By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Let's Talk about Fable.

JRPGfan said:
Dulfite said:
Pardon my ignorance, lifelong Nintendo fan here who is heavily considering buying Series X. Is Fable similar to Zelda but in more of a sarcastic way?

fable 3 gameplay:

Srex117 said:

Its nowhere near Zelda. Zelda is exploration game while Fable is straight forward game with little exploration. It is almost like saying that Gears of War and Mass Effect are similar games just because both games are played from third person and they both have guns

Its basically move  from A-> B -> C, and your guided the whole way, judgeing from the video above.
But this is a older game, perphaps a newer fable would be more modern in its take, and not hold your hand, and direct you so much.

Well, you can still go wherever you feel like to and accept sidequests and so on.

It is not A --> B --> C if you don't want it to be.
You can say that about every OpenWorld game ever created anyway.

Have you played the Fable games?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

To me Fable was always about the role playing experience inside a fantastical world. So long as I can buy a house of my choosing, renovate it as I see fit, and can marry any NPC I choose I’ll be happy

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:
How much experiance does Playgrounds have makeing RPGs?
This is gonna be a 1st for basically everyone on the team right?

A few of the lead and senior devs have previous RPG experience. Quest designer worked on Borderlands 2 and 3, which are RPG shooters. The Lead Environment Artist previously worked at Ubisoft on The Division 1 and 2, both of which are RPG shooters. The principle environment artist previously worked at Bioware on Mass Effect. The lead animator previously worked at Dambuster on the upcoming Dead Island 2, and Dead Island is an action RPG. The lead technical artist previously worked at Ubisoft on The Division 1 and 2. The Lead UI designer previously worked at Bungie on Destiny 2 and Guerilla on Horizon Zero Dawn. They also have several former Lionhead devs in non-senior positions, as well as others non senior devs with RPG experience.

That actually doesnt sound so bad.

JRPGfan said:
How much experiance does Playgrounds have makeing RPGs?
This is gonna be a 1st for basically everyone on the team right?

Different studios with different talents. Not unlike Monolith has a different studio that works on Mario Kart.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

JRPGfan said:
Dulfite said:
Pardon my ignorance, lifelong Nintendo fan here who is heavily considering buying Series X. Is Fable similar to Zelda but in more of a sarcastic way?

fable 3 gameplay:

Srex117 said:

Its nowhere near Zelda. Zelda is exploration game while Fable is straight forward game with little exploration. It is almost like saying that Gears of War and Mass Effect are similar games just because both games are played from third person and they both have guns

Its basically move  from A-> B -> C, and your guided the whole way, judgeing from the video above.
But this is a older game, perphaps a newer fable would be more modern in its take, and not hold your hand, and direct you so much.

Basically Fable has smaller "maps/sandboxes" which you can explore in order to collect chests, keys, gargoyles and so forth, each sandbox has set defined paths out of the area.
It does guide you along a progression path to push the story narrative.

Fable 2 did open things up significantly over Fable 1.

It's not open world by any means, but it's not a linear corridor either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'm really curious on what they will be able to make with it. Should be a fine game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'm not sure I share everyones' optimism. The track record (especially with Microsoft) of new teams with absolutely no connection to the actual team that developed the original games does not exactly inspire optimism. Microsoft basically put a team together to create fantasy game, and they're calling it Fable because of brand recognition. Part of the appeal of the series was because of Lionhead Studios' unique perspective and game design philosophy. 

No Peter Molyneux or any of the people from Bullfrog and the breakaway team (Lionhead Studios) which is who made Fable. It would be like Sony buying the Final Fantasy franchise and putting their own internal team together to make the next entry.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by aiwass - on 30 August 2020

*My signature from 2011 which I'm too lazy to change*

Currently awaiting the arrivals of:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Resident Evil: Revelations
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Beyond the Labyrinth
Heroes of Ruin
Luigi's Mansion 2

Fable was actually the game that got me to buy an original Xbox. While it never really hit my expectations (I blame peter) it was still a great game. The fable games kinda got worse with each iteration, but not enough that I would say any of them are bad. Still, a new studio and a fresh start is the best thing that could happen to this series. Color me cautiously optimistic about this one!

Srex117 said:
Dulfite said:

Its nowhere near Zelda. Zelda is exploration game while Fable is straight forward game with little exploration. 

Is this what we're expecting from the new one though?  

I never touched 3, but the previous fables allowed retraversal of any explored area. Everywhere you went was tunneled as you were always in path with lots of forks and hidden places. I really hope they do make this one open world. Even if they don’t I mainly care that they put the same level of attention in the careful placement of items and storied environments. In fable 2 there were some great locations to stumble onto and that was my favorite part of the game. Well that and the leveling up process was excellent! I’m glad to see the game coming back.

I think Microsoft has a good track record of reviving games. Killer Instinct pleased it’s fans. A game like Fable likely attracted quality devs that enjoyed the series. Only thing I’m worried about is the release date.