By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The console war is over

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

I see Phil’s comment saying “the console sales will work themselves out” lol. Otherwise I firmly believe anyone with a gaming PC chances are has no Xbox or has little incentive to buy Xbox. It’s MS making customers of people that are best case indifferent, and worse case “haters”. 

Also Phil’s comment about locking isn’t technically wrong, as their policy is to expand Xbox games across different platforms. Still have to have games that entice people to come. Enter moneyhats.

Going the lenght... is the console sales important or not to MS? From Phil statements for me they don't care or focus on that anymore (probably because they can't claim a win on it and stopped giving numbers since the "nearing 10M sales") and are looking on how to expand GP and make XCloud the future. So I'm not saying Phil was lying on this, but that people that say that isn't what he mean are the ones on the wrong.

And about PC releases impacting sales of Xbox consoles well you are going to disprove Major Nelson himself, and possibly his intel on this is better than yours.

But don't try to defend the two standards of Phil Spencer on locking people out due to generation or device then later paying for exclusives, he have been complaining about paid exclusive ever since he had a hard time doing it after Tomb Raider because of the disparity on userbase, but he never stopped doing it for real. He is just the "good guy" to promote himself and cry over competition.

sales2099 said:

Hey, launch for launch, say what you will how Halo Infinite looks. It has a lot more going on then PS5s launch flagship Spiderman MM. One is the most ambitious campaign world created, the other is a generous DLC expansion of the 2018 game. Like Metro: Sams Journey DLC to compare. One will have a massively popular multiplayer, the other is SP only. Spiderman or not it’s locked to one platform, as is Halo where it counts (consoles) but available elsewhere. 

As someone who didn’t like how Halo 5s campaign turned out, I am happy that they nailed the art, music, gunplay, and story. Do I care about its look? Sure. But it sure as hell ain’t a deal breaker, not even close. 

Since when is a standalone spin-off meant to be flagship? Even more, Spiderman was a first release by Insomniac and the company was recently bought, plus the spin-off is coming not that long after the release of the previous one. Trying to compare it with Halo Infinite is trying to favour Xbox the most, and still Miles Morales still looks better than Halo and Sony didn't need to tout it as being built ground up to PS5 or that they have the strongest system ever... guess which company needed to "listen closely" after backlash from fanbase?

"The most ambitious campaign", seem like you took straight from MS playbook, a lot of hype and then where is the game to show it?

And we haven't seem the people that have been attacking Goopy for the last couple months saying Halo Infinite would look next-gen and not be held up at all by the Xbox One version right?

I'm pretty sure that before this event people were expecting Halo Infinite to be a showcase of the power of Xbox Series X, it is the main title of Xbox since it inception.

Yeah, I understand I've come off as a bit of a Xbox hater in the last few months. But the only reason I've been going on a rant is because I don't want Series X to fail. I don't hate MS or GP, in fact I've said plenty of times that GP is awesome. My only problem with it is that its a double edged sword. Sure, it is the best deal in gaming but it comes at the expense of robbing Xbox fans of that next gen thrill.

If you look at the polls about 85% are now looking to buy a ps5. Which is exactly what I predicted would happen when you have 1 console going for a complete reset, while the other is being the mother Teresa of gaming.

Ps5 is giving of those vibes of next gen excitement and Series X has failed miserably to tap into that magic. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

I don't think they can do both. I'm sure Series X will have plenty of great games and Halo will probably be one of them. But at the start of a new console generation, that simply isn't enough. MS needs to create a desire for their new console by showing us what those 12Tflops and SSD can do. But twice in a row now, MS has shown us that their all-inclusive strategy gets in the way of that.

Just read this quote again...

"The fact that there will be no fully exclusive Series X games takes away one of the big motivating factors behind buying the console. It has also sparked a conversation around whether first-party studios will feel able to make the most of the new machine if they need to keep the old one in mind when developing their games. Microsoft feels strongly that it won't be an issue, but even if it is, in the minds of Spencer and his team, that small negative is more than offset by the benefits of being available across platforms.

Game Pass subscribers, which now total more than 10 million customers. If Microsoft turns around to those 10 million people and says that they have to buy an expensive new box in-order to access the next set of big Xbox games, that might result in decent console sales, but will likely hurt its subscriber base. That isn't an acceptable outcome to the company."

GP is great but if you could choose right now between playing 2-year-old, current gen games and a bunch of Indie titles. Or... play Halo Infinite, specifically designed for Series X with jaw dropping visuals that we conceive to be impossible on current gen consoles. What would you pick?

Hey, launch for launch, say what you will how Halo Infinite looks. It has a lot more going on then PS5s launch flagship Spiderman MM. One is the most ambitious campaign world created, the other is a generous DLC expansion of the 2018 game. Like Metro: Sams Journey DLC to compare. One will have a massively popular multiplayer, the other is SP only. Spiderman or not it’s locked to one platform, as is Halo where it counts (consoles) but available elsewhere. 

