By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

Just to review the case and put everything in perspective.

1. Fortnite is updated with a direct payment method, this is a violation of the agreement Apple and Google.
2. Because of the violation of the agreement, Fortnite its taken out of both app stores.
3. Epic sues apple and google citing antitrust regulation. (The standard practice is to charge 30%)
4. Epic publishes a video mocking Apple.
5. 3 day later Apple issues a warning that if they don’t update the game they are going cancel Epic developer program, unless they update to comply with the agreed terms. (Apple didn’t shut down the game, so the updates that went through still violate the term)
6. Epic files an injunction, arguing that this could destroy them.

If you don’t take into consideration the opinion of the companies involved and the economic consequences this implies.

One company is in violation of the agreed term that is why the product was withdrawn of the store. Because you have other products and you are still on violation of the agreed terms, you have 14 days to comply with the term or the business relationship its going to be terminated. You have the option to comply with the terms. If you as a company don’t agree with the terms you can do business in another store. If another third party is affected because you are not following the agreed terms, its in direct consequences of your action not the terms. If the provider has a risk of affecting their business its because of your own actions.

If Epic its trying to change the industry and reshape the industry a new way, they can try to do it they are in their right. Meanwhile they have to comply with the agreed terms. They are trying to sway public opinion as if the don’t have any options, but the solution its in their hands and if they get their license revoked it will be their own doing. It doesn’t matter if the terms are unfair.

Around the Network

point 5 is false tho, its not if they dont they will cancel it, its done anyway

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DonFerrari said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Tagged and waiting for developments of this feud. Wondering if @Tachikoma still develops using UE, she could be pissed off like a wasp.   

Is she still around? I miss she continuing her thread on how to make games.

Sadly no, she did everything she could to ensure her permaban was really permanent, and she erased almost all her posts and threads too, including the ones about programming. 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

rcolinas said:
1. Fortnite is updated with a direct payment method, this is a violation of the agreement Apple and Google.

To expand upon this, Epic also hid that they would add the direct payment functionality with the update from Apple's review process, I also presume they did this with Google. Which is another violation of the TOS.

kirby007 said:
point 5 is false tho, its not if they dont they will cancel it, its done anyway

You are wrong. Apple gave Epic until 28th August to comply. This is spelled out in the document for Epic's request for an injunction.

I have a doubt surrounding the marketplace of apple and specifically fortnite.
If epic wins the case, this means Apple open system and allow other stores to be installed on IOS. If I compare Apple store to the in game store of Fortnite arguing the same points of Epic, Epic has the monopoly of the fortnite store, they have their agreements with third party companies that sell goods in the store (NFL, DISNEY, DC) maybe they hire designers for specific designs that are not employed by Epic, on a percentage of sales or a fixed amount of money. I’m sure that a lot of people want to sell skins, designs in their game store as cosmetics because its a business opportunity but Epic doesn’t allow it.
If the store was open to other designers it will be good for the customer because of the competition. My doubt goes that if Apple loses the case, the fallout of this could make other stores like fortnite open for other providers, even if the marketplace they are selling has an owner and rules?

Around the Network
rcolinas said:
I have a doubt surrounding the marketplace of apple and specifically fortnite.
If epic wins the case, this means Apple open system and allow other stores to be installed on IOS. If I compare Apple store to the in game store of Fortnite arguing the same points of Epic, Epic has the monopoly of the fortnite store, they have their agreements with third party companies that sell goods in the store (NFL, DISNEY, DC) maybe they hire designers for specific designs that are not employed by Epic, on a percentage of sales or a fixed amount of money. I’m sure that a lot of people want to sell skins, designs in their game store as cosmetics because its a business opportunity but Epic doesn’t allow it.
If the store was open to other designers it will be good for the customer because of the competition. My doubt goes that if Apple loses the case, the fallout of this could make other stores like fortnite open for other providers, even if the marketplace they are selling has an owner and rules?

Would be a good outcome that people are able to sell their designed stuff on the fortnite store.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Apple fires back in court, says Epic Games CEO asked for special treatment

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/21/apple-says-epic-games-ceo-wanted-a-side-deal-for-fortnite.html?__source=twitter

"Sweeney said earlier this month that Epic is not seeking a “special deal” with Apple that other iOS app makers don’t get. 

But in Friday’s filing, Apple disputed that point.

“On June 30, 2020, Epic’s CEO Tim Sweeney wrote my colleagues and me an email asking for a ‘side letter’ from Apple that would create a special deal for only Epic that would fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple’s iOS platform,” former Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller wrote in a declaration. Schiller, whose title is now Fellow, runs Apple’s App Store. 

Apple said Sweeney was asking permission for Epic to bypass in-app purchases and allow Fortnite players to pay it directly. Schiller said that Sweeney emailed him the morning that Forntite changed its payment mechanism saying that it “will no longer adhere to Apple’s payment processing restrictions.” 

Epic has asked for a temporary restraining order that would place Fortnite back on the App Store. A hearing on that order is scheduled for Monday in the Northern District of California.

“In the wake of its own voluntary actions, Epic now seeks emergency relief. But the ‘emergency’ is entirely of Epic’s own making,” Apple’s lawyers said in the filing. "

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 21 August 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/21/apple-says-epic-games-ceo-wanted-a-side-deal-for-fortnite.html?__source=twitter

I won't be long till Apple fires back a counter, especially for Epic trying to literally rally it's audience against Apple and defaming them (parody logos/slogans)

I dunno why people think Epic could win this, the amount that's piling up, combined with the childish antics of a corp and CEO is just making things look dire for EG.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Lmao...

I was saying this in the other thread when this shit just started and people were making apple out to be some sort of devil.

I wonder if they still think Epic is a saint.

Captain_Yuri said:

"Sweeney said earlier this month that Epic is not seeking a “special deal” with Apple that other iOS app makers don’t get. 

But in Friday’s filing, Apple disputed that point.

“On June 30, 2020, Epic’s CEO Tim Sweeney wrote my colleagues and me an email asking for a ‘side letter’ from Apple that would create a special deal for only Epic that would fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple’s iOS platform,” former Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller wrote in a declaration. Schiller, whose title is now Fellow, runs Apple’s App Store. 

Apple said Sweeney was asking permission for Epic to bypass in-app purchases and allow Fortnite players to pay it directly. Schiller said that Sweeney emailed him the morning that Forntite changed its payment mechanism saying that it “will no longer adhere to Apple’s payment processing restrictions.” 

Epic has asked for a temporary restraining order that would place Fortnite back on the App Store. A hearing on that order is scheduled for Monday in the Northern District of California.

“In the wake of its own voluntary actions, Epic now seeks emergency relief. But the ‘emergency’ is entirely of Epic’s own making,” Apple’s lawyers said in the filing. "

Epic is the real culprit here. Hence why the fortnite video against Apple was released so quick. They had it all prepared. But they didn't expect to be also kicked out by Google. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3