Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 vs Xbox SX exclusive games

Which console has the better set of announced exclusive games in your opinion?

PS5 52 68.42%

Xbox Series X 24 31.58%

Total:76
LudicrousSpeed said:
Runa216 said:

IT is smart to wait (Seriously, any new console's first year is barren), but is PS4 is anything to go by, Sony will have a slow start but end with a bang whereas Xbox will start strong but flounder after a couple of years. that happened three generations in a row, now. I wouldn't put too many eggs into the basket of the one with the better launch even if I understand the desire to do so. 

Good thing Xbox is in an entirely different position with drastically different goals than they were in those past generations. I’m going to own both consoles eventually, it makes complete sense to go with the stronger launch window.

I wish I could say the same for myself. In reality, I got the Xbox One in 2014 (summer after it came out) and I've played maybe 20hours of game time on it since. I literally have spent more time updating the firmware on the console than playing games on it. But that's just me being harshly critical again because...again, it's been like 10 years since I seriously put time into an Xbox Machine (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 in the summer winter of 2009-summer 2010)

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
shikamaru317 said:

The reasoning behind making it free vs locking it behind Gamepass would be that Gamepass costs twice as much as both Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus, they'd be putting themselves at a pricing disadvantage against Sony next gen, unless they start offering multi-month discounts on Gamepass like they always have on Gold. Also, online play for Xbox games on PC is free, even though those games are using the same servers as the Xbox versions, which is unfair to the console owners. So while they would be losing alot of Gold revenue by making online free, they would be giving themselves a major advantage over Sony next-gen in the form of free online play, and they could also put the money they were spending on 4 Games with Gold each month towards adding more games to Gamepass each month instead, boosting the value of Gamepass which would in turn boost Gamepass subscriber counts.

Those free games are trash usually and probably cost microsoft a dollar. Microsoft knows console gamers will pay for online, but PC gamers won't because there is alternative services out there. The only reasons I can think of to make xbox live free is to get a leg up on the competition and because a lot of Microsoft's games are now GaaS they can generate more money by having customers buy DLC/Micro transactions

Some months they are trash, but other months they have good games on GWG. For instance, just in the last 12 months, GWG has had games like Tekken 6, Jurassic World Evolution, both seasons of Telltale's Batman, 2 Shantae games, Call of Cthulhu, Ninja Gaiden 3, Sonic Generations, and Saints Row 2. I reckon they could get at least 2 more decent games on Gamepass each month with the GWG money. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 26 July 2020

shikamaru317 said:
Snoopy said:

Those free games are trash usually and probably cost microsoft a dollar. Microsoft knows console gamers will pay for online, but PC gamers won't because there is alternative services out there. The only reasons I can think of to make xbox live free is to get a leg up on the competition and because a lot of Microsoft's games are now GaaS they can generate more money by having customers buy DLC/Micro transactions

Some months they are trash, but other months they have good games on GWG. For instance, just in the last 12 months, GWG has had games like Tekken 6, Jurassic World Evolution, both seasons of Telltale's Batman, 2 Shantae games, Call of Cthulhu, Ninja Gaiden 3, Sonic Generations, and Saints Row 2.

A lot of those games are old and aren't exactly that great imo. However, I do think Microsoft want people to buy xbox game pass instead of xbox live and as I said before their games are becoming more and more GaaS which means they will be able to sell more Microtransactions/ DLC. However, it is still wishful thinking. Is there any proof they will make xbox live free?

Snoopy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Some months they are trash, but other months they have good games on GWG. For instance, just in the last 12 months, GWG has had games like Tekken 6, Jurassic World Evolution, both seasons of Telltale's Batman, 2 Shantae games, Call of Cthulhu, Ninja Gaiden 3, Sonic Generations, and Saints Row 2.

A lot of those games are old and aren't exactly that great imo. However, I do think Microsoft want people to buy xbox game pass instead of xbox live and as I said before their games are becoming more and more GaaS which means they will be able to sell more Microtransactions/ DLC. However, it is still wishful thinking. Is there any proof they will make xbox live free?

Proof? Not really. Some insiders been hinting at free MP, some have been hinting at Gamepass MP. We'll just have to wait and see which they will go with, free MP for the Mic drop moment on their August show and increased long term revenue, or Gamepass MP for the increased short term revenue. Either way, Gold seems to be dying, that is why Microsoft dropped 12 months subscriptions recently. 

shikamaru317 said:
Snoopy said:

Proof? Not really. Some insiders been hinting at free MP, some have been hinting at Gamepass MP. We'll just have to wait and see which they will go with, free MP for the Mic drop moment on their August show and increased long term revenue, or Gamepass MP for the increased short term revenue. Either way, Gold seems to be dying, that is why Microsoft dropped 12 months subscriptions recently

Didn't realize Microsoft dropped 12 month subscription recently. If that is the case, that is actually decent proof. They might just include xbox live with xbox game pass for no extra cost.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 26 July 2020

Around the Network

I think they'll come together in one package - xCloud, Game Pass, and XBL together - rather than free online. This would allow MS to significantly increase the number of users of their additional services, which someone will try once, it will not be so easy to give up ;)

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

Second big show? I was under the impression that neither had another big show. Just that they will both be more in depth about the launch lineup exclusively and their pricing. Its rumored both have "held back" some games, but both companies wording have leaned more in about more detail of what they have already shown. 

