By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are Nintendo games selling better than they ever on the Switch?

What do you guys think?

Around the Network

Attractive Hardware, that’s literally it!

edit: to be more clear, hybrid model that just works for everyone casual/hardcore gamers alike.

Everyone wants games that they can play their way and NSW is just that minus the extra pretty graphics

tbone51 said:

Attractive Hardware, that’s literally it!

edit: to be more clear, hybrid model that just works for everyone casual/hardcore gamers alike.

Everyone wants games that they can play their way and NSW is just that minus the extra pretty graphics

It's not just that. I mean, the Switch being a great hardware is a big factor, but it's not the only one.

Great marketing, one that understands it's public and it's effective with it's messaging.

While not exactly a concenssus, most Nintendo IPs are getting it's best reviewed entries, or the best one in decades, on the Switch.

Dammed demand of Nintendo games. Wii U was a failure and many wouldn't want to touch it even with a 10 m stick, and the Wii didn't exactly satiate the demand for more "hardcore" games from Nintendo(The nostalgia of games from the NES, Super Nintendo, 64 and Gamecube to some extend)

And the momentum created by that first year. I think people keep underestimating the avalanche that was BOTW + MK 8 + Splatoon + Mario Rabbids + Mario Odyssey + XC 2, and the smaller Nintendo games and indies.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Part of it is just super popular hardware that will outsell every home Nintendo home system ever made. Handheld systems normally have a low software attach rate compared to home systems, probably cuz lots of people treat handhelds just as secondary systems to play on vacation or occasionally on the go. I know that's how we treated Game Boy growing up, would basically get a new game or two for summer before a family vacation. Switch, though it is actually a portable, due to its hybrid nature is considered a home system so has high software attach rates. Combine this with the fact that it will end up being the best selling Nintendo home system ever, and since it is about to pass the NES, only the Wii sold better so far, but the Wii had tons of systems sold to casual gamers who didn't pick up the big Nintendo IPs, instead they played Wii Sports, Just Dance, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart which is why those games had monster sales while Galaxy, Zelda, Smash, etc didn't have Switch-like numbers.

And part of it is the fact that with Nintendo has been completely hitting it out of the park with their new games. Sure they have a lot of ports, and obviously Mario Kart is a much loved port, but BotW, Odyssey, Smash, AC all have been accepted extremely well, which creates fantastic word of mouth for people to go pick up other Nintendo games as well.

When you add home console attach rates, the fact that Switch is about to already be the second best selling home system from Nintendo ever, Switch targeting gamers not non-gamers like the Wii, fantastic word of mouth about Nintendo games, and absolutely stellar versions of the numerous main Nintendo IP, you get mega sales.

Basically Nintendo is THE hot company in gaming since the Switch came out and they are pumping out incredible first party games on the fastest selling system of all time outside of the DS and Wii.

There are a variety of reasons. A lot pertaining to the hardware selling extremely well and the games being among the best (if not the best) of their respective series.
Though there are some debatable exceptions like Kirby Star Allies, Pokemon, Yoshi's Crafted World, etc., they have all sold respectively well anyway since they're still good games.

Around the Network

The Nintendo fanbase is older and the Switch is appealling to adults.

The majority of Nintendo's fans are 18+ now, even something like Pokemon which is supposed to be a "kids IP" ... I would venture a bet that the majority of people buying the franchise these days are 16-30+ years old, not 6-14 years old.

Time is not a static property. A person who was 8 years old and got a DS for Christmas 2008 and became a Nintendo fan is today 20 years old, that's happened over and over and over again that now the adults outnumber the kids.

Older people tend to have their own jobs and their own disposable income, they don't need to wait for mommy/daddy to buy them a game or system for their birthday/Christmas. An older fanbase simply buys more games and has more disposable income. 

I think a big factor that people seem to forget is social media. It is way easier to promote your games now and the effect of word of mouth is stronger and faster too. Usually people bought only what they knew, Mario mainly (on Nintendo systems i mean). But i feel like people are now more than ever aware of exclusives, we can only see that with the PS4 compared to exclusives sales on PS3.

Also, having only 1 console, games are most of the time more polish and ambitious, thus far giving better reviews which lands the marketing better and makes the point above stronger. But like everyone said, Switch is a hot item that consumers love, so they like putting money on it.

I would like to add that 1 system instead of 2, i personnally find myself willing to buy/have more time to play games i wouldn't normally play instead of having 2 mario karts, 2 mario 2D games, etc..

Soundwave said:

The Nintendo fanbase is older and the Switch is appealling to adults.

The majority of Nintendo's fans are 18+ now, even something like Pokemon which is supposed to be a "kids IP" ... I would venture a bet that the majority of people buying the franchise these days are 16-30+ years old, not 6-14 years old.

Time is not a static property. A person who was 8 years old and got a DS for Christmas 2008 and became a Nintendo fan is today 20 years old, that's happened over and over and over again that now the adults outnumber the kids.

Older people tend to have their own jobs and their own disposable income, they don't need to wait for mommy/daddy to buy them a game or system for their birthday/Christmas. An older fanbase simply buys more games and has more disposable income. 

Still, do not understimate the "begging" power of those who belong to 6-14 year old demographic. They can also ask their Mom and Dad to buy them a Switch because of Pokemon, Mario, and AC. So if you combine these numbers with your "adult" numbers, you have a stratospheric sales for these games.

Broader appeal of their IPs. Nintendo games can be enjoyed from 6 years old kids to 60 years old adults.

Why do you think Disney live action movies were making bucks in box office? Not only kids were attending, but people who were kids when the movies were originally released

The lasting appeal of Nintendo franchises made people loyal or at least sympathetic with Nintendo's games. This trust wasn't really disturbed until today, the result is that you have three different generations of consumers who played Mario Kart before (SNES/64, GC/Wii and now Wii U/Switch) buying Mario Kart 8

The exceptions are the ones who either have their older consumers "trust" degraded with time (like Pokemon) or just failed to connect with newer audiences, surviving from nostalgic people only (maybe Super Mario Bros U deluxe?)

let see...
best selling zelda game
best selling animal crossing game
best selling 3d mario game
second best selling mario kart (insane since it is only a port)
second best selling kirby game
Pokemon still on third but might... might end up as second best selling pokemon game
best selling splatoon (they only have 2)
best selling super smash game
best selling luigi mansion game

damn... switch IS killing it :)