blueprints for the best armor sets in the game, the Witcher sets, are found piece by piece at various question mark locations, once you get a full set of those blueprints for the set that you want (there are 4 sets in the base game, and 1 more in each DLC expansion), you don't need to buy blacksmith blueprints anymore since they are all weaker than the Witcher sets.

I believe Witcher 3 has no hard level cap, but if you over-level quests by too much, the experience you get for doing them drastically decreases, so you want to always prioritize quests that are slightly below your level or right at your level, instead of trying to do ones that are above your level, because if you do the ones above your level first and then go back and do the lower level ones later, the XP rewards will be much lower. If you do all main game and DLC quests at the proper levels to maximize XP rewards, you will likely hit about level 60. There is however a cap on the number of ability points you can earn, I believe that cap is 70 in the base game, raised to 100 in new game+. You get 1 ability point per level, plus there are certain areas on the map which award bonus ability points, so you can hit the ability point cap without doing every quest in the game and DLC. 

I'm around 15-20 hours in and I cannot put it down. Damn it's so good. There are still just a couple things I'd like to ask:
Are story missions missable? I have been going back and forth between doing the red barron family story mission and the keira metz mission, but I'm worried if I go to far in one I won't be able to complete the other. 

Also, I wanna be able to do the Gwent missions, but I cannot even seem to win anybody's unique cards... I feel like no matter how many times I try I can't seem to win. I've been buying them as I come across them from merchants, but my deck still seems to suck compared to everybody else.

Thanks again for all your help! I'm glad I stuck with this game.

1doesnotsimply

I played on Normal and didn't find it hard, but really boring. I don't know what people see in it, I had much more fun with the trashy Arcania.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.