By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The console war is over

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

I figured that belonged to Killzone SF. 

It was a graphical showcase and somewhat of a technical demonstration of the PS4 power, but I wouldn't say it was a flagship. Guerilla Games weren't that well regarded and selling major numbers before Horizon, Killzone had good scores and grahpics but not that high sales.

Well yes I’m aware I’m just thinking of that one game that is day 1 associated with buying the console. In that regard it was KZ. Like how Ryse or Forza 5 depending on who you ask was associated with Xbox One. Looks like It’s essentially Halo up against Spiderman, despite their differences. Both will be the day 1 face of the console. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Unless you tell me Gow2 and HZD2 are launch titles day 1, I think you see the point I was making. Is there a bigger day 1 title then Spiderman MM? 

Its not just about the launch titles, though. People pick one next gen console over the other based on the promise of what's to come. Sony maybe didn't have games like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne ready at launch, but they did show them almost from the very beginning. It gets people excited, creates a desire and it works, even if people have to wait 1 or 2 years to actually play them. Sony will do the exact same thing with GOW2, HZW and whatever else they'll show in August.

With MS's strategy it will just be a lot harder to get us hyped for next gen the way Sony's games will. I mean Halo Infinite did pretty much the opposite. I think it looked like a great game, but did it really make me want to rush out and buy a Series X at launch? Not really, I'm afraid.

The way things are, they are practically giving Sony a 2-year head start for building a next gen install base. By then most people have either bought a ps5 or want to buy a ps5 because their buddies are all playing on it. MS is fine with that as they're banking on GP, but a small install base typically means too much risk for AAA exclusives and less overall support from developers. 

What you are saying is essentially marketing. Each one needs to market the potential. In that regard I’d say Sony has the advantage. MS has the on paper but for some reason isn’t translating that enough. That said even though they were CG trailers, I can see people being excited at the return of Fable and Obsidian making their own Skyrim on Xbox only. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

It was a graphical showcase and somewhat of a technical demonstration of the PS4 power, but I wouldn't say it was a flagship. Guerilla Games weren't that well regarded and selling major numbers before Horizon, Killzone had good scores and grahpics but not that high sales.

Well yes I’m aware I’m just thinking of that one game that is day 1 associated with buying the console. In that regard it was KZ. Like how Ryse or Forza 5 depending on who you ask was associated with Xbox One. Looks like It’s essentially Halo up against Spiderman, despite their differences. Both will be the day 1 face of the console. 

Ok, so yes calling it a flagship is wrong, but we both can agree that so far MS wants Halo to be the reason to want an Xbox (be it One or Series X) and Sony is with Spiderman MM, unless in the next couple months they show more stuff.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Ok, so yes calling it a flagship is wrong, but we both can agree that so far MS wants Halo to be the reason to want an Xbox (be it One or Series X) and Sony is with Spiderman MM, unless in the next couple months they show more stuff.

Fair enough, yes my flagship label was wrong. I just meant “day 1 face of the console”. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Fair enough, yes my flagship label was wrong. I just meant “day 1 face of the console”. 

As much as I don't care about Halo and it is crossgen and Spiderman have sold more than it this gen, I would guess Halo have more power to move Series X than MM to move PS5. Thankfully first couple to 6 months people buy because of loyalty or future shows so it may not affect much the sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

As much as I don't care about Halo and it is crossgen and Spiderman have sold more than it this gen, I would guess Halo have more power to move Series X than MM to move PS5. Thankfully first couple to 6 months people buy because of loyalty or future shows so it may not affect much the sales.

Yup that’s how it goes. Brand power spillover from this gen is going to play a much bigger role. Halo Infinite can be the best looking game I’ve ever seen, that ain’t gonna help much in Europe/Japan. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yup that’s how it goes. Brand power spillover from this gen is going to play a much bigger role. Halo Infinite can be the best looking game I’ve ever seen, that ain’t gonna help much in Europe/Japan. 

I don't remember you doing it in the forum, but I find it curious that almost no game on the MS show had a release date but we have had some of the Xbox fans saying MS stopped showing games over 1 year before release in this gen and complaining of Sony doing it, now they haven't complained MS done it.

Myself I love that we get early announcements and know what is to come.

Europe with several countries in crysis may be fertile ground for Gamepass and in near future Xcloud.

Peace and Love! Can we have Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll too?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

RolStoppable said:

It's a fitting tweet for a company who hasn't found an answer to a pressing question in the last seven years. Microsoft's defeatist attitude shone through in last week's Xbox event - I haven't watched it, but I know enough - so it's no surprise that one of their guys wants to pretend that the console war is over in order to distract from hardware sales. Microsoft wasn't in a bad position to challenge Sony's PS5, but instead of going on the offensive and being daring, they more or less quietly accepted their role as a distant third in the global console business.

That's not to say that the XSX will sell worse than the XB1. It will do better, because the XSX is merely unspectular and can bank on Game Pass (gaming for cheap matters, just look up how Steam centralized PC game sales for the most part), unlike the XB1 which sucked butt. That's an improvement for sure, but Microsoft didn't want to go any extra miles. If you want to win, you have to show that you want it. Spencer and friends showed none of that.

This stands in stark contrast to the Xbox 360 era where Microsoft seriously aimed to have the best-selling console and celebrated their NPD wins time and time again. Good hardware sales mean good software sales and high subscription rates, so of course it's important to sell as much hardware as possible. This hasn't changed. What has changed is that Microsoft doesn't want to hear about it anymore. That's because they couldn't figure out how to be winners.

That's the problem, the gaming community doesn't know what winning is. What happens when you win, how do you win, what is winning in the console market, what does the trophy look like when you win?.... Its always been about money, how you make that money comes in all different shapes and sizes. 

Lets use an example,

We have two companies.. Company A and Company B. Company A sells more hardware than Company B by a fair margin and made $3b in total revenue.. Company B sells half the hardware as Company A but sells double the Software and Services and its revenue gain was $5b, who won? Company A for selling more hardware or Company B who made more overall revenue/profit? 

MS Giving up to make more money isn't giving up, they are aiming bigger and i am sure Sony are too. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 30 July 2020

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

I don't remember you doing it in the forum, but I find it curious that almost no game on the MS show had a release date but we have had some of the Xbox fans saying MS stopped showing games over 1 year before release in this gen and complaining of Sony doing it, now they haven't complained MS done it.

Myself I love that we get early announcements and know what is to come.

Europe with several countries in crysis may be fertile ground for Gamepass and in near future Xcloud.

Let me clarify, it’s more we don’t like Sony doing it because their fans use them in “list wars” for literally years before they are released. Agent, FF Versus 13, GT5, FF7, etc. 

And now ironically, when the shoe is on the other foot, PS fans are complaining we getting games announced years before. It’s literally their own medicine but that seems lost on many of them (shrugs)