By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Eshop Europe top 15 has stopped including discounted games

So apparently I'm a month late to finding this out and I don't know if its something other people will find interesting, but european Switch owners can see the top 15 most downloaded titles on the eshop at the end of each month as a news item and back in May NBA 2K20 topped that list after being 95 % discounted and apparently the very next month a few extra words were added to the bottom of the these articles.

It used to simply say "The rankings are based on the number of Nintendo eShop downloads in European territories during the whole month.", but in June and now July it instead states:

"This list is based on sales data from the European Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch. It includes all paid purchases of games made on Nintendo eShop or via the Nintendo website, excluding purchases made during discount periods, Game Voucher redemptions and free downloads."

I actually noticed this due to a discrepancy between the July top 15 on the Switch and the July top 30 on european Nintendo websites like Nintendo UK (which also covers all of Europe and apparently still includes discounted games):

Top 15 July excluding discounts:

1. Paper Mario: The Origami King
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. Minecraft
4. Minecraft Dungeons
5. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
7. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
8. Stardew Valley
9. Cuphead
10. Crysis Remastered
11. Pokemon Sword
12. SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom – Rehydrated
13. Super Mario Party
14. Carrion
15. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Top 30 including discounts: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Official-UK-Store/Nintendo-eShop/Charts/Nintendo-eShop-charts-1396788.html

Notable differences between the two with for example Stardew Valley, Pokémon Sword, Spongebob and Carrion all being in the top 15 excluding discounts, but nowhere to be seen in the top 30 including them.

Mostly I just find it pretty funny that this was clearly caused by NBA 2K20 taking the top spot with a 95 % discount, which somebody somewhere probably felt was a little unfair, but since it is sort of interesting to be able to see which games are selling best at their full price, I don't really mind the change. Any thoughts?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

This is really interesting. It gives a better view of what games people are buying because they really want them as opposed to if they are on sale. Of course the two ways of thinking can collide but it's still cool to see.

This is really cruel with indie games, they use discount to break top 15 and get some visibility

As said above, this goes against visibility sales campaigns. Of course, games will still get on the discount charts, so it’s not game over.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I like it. So many shitty games getting top spots when discounted to a few cents. Give attention to the great games people are buying instead.