Microsoft is actually rumored to have 2 more shows. One in August, which is apparently focused more so on hardware and services than games, where they are expected to announce Series S/Lockhart, and release date and pricing info for both consoles, as well announce what is going on with Xbox Live Gold (lots of rumors they are dropping it soon in favor of either online play as part of Gamepass, or free online play). However, it's doubtful we will see any new games there, since it's hardware and services focused, if they show any games will probably be new trailers or gameplay demos for games from the July show. The 2nd show is rumored for November, and was teased by Microsoft at the 53:48 mark in their July show, when Matt Booty said "Now, you may have noticed we didn't get to visit all of our Xbox Game Studios today. That means we'll have more to share later this year", which seems to imply that the remaining 6 XGS studios that weren't on the July show will have announcements on a second show later this year. It's also likely that a second show could have gameplay trailers or demos for some of the games that didn't have gameplay on the July show, as well as more Xbox Global Publishing announcements, since XGP only announced a single game on the July show, but are known to have many more in development. 

As for Sony, it's rumored that they have a State of Play coming in August where they will announce several more games and reveal pricing and release date info for PS5.

Unless they are showing cg trailers of games coming 5 years out I see it unlikely that anyone is gona show all the games every studio is making. Some just released games this year theres no way they are ready for another showing. I know some studios have multiple teams but even so, that's to early. Maybe sony has some hidden as they really dint show a lot of their teams. But Microsoft showed 9/15.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
shikamaru317 said:

Microsoft is actually rumored to have 2 more shows. One in August, which is apparently focused more so on hardware and services than games, where they are expected to announce Series S/Lockhart, and release date and pricing info for both consoles, as well announce what is going on with Xbox Live Gold (lots of rumors they are dropping it soon in favor of either online play as part of Gamepass, or free online play). However, it's doubtful we will see any new games there, since it's hardware and services focused, if they show any games will probably be new trailers or gameplay demos for games from the July show. The 2nd show is rumored for November, and was teased by Microsoft at the 53:48 mark in their July show, when Matt Booty said "Now, you may have noticed we didn't get to visit all of our Xbox Game Studios today. That means we'll have more to share later this year", which seems to imply that the remaining 6 XGS studios that weren't on the July show will have announcements on a second show later this year. It's also likely that a second show could have gameplay trailers or demos for some of the games that didn't have gameplay on the July show, as well as more Xbox Global Publishing announcements, since XGP only announced a single game on the July show, but are known to have many more in development. 

As for Sony, it's rumored that they have a State of Play coming in August where they will announce several more games and reveal pricing and release date info for PS5.

Unless they are showing cg trailers of games coming 5 years out I see it unlikely that anyone is gona show all the games every studio is making. Some just released games this year theres no way they are ready for another showing. I know some studios have multiple teams but even so, that's to early. Maybe sony has some hidden as they really dint show a lot of their teams. But Microsoft showed 9/15.

Well, let's look at the 6 studios that Microsoft didn't have on the July show and what Booty might have been teasing in regards to them:

• inXile- I'm really not sure what they might announce later this year. It's rumored their next game is a huge AAA RPG with a budget higher than either Fable reboot or Avowed, that won't release until 2024 or 2025, because they have to expand the studio just to have enough devs to make it. I would be shocked if MS showed a CGI teaser for a game that won't release for 4 or 5 more years. However, they are releasing Wasteland 3 next month, so maybe Booty was teasing a DLC announcement for Wasteland 3 at the second show.
  • The Initiative- They've been working on a AAA game since 2018. It's rumored that they may actually be an incubation studio, which is why they are so small, people at the Initiative lead development on a game, while another studio does the development grunt work. Rumor is they might actually have 2 AAA games in development, both co-developed with another studio, supposedly The Coalition is co-developing the one that has been in development since 2018 with them. I could see Microsoft announcing this game with a CGI trailer, or possibly an early pre-alpha in-engine trailer.
  • The Coalition- If the rumors of them co-developing with The Initiative are true, MS could knock out 2 birds with one stone by announcing that game. It's also possible that Microsoft will show a more in-depth look at the Series X enhancements for Gears 5, since they only showed a few seconds of them on the July show.
  • Mojang- Mojang actually recently announced that they have multiple teams and studios working on multiple games at once. So while the main team will continue to update Minecraft, and another continues to update Minecraft Dungeons, one of the other teams/studios could announce a new game. It's also possible that Microsoft could announce that they are reviving the cancelled Minecraft Super Duper graphics update for Series X/PC only.
  • Compulsion- They are supposedly early development on their next game, a new IP. Microsoft could announce it with a CGI trailer like they did with Fable and Avowed. Another possibility would be a Series X port of We Happy Few, with improved graphics, all the DLC packs, and other improvements to the gameplay and such.
  • World's Edge- They are co-developing Age of Empires 4 with Relic currently. Microsoft could show a new trailer or demo for AoE 4, and maybe announce a console port for it.

