By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How satisfied are you with the graphics of the games of the current generation?

How tolerant are you with the possibility of graphic stagnation?

Intolerant. Wouldn't buy ... 8 13.33%

Tolerant, but very unsati... 5 8.33%

Tolerant. Would support i... 26 43.33%

Very Tolerant, don't care... 21 35.00%

Total:60

I'm quite happy with the level of graphics provided by the Switch.

To me, games like Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 look beautiful. Hell, I still regularly fire up my older platforms and still find the graphics in many PS3, 360, even Wii games to be quite pleasing.

Around the Network

Graphics are going to make a gigantic leap in the next decade and it will require magnitudes more of processing power to achieve it. So no, I'd not be fine to be deprived of huge progress because some people have lower standards.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Very satisfied. I still play games like the old Half Life and newer retro styled games like Ion Fury. Today games have hit a level where it now doesn't bother me how good they look because i still find games like Zelda Twilight Princess and it still looks good.

I just revisited and finished Splatoon 2 on Switch, and that game still amazes me on how good it looks and plays.

It also helps if the games are well designed in the gameplay and story departments as that never ages where as visuals will continue to degrade as years go on. Modern gamers should be very lucky they have hardware that can render visuals so well however it shouldn't be the defining factor of a purchase.

Remember the ps1 techdemo with the tyrannosaurus rex you could rotate,or the giant manta rog?
I was like woooow daaaaad this looks so real!!!
We used to fill in the gaps with out own imagination,nowadays imagination is less and less needed.,hell even a link to the past felt very immersive for me because i pictured myself to be link and i miss that aspect of gaming or from my childself as i rarely have that same wonder over games anymore.

I don’t care, it’s fine how it is now. I’m sure a lot is happening under the hood with newer engines and that’s great for developers, but the visual improvement of the final picture, by that I mean the thing I perceive in motion from 4 meters away, is barely improving anymore. I expect it to be pretty much non-existent going from Gen 9 to 10.

Around the Network

I'm fine with graphics being sacrificed for other more substantial improvements. However, we can't start taking a backwards step either.

To pick the low-hanging fruit, something like Halo Infinite with that kind of development time, budget, running on vastly improved hardware, should not look worse than some current open world titles, regardless of 60fps and whatnot.

Following the implicit meaning of this question, that better graphics (I assume a generational leap) usually means better specs in
the system then yes, I "care" about graphics. Because the same resources used to achieve them can also be used to improve upon the game itself, rather than
just the the visuals. In that sense, better graphics results in better games.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

GamingRabbit said:
Following the implicit meaning of this question, that better graphics (I assume a generational leap) usually means better specs in
the system then yes, I "care" about graphics. Because the same resources used to achieve them can also be used to improve upon the game itself, rather than
just the the visuals. In that sense, better graphics results in better games.

There isn't such implicit meaning in this question. I actually pointed that we can have better hardware used to improve other gaming elements

While I appreciate snazzy tech as much as the next guy, or possibly more so as I have an active academic interest in it, I feel like nowadays graphics come more down to good optimization and art direction than raw power.

I don't think there will ever come a day for example when I look at Trine 4 and think "ew, this looks like crap". Heck, I still think Mario Galaxy looks great and that's a 13 year old game running on overclocked 2001 hardware.

So while I am interested to see what new technological advances can be made with PS5 and Xbox Series X, I'm more interested in how that power can be applied to create more interactive worlds and emergent gameplay than how many polygons or pixels they can push.

I'm fine, I'd rather devs paused a while res and FX race to focus more on framerate, more complex gameplay (when appropriate), nonlinear gameplay, better AI, better physics and wider game worlds with more interactivity. I'd welcome too a pause in games graphics requirements to allow dev tools and libraries to catch up enough to keep dev costs under control. But hey, maybe about this, AA devs could simply follow their way, wait for AAA devs and publishers to collapse under the weight of out of control costs and take their place.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!