By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

twintail said:
The store front has rules all developers must abide by. Epic doesn't just become some exception.

dont you think not having a different storefront to offer your game on is a bad practice? whether or not epic broke the store rules

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Of course. Still, a lot of kids won't know how or be allowed to install 3rd party stuff.

I think you are underestimating kids or overestimating how complicated it is to get to other stores/download .apks from other sources on android - it's pretty simple

"This may be harmful to your device" is enough to scare the crap out of a lot of parents.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

DonFerrari said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Apple only has 30% of that money, Epic has the other 70%.

A real crime right? Just like when I work, the government only have 40% of what I make the other 60% is mine, why should I complain?

And Apple is the one banning the game not Epic.

What's a fair split between Apple and Epic in your opinion?

Apple removed it because it broke their ToS. They haven't banned anything. Maybe Epic doing a subscription instead will circumvent the rules like Netflix do. Maybe that's what Epic is trying to do while making it look like Apple and Google are the bad guys.

Pyro as Bill said:
Lafiel said:

I think you are underestimating kids or overestimating how complicated it is to get to other stores/download .apks from other sources on android - it's pretty simple

"This maybe harmful to your device" is enough to scare the crap out of a lot of parents.

did you ever read a ToS?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Pyro as Bill said:
DonFerrari said:

A real crime right? Just like when I work, the government only have 40% of what I make the other 60% is mine, why should I complain?

And Apple is the one banning the game not Epic.

Apple removed it because it broke their ToS. They haven't banned anything. Maybe Epic doing a subscription instead will circumvent the rules like Netflix do. Maybe that's what Epic is trying to do while making it look like Apple and Google are the bad guys.

They charge based on downloads of the SW either a percentage, a fixed price (perhaps based on the size) or a mix of percentage plus minimum price. But that is it, the store helped the game being presented (and apple doesn`t really do it. Quite different than a store where an employee go there and explain to you and convince you to buy something), but recurrent revenue for the store isn`t anyway fair. Do any brick and mortar store get a cut from the mtx and dlcs you buy afterwards for the games you purchased there? Nope, and they have a much harder profit margin to meet than Apple.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
twintail said:
kirby007 said:

dont you think not having a different storefront to offer your game on is a bad practice? whether or not epic broke the store rules

How is it bad practice? No store front is under obligation to allow your content if I violates said stores rules.

Unless under misinterpreted your question.

true but its a bad practice if there is no alternative within the shopping mall to setup your own store

shikamaru317 said:

I must say Epic is playing this whole thing smart, at least in the long term. The game being removed from the Google and Apple store may actually work in their favor long term, now all the teens and young adults who are angry about being locked out of the game, and the parents of kids who are whining their parents heads off because they are locked out of the game, will flood social media, running a free smear campaign against Google and Apple for Epic. It might be enough to get Google and Apple to lower the percentage on their cut or make other policy changes just to avoid the negative publicity from the social media smear campaign, without this thing ever going to court. Of course, it could also blow up in Epic's face totally, Google and Apple might not back down to the social media mob, and Epic will lose out on months worth of Fortnite mobile revenue and lose their court case as well and have to pay the legal fees.

I doubt there will be much pressure on Google for their decision. As people already said in this thread, removing Fortnite from the google playstore is of no consequence to android users if the servers are still working (I'm not sure why iOs devices that have the app installed can't connect anymore though). The first youtube tutorials on how to get the .apk will be out within the hour (maybe they already are) and I expect every 12 year old to be able to look that up or have a friend/a friend of a friend that does.

twintail said:
kirby007 said:

true but its a bad practice if there is no alternative within the shopping mall to setup your own store

Perhaps so. I believe it might be possible on Android? 

Don't get me wrong. I think 30% is a lot of money and options are always good. But I'm not going to side with a billion dollar company over a money issue.

If they didn't like the terms they shouldn't have released an iOS version of the game in the first place.

but they dont sue for money??? they sue for being forced to use apple storefront ( and if you aint on the IOS platform you miss out on a "free" part of the market )

DonFerrari said:
Pyro as Bill said:

They charge based on downloads of the SW either a percentage, a fixed price (perhaps based on the size) or a mix of percentage plus minimum price. But that is it, the store helped the game being presented (and apple doesn`t really do it. Quite different than a store where an employee go there and explain to you and convince you to buy something), but recurrent revenue for the store isn`t anyway fair. Do any brick and mortar store get a cut from the mtx and dlcs you buy afterwards for the games you purchased there? Nope, and they have a much harder profit margin to meet than Apple.

Google and Apple said it was 30%. Epic decided it was 0%.

Would you blame a b+m store if they refused to stock a free game?

Pyro as Bill said:
DonFerrari said:

Google and Apple said it was 30%. Epic decided it was 0%.

Would you blame a b+m store if they refused to stock a free game?

bad reasoning, there are plenty of free apps in the store