By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Here's a list of things i didn't like in botw/want them to improve in botw 2

Just get rid of breakable weapons, crafting and make less but bigger dungeons

Around the Network

About the only thing I'd like them to "fix" in BOTW2 is add more enemy variety and have the main dungeons and their bosses thematically different.

I hope they keep things like breakable weapons, shrines, the core combat, etc. In particular, I'd rather have 4 main "dungeons" and lots of smaller shrines because the bite-sized nature of the latter made the gameplay more digestible and satisfying in shorter bursts.

And as others have said, the warm tunic from the opening plateau will absolutely NOT protect you from the colder regions of the game.

As someone who has BOTW in their top 2 games of all time, I agree with most things in this list, but combat for me is the highlight of the game. How you approach combat is up to you and for some, encounters can be minutes or seconds. A great combat system imo is one that doesn't only have one way to play it. I think that description fits BOTW very well. In regards to weapons that break, I will always want this to be a part of the experience. If I'm playing an adventure game, I want the game to be against me. I don't want to pick up the best weapon and always have it because that takes away a lot of the fun imo.

I think a better way to approach this would be to have a blacksmith that can repair your favorite weapons for a price and maybe you have to provide some materials as well. The story is I think the weakest part of Breath of the Wild. I found myself rolling my eyes so hard during the cut scenes. They try to make you care about the Champions but I couldn't really have cared less. I didn't like how the story was told and for that reason it didn't really give me any drive to want to defeat Calamity Ganon.

Dungeons also were weak. With the exception of Hyrule Castle, the divine beasts were just dull. I hope in BOTW2 they keep the open world but make unexpected dungeons. They don't have to be eyesores that say "HEY I'M A DUNGEON AND THERE'S 5 MORE OF THESE LIKE ME". I'd like to see the open world incorporate caves, as well. Nintendo definitely has nowhere to go but up for the sequel. I just hope they capitalize on their missteps.

I largely agree with the OP. The only thing I'll note is that yes, the combat is simple, because that's what Zelda combat is expected to be. So, I don't know that I want that changed significantly.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 09 August 2020

There's some crazy awesome stuff you can do in combat in BOTW:

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I love this stuff! This is what I mean when I say the game asks you how you want to play. You can look like a complete badass if you can really manipulate the physics and AI to your liking. Really neat. 

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, the issue isn't that the combat system is too simple or shallow, it's that the game allows you to win by just doing the very basic stuff. And I don't mean I want Zelda to require you to be this good at combat in the future, just... I wanted more enemies that challenged me in different ways and made me think outside the box more.

I found that enemies like the Crusher Lynels and large mobs forced me to adopt different approaches as I couldn't just use the basic dodge and flurry rush tactics without either the former kicking my arse or the latter blindsiding me. That's where a lot of these more advanced tactics come in handy.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 August 2020

Thought the game was fantastic as is.

But would like for the story to involve more of the game world... Such an inviting dynamic weather system and environment and the story doesn't rely on that heavily enough.

Would also like a big uptick in visual fidelity, despite the amazing art direction, it wasn't able to cover up some of the low-resolution texturing, but that is likely due to the Wii-U centric development of the first game, so I expect some enhancements for the second game even if reusing the same engine.
In short, I should get my "want" either way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--