By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any Tips for Witcher 3 beginners?

FarleyMcFirefly said:
shikamaru317 said:

I played good guy Geralt and was swimming in cash by late game, as long as you do alot of the question marks on the map as you go and sell all the unneeded loot that you collect at those places to merchants regularly, money shouldn't be an issue. There are actually very few things that you need to spend money on in Witcher 3, food items for healing occasionally, blacksmith blueprints every now and then, any Gwent card you come across. The blueprints for the best armor sets in the game, the Witcher sets, are found piece by piece at various question mark locations, once you get a full set of those blueprints for the set that you want (there are 4 sets in the base game, and 1 more in each DLC expansion), you don't need to buy blacksmith blueprints anymore since they are all weaker than the Witcher sets.

I believe Witcher 3 has no hard level cap, but if you over-level quests by too much, the experience you get for doing them drastically decreases, so you want to always prioritize quests that are slightly below your level or right at your level, instead of trying to do ones that are above your level, because if you do the ones above your level first and then go back and do the lower level ones later, the XP rewards will be much lower. If you do all main game and DLC quests at the proper levels to maximize XP rewards, you will likely hit about level 60. There is however a cap on the number of ability points you can earn, I believe that cap is 70 in the base game, raised to 100 in new game+. You get 1 ability point per level, plus there are certain areas on the map which award bonus ability points, so you can hit the ability point cap without doing every quest in the game and DLC. 

I'm around 15-20 hours in and I cannot put it down. Damn it's so good. There are still just a couple things I'd like to ask:
Are story missions missable? I have been going back and forth between doing the red barron family story mission and the keira metz mission, but I'm worried if I go to far in one I won't be able to complete the other. 

Also, I wanna be able to do the Gwent missions, but I cannot even seem to win anybody's unique cards... I feel like no matter how many times I try I can't seem to win. I've been buying them as I come across them from merchants, but my deck still seems to suck compared to everybody else.

Thanks again for all your help! I'm glad I stuck with this game.

Gwent ain't that hard. Just make sure you never go above the minimum card limit for your deck, that way, you don't decrease your chances of getting your best cards. As shika said, don't use weather cards either. Just your best units, decoys, and one or two leader horns or whatever they're called. Use the decoys on any spies that your opponent plays against you. And know when to throw a round. If you can get your opponents to overcommit in the first or second round, to the point that you can come out with a card advantage in the back end, use that to your advantage.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
I played on Normal and didn't find it hard, but really boring. I don't know what people see in it, I had much more fun with the trashy Arcania.

Yeah I don't know if it's the games that are changing or my tastes but even more action-based RPGs (which I've typically prefered over turn-based) aren't doing much for me these days. They feel like chores. Unless we're talking something like Borderlands which really stresses action and limits cutscenes and chatting which slow down the pacing of the gameplay.

Thought at least Witcher 3 would be interesting as I typically like dark fantasy themes and deep lore, but so far I feel "meh" about it. I do like some of the lore, and Gwent is pretty fun I guess. But hell I might as well just read the books/watch the TV series since that's the case - & just play the Gwent mobile game. 

I'll probably give it a couple more hours or so at least. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Yes. Skip all side missions in Skellige andfocus on the main missions. Fuck that place.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
Yes. Skip all side missions in Skellige andfocus on the main missions. Fuck that place.

Don't do this, the side quests there are excellent. What you WILL want to avoid there, is going to all the question marks. The vast majority of them, specifically all the ones on the water, are almost exclusively hidden treasure. Not really worth pursuing them unless you're for some reason really struggling for cash, which you shouldn't be.

Last edited by Angelus - on 10 September 2020

Angelus said:
hatmoza said:

Don't do this, the side quests there are excellent. What you WILL want to avoid there, is going to all the question marks. The vast majority of them, specifically all the ones on the water, are almost exclusively hidden treasure. Not really worth pursuing them unless you're for some reason really struggling for cash, which you shouldn't be.

70 hours in, and only the last 5 hours or so have been in Skellige. Thank you for this advice, because I would have totally wasted a ton of time trying to get all of the hidden treasures.  I am doing all side missions even if I'm way overpowered because I love the little bits of story you get. 

I cannot put this game down. So happy it is on Switch. I'm far from done but I feel confident in saying it will make my top 50 (though I may not complete it in time for the top 50 list this year :P). 

Breath of the Wild's weapon durability could definitely use this game as a template for the sequel. I haven't had an issue with weapon upkeep at all.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

Interesting for an almost granted future purchase of mine. Tagged.
About weapons wearing out: I first met them in a game in Throne of Darkness, and despite the initial skepticism, I quickly learnt to manage them with little or no problems at all (although in that game it helped having two or three unique ingredients that allowed me to have at least an unbreakable sword and an unbreakable piece of armour, so even after long, harsh and crowded battles that could leave all my warriors with worn out weapons and armours, I still had the option of the escape with at least some defence to cover it, and in long journeys I could use the warrior with the unbreakable sword to despatch the weakest random enemies along the way leaving the rest of the team at its full efficiency for the hardest battles. With Morrowind it's even easier, as I always carry with me a more than sufficient supply of hammers to repair everything on the go, without having to look for the closest town or village with a blacksmith, I also mainly use a ring with a large number of weak fireballs to kill the weakest enemies at a distance without wearing out my weapons and armour. I still have to start The Witcher I, but I guess I'll find a suitable management of this issue in this series too).
About sidequests, there's a reason I still have to finish MW GotYE: I try to do them all (and when I have to do a major PC upgrade and so I must reinstall it, or I stop playing it for a while for other reasons, for example during holidays, I always lose the thread of allthe stuff and quests pending, and it takes me an awful lot of time to play it again at full pace).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I thought I would continue to give my thoughts on this game as I complete it.

I think I'm in the final act of the main story. Holy smokes I've been getting goosebumps it is so good. A major character just died... I actually got watery eyed. I am curious though. Would another character have died if I did not do the Keira Metz sidequests? I am so glad that I prevented it if he could have. 95 ish hours in. Level 29. Just had to save and stop at the funeral right now... I can't handle more at the moment lol. It is very rare for a game to stir up this much emotion in me. So much heart in this game. There was a scene where I couldn't stop laughing too. I cannot wait to see where it ends up on my top 50 when I've finished the expansions and have had time to digest it properly... But it is up there for sure.

Again, so happy to have this on Switch! Well worth the full price (and then some) despite being 5 years old.

1doesnotsimply

Take your time with the game and the world. It's not an experience to be rushed and the combat will feel like second nature within no time. Also, get the whirl ability as soon as possible and don't get greedy in combat.