By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - People's Convention 2020

I just saw, that on August 30th there is a conference called "People's Convention", that wants to build a movement for People's Party.

https://peoplesconvention.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgE0T0jpTDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1jcK7AFvA

Here is their description for this event:

For far too long we have watched both corporate-funded political parties pillage and devastate our country, our communities, and our families.

Now it is time for us to ask: What kind of world do we want to build from the ashes of this pandemic and economic depression?

One week after the Democratic and Republican national conventions, people from all walks of life will come together to discuss the state of the nation and plans to form a major new political party in America. A party free of corporate money and influence. A people’s party.

Join us on Sunday, August 30, from 4-6 pm Eastern Time for The People’s Convention.

The Convention will be digital and broadcast live to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter pages with millions of subscribers and followers. Sign up for more information and updates.

Some speakers are:

• Dr. Cornel West
  • Nina Turner
  • Marianne Williamson
  • Mike Gravel

What do you think?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I support this. This will take way more voters away from Democrats than Republicans, which will hopefully keep the conservatives in charge of the Senate to approve more justices that support a baby's right to breath and live.

Not a Trump fan, btw, but I do want Republicans in charge of the Senate (the Dems can keep the House for all I care).

Dulfite said:
I support this. This will take way more voters away from Democrats than Republicans, which will hopefully keep the conservatives in charge of the Senate to approve more justices that support a baby's right to breath and live.

Not a Trump fan, btw, but I do want Republicans in charge of the Senate (the Dems can keep the House for all I care).

This will do nothing this cycle, as they aim for a founding in 2021. How it will affect later cycles is yet to be seen. It might though affect agendas of the other parties if done properly.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 August 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Wrong timing. Before you can have more parties in the US you first need reforms to establish democracy. Before that additional left leaning parties will only hurt their own cause. If they are going through with it that means they're either morons, just want money or both. Neither of those things are good qualities for a political party.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Dulfite said:

Babies having a right to breathe and live is pretty uncontroversial. Now, the state mandating that a person has to use their body to support the growth of a fetus... that's a whole different question. 

Around the Network

More options more relation to what individuals seek for. I hope one day people will stop voting for the people they don’t want just to stop the people they also don’t want.

snyps said:
More options more relation to what individuals seek for. I hope one day people will stop voting for the people they don’t want just to stop the people they also don’t want.

That's never, ever going to happen in a winner-takes all, first past the posts political system where the losing parties in any given constituency are completely unrepresented. Those two things are why the United States political system is a two-party system. A system where every single government office represents a bloc of people who in some cases have absolutely no meaningful common ground beyond the fact that they happen to maintain a domicile in the same arbitrarily-defined piece of geography cannot support more than two parties. In a lot of areas the system can't even support two parties and the people spend decades under one-party rule. That's the one thing people don't seem to understand about the United States, including a lot of people who live in the United States. Its political system isn't a multiparty Westminster parliamentary system. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 22 August 2020

snyps said:

That's nicely said. As SanAndreasX said, there are risks in a winner takes all system, but I think why should people adjust their voting, just to adapt to a bad voting system. It is possible to change to a majority system (like in France) or a ranked choice voting system (like in Australia).

But the most important thing for such a new party: It can apply pressure to other parties to change their policies. Especially under a winner takes it all system the other partieshave to be on the lookout, who might take away votes for them and adapt their policies to not lose these votes. That can be an enourmous use for a new party.

There is also another point to think through. Which two parties reigned has changed over time. It is quite possible, that after Trump the Republicans are in trouble. Which could help to let a new party emerge.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 22 August 2020

“People’s”. Sounds like communism.

S.Peelman said:
“People’s”. Sounds like communism.

Corporations convention and movement for a powerful party sounds so much better.