By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 9 to 15

On the prospect of a 30m year for NS that would put it at 80m if that were to happen and still leave one quarter left in the FY as well.

Around the Network

What’s also funny is that Switch now sold more in 8 and a half months than WiiU did lifetime.

S.Peelman said:

What’s also funny is that Switch now sold more in 8 and a half months than WiiU did lifetime.

That's sad more than funny. Loved that little bigger to death

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

PAOerfulone said:
If the Switch sells exactly the same amount as it did in the last 4.5 months of 2019, it’ll sell 26 million in 2020.

I kind of think 26m is the floor for 2020 Switch sales at this point.  I know that 2019 Switch had a lot going on for it during the last few months (Lite model + Pokeom and other games), but 2020 Switch has a ton of momentum behind it.  Even now that the COVID boost is over, Switch is still selling strong.

There should be at the very minimum one more year after this for the switch. At this rate it will definetly pass the 110m Mark. If the switch 2 comes out in 2022 then around 130m is probably. Would sell more lifetime than the ps4.

X1...... Not gona pass 50m it seems.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
PAOerfulone said:
If the Switch sells exactly the same amount as it did in the last 4.5 months of 2019, it’ll sell 26 million in 2020.

I kind of think 26m is the floor for 2020 Switch sales at this point.  I know that 2019 Switch had a lot going on for it during the last few months (Lite model + Pokeom and other games), but 2020 Switch has a ton of momentum behind it.  Even now that the COVID boost is over, Switch is still selling strong.

I think supply more than anything will dictate their holiday sales. The system's been stock constrained most of the year, they may not be able to meet the demands of the holiday rush.

eva01beserk said:
There should be at the very minimum one more year after this for the switch. At this rate it will definetly pass the 110m Mark. If the switch 2 comes out in 2022 then around 130m is probably. Would sell more lifetime than the ps4.

2022 is too early for a generation refresh. Unless switch suddenly tanks which is very unlikely, 2023 is the bare minimum. I personally believe we will have a pro model next year and next gen switch in 2024 spring. It worked well for the switch, why wait for the holidays.

Eagle367 said:
eva01beserk said:

2022 is too early for a generation refresh. Unless switch suddenly tanks which is very unlikely, 2023 is the bare minimum. I personally believe we will have a pro model next year and next gen switch in 2024 spring. It worked well for the switch, why wait for the holidays.

If they release by 2022 its gona be 6 years. The longest a Nintendo home console has lasted. Not the longest a handheld has lasted by one year. The ds lasted 7 years but that sold like crazy and Nintendo obiously dint want to drop that.

And it wont be up to Nintendo. The switch barely gets any third party suport. By the time the ps4/x1 get droped none of the 9th gen games are gona be ported to the current switch. A pro is not gona help this time as devs won't want to exclude the base wich holds the most installbase. Nintendo will have no choice if they want to keep some third party support to release no later than 2022. If they think their first party can hold them then they will try to to prolong it as they do have a big installbase. 

I'm honestly with you. If they streach it a bit longer we can have a way more capable switch 2 wich is what I want. A 1440p portable with a 1080p to 4k dlss docked and rt. Would be nice. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Eagle367 said:

If they release by 2022 its gona be 6 years. The longest a Nintendo home console has lasted. Not the longest a handheld has lasted by one year. The ds lasted 7 years but that sold like crazy and Nintendo obiously dint want to drop that.

And it wont be up to Nintendo. The switch barely gets any third party suport. By the time the ps4/x1 get droped none of the 9th gen games are gona be ported to the current switch. A pro is not gona help this time as devs won't want to exclude the base wich holds the most installbase. Nintendo will have no choice if they want to keep some third party support to release no later than 2022. If they think their first party can hold them then they will try to to prolong it as they do have a big installbase. 

I'm honestly with you. If they streach it a bit longer we can have a way more capable switch 2 wich is what I want. A 1440p portable with a 1080p to 4k dlss docked and rt. Would be nice. 

Have you... not heard of the NES or Gameboy? Also 2022 - 2017 = 5 years. Close to six maybe if its in the holidays, but still unrealistically early.

Nintendo themselves have said they're aiming for a longer lifespan than they normally do. 3rd party support isn't what makes the Switch sell in the first place, so its not a deciding factor for the lifespan. And on top of that there's no reason to believe 3rd party support will be completely none existent either. Nintendo handhelds have always had some 3rd party support despite (obviously) being much weaker than the home consoles available at the time.

• Add to Phrasebook
    • No word lists for English -> English...
    • Create a new word list...
  • Copy

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

eva01beserk said:
Eagle367 said:

What the guy above me said. That's why I said 2023 at the very least.