As someone who didn’t like how Halo 5s campaign turned out, I am happy that they nailed the art, music, gunplay, and story. Do I care about its look? Sure. But it sure as hell ain’t a deal breaker, not even close. 

Spiderman MM is not really a flagship, everybody knows it will not be a full sized title. It's just an additional draw. If you want to compare flagships, the new Horizon is it. And the inevitable God Of War 2, and other sequels and new IPs from highly regarded Sony studios.

Leynos said:
Alara317 said:
So, it's saying that Microsoft would be better off going third party? That's certainly the vibe I got from the article.

Yup. Saying this is him saying. We don't know why we made a console. You don't need to buy it. Reminds me when Nintendo said Gamecube had no competition. We're not competing but made a console to compete anyway was the jib they gave in 2001. Seeing it again with MS.

Without a gaming rig, how are those of us who want games and don't want a PS or Ninty do? 

They are giving people like me an option. 

derpysquirtle64 said:
sales2099 said:

I see Phil’s comment saying “the console sales will work themselves out” lol. Otherwise I firmly believe anyone with a gaming PC chances are has no Xbox or has little incentive to buy Xbox. It’s MS making customers of people that are best case indifferent, and worse case “haters”. 

Also Phil’s comment about locking isn’t technically wrong, as their policy is to expand Xbox games across different platforms. Still have to have games that entice people to come. Enter moneyhats.

I would disagree that selling games on Steam is making customers. It's just making a quick and easy buck on the side. And that's it. Has nothing to do with making customers. Because, at least from my point of view, the customers are the people who are locked in to your offerings long-term. Those people who pay you the money for every game you sell. So, you can't really compare the engagement in Xbox ecosystem of the guy who just bought a game on Steam with someone who owns an Xbox. Yet, your post implies that they are equal to MS. I think that you don't need to be a businessman to understand that selling consoles (which means locking someone to your ecosystem) is way more preferable for MS than to just sell games on Steam. The second problem with that is something that is really hard for me to understand but it is just how things are for some reason, but MS decision to bring games to PC is seen as a huge negative in gaming community. I personally think that just by doing this, MS heavily limits their potential userbase, just because gaming community is dumb enough to see it as a negative thing which is always brought up when Xbox discussion takes place.

If you buy games on a platform when you could have bought the same game on console or Windows Store, but didn’t, that’s successfully entering a new market. Making a Xbox account to play is literally gaining a new customer. 

Imo someone who buys SoT, MCC or Grounded on Steam is the same as someone who buys a console and only plays a few games themselves. So long as content is constant, people will keep coming back. Those Xbox accounts will continue to be used. Like Grounded now being #1 at the moment. 

It’s all just options. You can play Xbox however you like. In the end we all making Xbox accounts and vice MS a cut for every purchase. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dante9 said:
sales2099 said:

Spiderman MM is not really a flagship, everybody knows it will not be a full sized title. It's just an additional draw. If you want to compare flagships, the new Horizon is it. And the inevitable God Of War 2, and other sequels and new IPs from highly regarded Sony studios.

Unless you tell me Gow2 and HZD2 are launch titles day 1, I think you see the point I was making. Is there a bigger day 1 title then Spiderman MM? 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Dante9 said:

Unless you tell me Gow2 and HZD2 are launch titles day 1, I think you see the point I was making. Is there a bigger day 1 title then Spiderman MM? 

Doesn't really matter, that doesn't make Spiderman MM the flagship, unless you want to claim Knack was flagship for PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Doesn't really matter, that doesn't make Spiderman MM the flagship, unless you want to claim Knack was flagship for PS4.

I figured that belonged to Killzone SF. 

sales2099 said:
Dante9 said:

Its not just about the launch titles, though. People pick one next gen console over the other based on the promise of what's to come. Sony maybe didn't have games like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne ready at launch, but they did show them almost from the very beginning. It gets people excited, creates a desire and it works, even if people have to wait 1 or 2 years to actually play them. Sony will do the exact same thing with GOW2, HZW and whatever else they'll show in August.

With MS's strategy it will just be a lot harder to get us hyped for next gen the way Sony's games will. I mean Halo Infinite did pretty much the opposite. I think it looked like a great game, but did it really make me want to rush out and buy a Series X at launch? Not really, I'm afraid.

The way things are, they are practically giving Sony a 2-year head start for building a next gen install base. By then most people have either bought a ps5 or want to buy a ps5 because their buddies are all playing on it. MS is fine with that as they're banking on GP, but a small install base typically means too much risk for AAA exclusives and less overall support from developers. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 30 July 2020

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

I figured that belonged to Killzone SF. 

It was a graphical showcase and somewhat of a technical demonstration of the PS4 power, but I wouldn't say it was a flagship. Guerilla Games weren't that well regarded and selling major numbers before Horizon, Killzone had good scores and grahpics but not that high sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Having a console war for fun is fine but taking it seriously like some fans do is silly. As long as you get what you want on the console you want why care what other people think of your console of choice.

Spoiler!
Nintendo wins and will always be the best bia**hes!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(