Microsoft also should have more 2nd party/Xbox Global Publishing announcements incoming, because they only announced 1 on the July show, and we know from an earlier interview that they have many more in development, including whatever game Ken Lobb has been the creative director on for the last 4 years (some rumors he might be creative director on a Perfect Dark reboot developed by a 2nd party studio).

As for Sony, I think they will probably announce God of War 5 with either a CGI trailer or an early in-engine trailer, and there are also rumors that they held back some 2nd party games and some 3rd party moneyhats. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 26 July 2020

Snoopy said:

The reason I prefer xbox exclusives is because they are multiplayer focused and last longer. Sea of theive, Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon/Motorsport, and Everwild are games I will play multiple times. Whereas games like God of war and bloodborne do have amazing SP, but I know I won't play it more than twice once I am finished.

Interesting, I feel the opposite. Give me a good SP to play for a week then I'll move to the next. GoW was good. BB not so much, there wasn't a boss in the first area so I quit and went to play GTA5, never went back to it. It's better than buying DLC for 3 years until the next big MP game.

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

Well, let's look at the 6 studios that Microsoft didn't have on the July show and what Booty might have been teasing in regards to them:

• inXile- I'm really not sure what they might announce later this year. It's rumored their next game is a huge AAA RPG with a budget higher than either Fable reboot or Avowed, that won't release until 2024 or 2025, because they have to expand the studio just to have enough devs to make it. I would be shocked if MS showed a CGI teaser for a game that won't release for 4 or 5 more years. However, they are releasing Wasteland 3 next month, so maybe Booty was teasing a DLC announcement for Wasteland 3 at the second show.
  • The Initiative- They've been working on a AAA game since 2018. It's rumored that they may actually be an incubation team, which is why they are so small, people at the Initiative lead development on a game, while another studio does the development grunt work. Rumor is they might actually have 2 AAA games in development, both co-developed with another studio, supposedly The Coalition is co-developing the one that has been in development since 2018 with them. I could see Microsoft announcing this game with a CGI trailer, or possibly an early pre-alpha in-engine trailer.
  • The Coalition- If the rumors of them co-developing with The Initiative are true, MS could knock out 2 birds with one stone by announcing that game. It's also possible that Microsoft will show a more in-depth look at the Series X enhancements for Gears 5, since they only showed a few seconds of them on the July show.
  • Mojang- Mojang actually recently announced that they have multiple teams and studios working on multiple games at once. So while the main team will continue to update Minecraft, and another continues to update Minecraft Dungeons, one of the other teams/studios could announce a new game. It's also possible that Microsoft could announce that they are reviving the cancelled Minecraft Super Duper graphics update for Series X/PC only.
  • Compulsion- They are supposedly early development on their next game, a new IP. Microsoft could announce it with a CGI trailer like they did with Fable and Avowed. Another possibility would be a Series X port of We Happy Few, with improved graphics, all the DLC packs, and other improvements to the gameplay and such.
  • World's Edge- They are co-developing Age of Empires 4 with Relic currently. Microsoft could show a new trailer or demo for AoE 4, and maybe announce a console port for it.

Microsoft also should have more 2nd party/Xbox Global Publishing announcements incoming, because they only announced 1 on the July show, and we know from an earlier interview that they have many more in development, including whatever game Ken Lobb has been the creative director on for the last 4 years (some rumors he might be creative director on a Perfect Dark reboot developed by a 2nd party studio).

As for Sony, I think they will probably announce God of War 5 with either a CGI trailer or an early in-engine trailer, and there are also rumors that they held back some 2nd party games and some 3rd party moneyhats. 

Well all you showed seems unlikely for ms as you even say some are super far away and some just started. I dont think none of the big 3 have ever showed every card in their hand in one year. What would they have next year? The same games showcased? Not gona happen.

Now second party stuff that makes way more sense. I would not doubt both companies have some third party deals in the works as well. 

I heard the rumors of god of war. But it only has 2 years of dev time. The most I can inmagine is just a cg trailer with no release date. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.