Microsoft is actually rumored to have 2 more shows. One in August, which is apparently focused more so on hardware and services than games, where they are expected to announce Series S/Lockhart, and release date and pricing info for both consoles, as well announce what is going on with Xbox Live Gold (lots of rumors they are dropping it soon in favor of either online play as part of Gamepass, or free online play). However, it's doubtful we will see any new games there, since it's hardware and services focused, if they show any games will probably be new trailers or gameplay demos for games from the July show. The 2nd show is rumored for November, and was teased by Microsoft at the 53:48 mark in their July show, when Matt Booty said "Now, you may have noticed we didn't get to visit all of our Xbox Game Studios today. That means we'll have more to share later this year", which seems to imply that the remaining 6 XGS studios that weren't on the July show will have announcements on a second show later this year. It's also likely that a second show could have gameplay trailers or demos for some of the games that didn't have gameplay on the July show, as well as more Xbox Global Publishing announcements, since XGP only announced a single game on the July show, but are known to have many more in development.
As for Sony, it's rumored that they have a State of Play coming in August where they will announce several more games and reveal pricing and release date info for PS5.
Unless they are showing cg trailers of games coming 5 years out I see it unlikely that anyone is gona show all the games every studio is making. Some just released games this year theres no way they are ready for another showing. I know some studios have multiple teams but even so, that's to early. Maybe sony has some hidden as they really dint show a lot of their teams. But Microsoft showed 9/15.
Well, let's look at the 6 studios that Microsoft didn't have on the July show and what Booty might have been teasing in regards to them:
- inXile- I'm really not sure what they might announce later this year. It's rumored their next game is a huge AAA RPG with a budget higher than either Fable reboot or Avowed, that won't release until 2024 or 2025, because they have to expand the studio just to have enough devs to make it. I would be shocked if MS showed a CGI teaser for a game that won't release for 4 or 5 more years. However, they are releasing Wasteland 3 next month, so maybe Booty was teasing a DLC announcement for Wasteland 3 at the second show.
- The Initiative- They've been working on a AAA game since 2018. It's rumored that they may actually be an incubation studio, which is why they are so small, people at the Initiative lead development on a game, while another studio does the development grunt work. Rumor is they might actually have 2 AAA games in development, both co-developed with another studio, supposedly The Coalition is co-developing the one that has been in development since 2018 with them. I could see Microsoft announcing this game with a CGI trailer, or possibly an early pre-alpha in-engine trailer.
- The Coalition- If the rumors of them co-developing with The Initiative are true, MS could knock out 2 birds with one stone by announcing that game. It's also possible that Microsoft will show a more in-depth look at the Series X enhancements for Gears 5, since they only showed a few seconds of them on the July show.
- Mojang- Mojang actually recently announced that they have multiple teams and studios working on multiple games at once. So while the main team will continue to update Minecraft, and another continues to update Minecraft Dungeons, one of the other teams/studios could announce a new game. It's also possible that Microsoft could announce that they are reviving the cancelled Minecraft Super Duper graphics update for Series X/PC only.
- Compulsion- They are supposedly early development on their next game, a new IP. Microsoft could announce it with a CGI trailer like they did with Fable and Avowed. Another possibility would be a Series X port of We Happy Few, with improved graphics, all the DLC packs, and other improvements to the gameplay and such.
- World's Edge- They are co-developing Age of Empires 4 with Relic currently. Microsoft could show a new trailer or demo for AoE 4, and maybe announce a console port for it.
Microsoft also should have more 2nd party/Xbox Global Publishing announcements incoming, because they only announced 1 on the July show, and we know from an earlier interview that they have many more in development, including whatever game Ken Lobb has been the creative director on for the last 4 years (some rumors he might be creative director on a Perfect Dark reboot developed by a 2nd party studio).
As for Sony, I think they will probably announce God of War 5 with either a CGI trailer or an early in-engine trailer, and there are also rumors that they held back some 2nd party games and some 3rd party moneyhats.
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 26 July 2020