Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Let's Talk about Fable.

I'm really curious on what they will be able to make with it. Should be a fine game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

I'm not sure I share everyones' optimism. The track record (especially with Microsoft) of new teams with absolutely no connection to the actual team that developed the original games does not exactly inspire optimism. Microsoft basically put a team together to create fantasy game, and they're calling it Fable because of brand recognition. Part of the appeal of the series was because of Lionhead Studios' unique perspective and game design philosophy. 

No Peter Molyneux or any of the people from Bullfrog and the breakaway team (Lionhead Studios) which is who made Fable. It would be like Sony buying the Final Fantasy franchise and putting their own internal team together to make the next entry.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by aiwass - on 30 August 2020

*My signature from 2011 which I'm too lazy to change*

Currently awaiting the arrivals of:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Resident Evil: Revelations
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Beyond the Labyrinth
Heroes of Ruin
Luigi's Mansion 2

Fable was actually the game that got me to buy an original Xbox. While it never really hit my expectations (I blame peter) it was still a great game. The fable games kinda got worse with each iteration, but not enough that I would say any of them are bad. Still, a new studio and a fresh start is the best thing that could happen to this series. Color me cautiously optimistic about this one!

Srex117 said:
Dulfite said:
Pardon my ignorance, lifelong Nintendo fan here who is heavily considering buying Series X. Is Fable similar to Zelda but in more of a sarcastic way?

Its nowhere near Zelda. Zelda is exploration game while Fable is straight forward game with little exploration. 

Is this what we're expecting from the new one though?  

aiwass said:

I'm not sure I share everyones' optimism. The track record (especially with Microsoft) of new teams with absolutely no connection to the actual team that developed the original games does not exactly inspire optimism. Microsoft basically put a team together to create fantasy game, and they're calling it Fable because of brand recognition. Part of the appeal of the series was because of Lionhead Studios' unique perspective and game design philosophy. 

No Peter Molyneux or any of the people from Bullfrog and the breakaway team (Lionhead Studios) which is who made Fable. It would be like Sony buying the Final Fantasy franchise and putting their own internal team together to make the next entry.

I mean, there aren't many Lionhead veterans that they even could hire. Molyneux's name has been dragged through the mud too much by his kickstarter failures to hire him. Dene Carter founded his own studio since then, while his brother Simon got a job with one of the top AI companies in London since then. Mark Webley and Gary Carr co-founded Two Point Studios since then, who made Two Point Hospital. The Fable 2 writer does the Middle Earth: Shadow of Series now. The Fable 3 writer got a job at Ubisoft on Assassin's Creed and The Division. The Fable 3 director got a job at 2K games as a Senior Vice President, The Executive producer of 2 and 3 is now a Chief Operating Officer at her own studio. The list goes on an on, most of the Veterans from Lionhead moved on since then.

That being said, Playground did hire a few former Lionhead devs, they just were in Junior and Intermediate positions at Lionhead rather than Senior or Lead positions. They have also hired more top devs from other studios than jut those listed in the OP. For instance the Principle Lighting Artist and Principle Technical Designer both worked at Rockstar on RDR2. 

I'm not too worried about it personally. They nailed the Fable humor in the teaser trailer which is a promising sign for sure. 

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Srex117 said:

Its nowhere near Zelda. Zelda is exploration game while Fable is straight forward game with little exploration. 

Is this what we're expecting from the new one though?  

Pretty sure some of the job listings for this new one indicated it would be an open world game this time. 

I never touched 3, but the previous fables allowed retraversal of any explored area. Everywhere you went was tunneled as you were always in path with lots of forks and hidden places. I really hope they do make this one open world. Even if they don’t I mainly care that they put the same level of attention in the careful placement of items and storied environments. In fable 2 there were some great locations to stumble onto and that was my favorite part of the game. Well that and the leveling up process was excellent! I’m glad to see the game coming back.

I think Microsoft has a good track record of reviving games. Killer Instinct pleased it’s fans. A game like Fable likely attracted quality devs that enjoyed the series. Only thing I’m worried about is the release date.

aiwass said:

Lets be honest, do we really want ex Lionhead staff to make another Fable?

Fable 3

Fable Journey 

Fable Legends 

This franchise needs a new injection of blood, much like what the old Rare games need. Just look at how Killer Instinct 2013 turned out. Hire those who are more passionate about making the game rather than continue using the same staff that are over it.

If its like 1 and 2, I'm in. If its like 3, I'll play for a few hours of it and move on

I have a good feeling about this one though.. without Molyneux at the helm. The series kinda needed reboot/revival. I'd love if they pulled off a God of War sequel/re-imagining, would be amazing if we got something like that from Fable.

Fable 4 is the game that will make me get an XSX. Will probably wait till we have a solid release date though, or buy them together.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261